Red Sea Foundation B (Powder)

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting broke having to buy the ready-made liquid of Red Sea B, in saying that my intention is to stay with this brand and turning my head onto its powder version.

For those that have utilize Red Sea B in powder version, can you tell me if it's hard to completely mix the powder and making the solution? Do I need a strong flow in mixing this? Would the heat of the mixing pump makes the Alk precipitates hence making the final solution less stronger than what it suppose to be? Once fully dissolved and ready, can I just treat that just like how their ready-made solution is? as in, no need to shake them, since I plan to dump it to a dosing container.

Anything that you finds it annoying when preparing the product?
Anything else I should be aware of before I purchase it?

TIA :D

s-l300.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't help but I'm interested in the answer. I too have always used the liquid version and wouldn't mind savings a few bucks.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging.

I'm using the RS ABC+ powder with RS Colors C & D.

Have you guys seen the price of their 5 Liter liquid jugs of Reef Foundation? :(

The last time I looked it was about $90 and jug. :eek:

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mixed it and it completely dissolved after stirring just a couple of times. I'm using all their powders without any issues so far.
I am also diluting it at ex recommended because of my dosing method.
I see that your diluting for your method and that's good, we all find things that what works for ourselves.

From what I've read on the powders.
If your mix to full strength then you would dose to the same amounts to their pre-mixed liquids.

Is that correct?

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern with mixing your own liquid is doubling the risk. The first risk is already in the dosing pump accuracy. There is no such thing called 100% accuracy, there id a degree of error there.

The 2nd risk is how accurate the mix is. Whilst from the ready made, you know that '1ml will raise the alkalinity of 100 liters (25gal) by 0.036 meq/l (0.1dKH)' again there's degree of error here.

Or am I being too pedantic?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak for myself, but I'm going to give the powder version a try based on the responses above. I plan to just test regularly for a while to make sure levels are maintained as well as they've been with the pre-mixed version.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the IV drip type infusion pump. It runs constantly instead of on for short bursts. When I set it up using tips off of R2R, it was suggested to dilute to run a little faster drip. Made sense, so I set it up like that.
Dialing it in was just constant testing and just turned it up or down til kh stayed where I wanted. Right now I am at .7 ml per hour and it seems to maintain.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak for myself, but I'm going to give the powder version a try based on the responses above. I plan to just test regularly for a while to make sure levels are maintained as well as they've been with the pre-mixed version.
Your going to be fine :) and if the ABC+ powder goes wacko on me, then I'll be following your lead and firing back up my DOS pumps.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the IV drip type infusion pump. It runs constantly instead of on for short bursts. When I set it up using tips off of R2R, it was suggested to dilute to run a little faster drip. Made sense, so I set it up like that.
Dialing it in was just constant testing and just turned it up or down til kh stayed where I wanted. Right now I am at .7 ml per hour and it seems to maintain.
Smokin,

I Love It!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Many ways to skin a cat. :)

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't take the credit. I believe I got this idea from twilliard and a few others originally. Although I dose nopox through a drews doser, I was never completely confident in the other dosing apparatus'. whether it be timer malfunction or something else, some of the horror stories gave me pause. I'm sure the failures were a very small percent of users but I was still wary.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't take the credit. I believe I got this idea from twilliard and a few others originally. Although I dose nopox through a drews doser, I was never completely confident in the other dosing apparatus'. whether it be timer malfunction or something else, some of the horror stories gave me pause. I'm sure the failures were a very small percent of users but I was still wary.
I love how we all do things differently and we can learn from each others methods.

It's like your doing a kalk drip and makes sense. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know twilliard is schooling it up but, dang, we all miss him!

(lol) I'm waiting on him and @Rick.45cal to conquer Dino's!

Last edited:
OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, few questions which may sound a bit silly but sometimes it does make a difference ...

1. It says to mix with RO water .. would RODI water be okay?
  2. Do I need to heat the water?
  3. Powder first or water first or doesn't matter?
  4. Strong mix (powerful pump) or gentle mix (smaller pump)?
TIA!

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did- right or wrong idk:
1. RODI
2. No hea3
3. Water first
4. No powerhead, I only mixed 2 liters so I just stirred with a short piece of rigid 3/8 pvc pipe. Stirred in, waited about 10 min stirred again. Repeated and water was clear with no settling.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did- right or wrong idk:
1. RODI
2. No hea3
3. Water first
4. No powerhead, I only mixed 2 liters so I just stirred with a short piece of rigid 3/8 pvc pipe. Stirred in, waited about 10 min stirred again. Repeated and water was clear with no settling.

Cool thanks! as per #4, do you see anything wrong with shaken not stirred? What's in my head .. put it in 2L coke bottle (rinsed clean of course) ... just shake the hell of it ...what's your thoughts?

Back