Red Sea Foundation B (Powder)

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would be an issue. As you can see in pic, I actually preferred a 2 liter fanta bottle but to each his own. Lol
9966a5d42405d171cc609a1f3719475e.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would be an issue. As you can see in pic, I actually preferred a 2 liter fanta bottle but to each his own. Lol
9966a5d42405d171cc609a1f3719475e.jpg

Smokin,
Is there a hospital in the SC area that is missing some IV pumps? :)

Last edited:

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just setup my dosing pump earlier with the plan to dos Red Sea Reef Foundation B (Alk). I mixed up about 1/2G of the solution using the recommendation for mixing (10 scoops + RODI water...heated slightly).

Based on a number comments a few above I noticed some miss understanding or I may miss understood the product going into this myself.

Observation:
  • Powder form does not seem to be exact as the liquid version
    • It does not raise the PH as the liquid version. (I just dos my nano to test things out to be sure and the PH dropped!)
Needless to say I was shocked. I expected a slight bumped in PH as I pumped in 1ml. Instead the opposite happened.

Now I will need to check the ALK shortly but wanted to put this out as I like to use this and at the same time looking for PH bump along with this. I know most don't need the PH bump so it works well for the need.

Thoughts?

I quickly research and there was a comment on BRS from this individual and the observation:
"
DIFFERENT THAN RED SEA FOUNDATIONS B LIQUID PRODUCT BY TOM ON 3/3/2015

TOM wouldn't recommend this product to a friend

This product, when mixed according to the directions, has only about one-third the strength of the liquid version of Red Sea Foundations B. Red Sea has clarified this in a few forums. Further, a stock solution mixed from the powder has a much lower pH than the liquid version. So, while the product does add alkalinity you will add 3x the dose of their liquid product and you won't get the usual pH bump either. After I've used it up I will go back to the liquid version or try a different product. I like their powdered version of Foundation A but not the powdered B product. Apparently, they can't ship the powdered ingredients of the "true" RS-B in the US so the powdered product actually is different than the liquid.
"

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested ALK and sure enough it's up (to 10 dKH) but PH dropped slightly by .03-.05 for about 1ml. Typically my ALK is low 9.x for passed month. Pics of the test
IMG_20170518_185928.jpg

IMG_20170518_190037.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just setup my dosing pump earlier with the plan to dos Red Sea Reef Foundation B (Alk). I mixed up about 1/2G of the solution using the recommendation for mixing (10 scoops + RODI water...heated slightly).

Based on a number comments a few above I noticed some miss understanding or I may miss understood the product going into this myself.

Observation:
  • Powder form does not seem to be exact as the liquid version
    • It does not raise the PH as the liquid version. (I just dos my nano to test things out to be sure and the PH dropped!)
Needless to say I was shocked. I expected a slight bumped in PH as I pumped in 1ml. Instead the opposite happened.

Now I will need to check the ALK shortly but wanted to put this out as I like to use this and at the same time looking for PH bump along with this. I know most don't need the PH bump so it works well for the need.

Thoughts?

I quickly research and there was a comment on BRS from this individual and the observation:
"
DIFFERENT THAN RED SEA FOUNDATIONS B LIQUID PRODUCT BY TOM ON 3/3/2015

TOM wouldn't recommend this product to a friend

This product, when mixed according to the directions, has only about one-third the strength of the liquid version of Red Sea Foundations B. Red Sea has clarified this in a few forums. Further, a stock solution mixed from the powder has a much lower pH than the liquid version. So, while the product does add alkalinity you will add 3x the dose of their liquid product and you won't get the usual pH bump either. After I've used it up I will go back to the liquid version or try a different product. I like their powdered version of Foundation A but not the powdered B product. Apparently, they can't ship the powdered ingredients of the "true" RS-B in the US so the powdered product actually is different than the liquid.
"
Thank You
I've seen that post too.
I use the ABC+ Powder with Colors C & D. The ABC+ powder already has Colors A & B in that product.
If anyone wants to try the ABC+ powder then you must understand how to use it because it bumps up the big three all at the same time. If your don't understand how to use it then your big 3 will get out of balance.

I love the ABC + with Colors C & D and my corals speak for their selves.

If you want RS liquids in bigger jugs then Red Sea makes then in 5 liter but the last time I checked they are about $90 a a piece :eek:. You can get all three 5 liter jugs of AF comp 1 -3 for about $50 and it's a great product if you know how to lock them into 3 even doses.

I wrote a thread on the AF forum on how to lock them in to 3 even doses. I have some AF issues with some of their products but the Comp (1-3) is the best AF product out there but that's JMO...

I would love to try the TM balling but my reef looks great so if it ain't broke then I'm not fixing.

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back