Red Sea Colors supplements

Kamila89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers!!
I want to step up and start dosing ABCD supplements. I read the instructions and it says dose based on Cal consumption. My thing is,that my Cal consumption is very little,most of my corals are LPS and they take maybe 5 ml every week no even, they consume way more Kh which I do have to dose every day.
I Got the test kit and my Iron is 0.03 ppm, Iodine 0.05 ppm, potassium above 400ppm. So how can I start dosing my 135g? I’m confuse in how to use the Active element?
I’ll appreciate any advice.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not even need to dose it if you are barely using any calcium and alk. I would only consider dosing trace at this time if you know something in your tank is using a lot of a particular element (like refugiums) or you do not do water changes.

The ABCD colors should be dosed 1ml for every 20ppm calcium you use (if you use red sea calcium, it is 1 ml of each trace bottle per 10ml of their calcium).

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for whatever you are wanthing/thinking about dosing. No point on spending the $22 on supplements if your tank doesn't need/use them.

I would test for iodine,potassium and get a ballpark number first.

Potassium should be around 400-420,but 410 always seems to be the sweet spot.

Iodine (Iodide) should be about 0.04-0.06ppm

jk1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using these supplements about a month ago and it really has brightened up the colors in my corals and also has appeared to encourage growth. I have a mixed sps/lps tank though. I do not follow the dosing based on cal though....and I have not tested any of the elements in the four part supplement. I live dangerously lol. I only dose .70mL daily in a 32gl and have seen no negative impacts whatsoever. Anytime I add a new supplement I always start well below the suggested level and work my way up, but I don’t intend to go any higher than my current dose here.

The directions say for a LPS tank though it may work best to dose weekly versus daily due to the lower cal uptake.

Red Sea:
“LPS corals have a lower uptake of calcium and therefore they can tolerate the Color Elements being supplemented weekly. They will however benefit from a daily supplementing regime. Choose which of these supplementing options is best for you and your aquarium.”

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back