Red Sea Filter Rollers

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully recognizing that filter rollers (ClariSea and Klir) aren't perfect, they are clearly en vogue and many very experienced reefers swear by them. After reading several nightmarish posts from members that have removed the filter sock compartments in their Red Sea Reefer sumps--some prior to getting the system wet and some to an established tank (oof)--and considering the number of Reefer systems that are out there, I reached out to Red Sea to see if they had a roller filter product in development that would fit sweetly into existing sumps. This would seem like a goldmine considering the number of Red Sea tanks in operation, the success of the filter rollers and the continuing revenue stream to Red Sea for replacement filter material. I contacted Red Sea and asked if there was such a product in development and, unfortunately, there is not.

So with that said, does anyone know of a product, 3D print, etc., that allows for an easy plug-and-play with a ClariSea and a Red Sea system without breaking glass and tearing up your sump?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many experienced reefers don't even have filter socks or Roller systems. They run nothing because they are trying to keep nitrates and Phosphates high to feed their corals. Those units are not the "in thing" for experienced Reefers..

As a Red Sea owner. I have tried several methods to filter water water. Presently I am using the Red Sea Mesh sock filters.

Method 1. Floss socks.. Messy, retain allot of gunk after rinsing. Must get washed with soap to get clean again.
Method 2. Mesh socks.. Messy to rinse out. Rinsing gets 98% of the gunk out. No need to wash in a machine.
Method 3. Filter cups... To do this method you fill the cup with a Bio media like Seachem matrix. You fill it just above the slots. Then you use a layer of Filter floss over the top. To clean out the cups you grab the old floss and trash it, replace with new floss. Easy to do. but your sump will get dirty fast and need cleaning more often.

Back