Red Sea E170 Max - Flow Grill Confusion

TwostepT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I'm brand new to reef tanks. After months of thinking about it, I pulled the trigger when I found a cheap second hand E170 (with the sump upgrade).

However I have realised that It doesn't have all the parts original parts, which I'm now working out what I do and don't need.

After cleaning the tank up, I'm now in the process of putting it together. In the manual regarding flow grills, it says - "The circulation pump chambers are prepared for flow grills to be added when the system is upgraded to the in-cabinet sump."

I've got one thats closed, one thats open. I can't figure out how to attached the open one.

So a few questions:
1. Am I missing a flow grill, do I need to oder another?
2. How do I attach the flow grill?

I can get the closed grill to attach but not the open flow grill. I feel like I'm missing a part, would love to have a trained eye look at this and give me some guidance.

I'm sure this is a total noob question, and in hindsight I probably should have brought new as its my first time. But I do love the tank and can't wait to get started. I know in this game its all about patience so I want to get this right before I try and fill this bad boy up!

Thank you in advance!

IMG_8417.JPG IMG_8418.JPG IMG_8419.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pictures are hard to interpret. None of them seem to relate to a flow grill

OP
OP
T

TwostepT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm Sorry about that!

In the manual it has a picture of whatever those circular things are in the last picture under flow grills.

What are those circular parts called and how do I fit them to the tank?

Thanks for your time!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you sure the first on (on the second picture) - isn't the piece you put into the outlet from your pump - up the tubing - into the tank? (i.e. the outflow)? Second do you have the correct tubes - My guess is that the 'open one' - connects the tube that I see in the manual - thats why you can't just put it on the hole. At least the manual I'm looking at shows plumbing coming down from the top hole (like in your first top picture) going downward?

OP
OP
T

TwostepT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the first on (on the second picture) - isn't the piece you put into the outlet from your pump - up the tubing - into the tank? (i.e. the outflow)? Second do you have the correct tubes - My guess is that the 'open one' - connects the tube that I see in the manual - thats why you can't just put it on the hole. At least the manual I'm looking at shows plumbing coming down from the top hole (like in your first top picture) going downward?
Hi,

Yup you're absolutely correct!

So I think I put the closed cap in the bottom outlet and the "open tube" on the top outflow outlet.
The top outlet is for the return pump when its AIO, but the pump is now down in the sump.

Thanks very much for taking your time to help me!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

Yup you're absolutely correct!

So I think I put the closed cap in the bottom outlet and the "open tube" on the top outflow outlet.
The top outlet is for the return pump when its AIO, but the pump is now down in the sump.

Thanks very much for taking your time to help me!
Your welcome. If water comes squirting out of somewhere its not supposed to don't blame me:)....

delilahshannon19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain that the first one (on the second picture) isn't the piece you inserted into the outlet from your pump - view up the tubing - into the tank? (That is, the outflow)? Second, do you have the correct tubes? My guess is that the 'open one' connects to the tube shown in the manual, which is why you can't just put it in the hole. At the very least, the manual I'm looking at shows plumbing coming down from the top hole (as shown in your first top picture) and going downward?

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I'm brand new to reef tanks. After months of thinking about it, I pulled the trigger when I found a cheap second hand E170 (with the sump upgrade).

However I have realised that It doesn't have all the parts original parts, which I'm now working out what I do and don't need.

After cleaning the tank up, I'm now in the process of putting it together. In the manual regarding flow grills, it says - "The circulation pump chambers are prepared for flow grills to be added when the system is upgraded to the in-cabinet sump."

I've got one thats closed, one thats open. I can't figure out how to attached the open one.

So a few questions:
1. Am I missing a flow grill, do I need to oder another?
2. How do I attach the flow grill?

I can get the closed grill to attach but not the open flow grill. I feel like I'm missing a part, would love to have a trained eye look at this and give me some guidance.

I'm sure this is a total noob question, and in hindsight I probably should have brought new as its my first time. But I do love the tank and can't wait to get started. I know in this game its all about patience so I want to get this right before I try and fill this bad boy up!

Thank you in advance!

IMG_8417.JPG IMG_8418.JPG IMG_8419.JPG
the attachment with the nozzle goes on the top. Insert it from the rear sump side and then you should be able to screw it onto the threads that you see in the picture.

The grills go onto the bottom holes of the rear sump. Place it in the whole (from the rear again) and turn to lock in place. You should be fine with one open grill and one closed grill. It does seem you are missing the gaskets that go onto the grills, it shouldn't really give you an issue though. I can see the closed grill has an o-ring, but it really shouldn't matter. You can buy the gaskets direct from Red Sea for a couple of bucks.

Here's a pic of my tank so you can see them installed
PXL_20210716_164019244.NIGHT.jpg

I converted my e260 to a sump tank and never replaced the grills.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back