Red Sea G2 Equipment?

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment has everyone been adding to the new Red Sea Reefer G2 systems?

I'm looking at a tank upgrade from my current set up of a 25 IM Lagoon and a 20 Long to a Red Sea Reefer on the larger side (425, 525, 625 or 750) and I don't currently know the full equipment list, this is what I currently have on the list:

Lights (already have)
Powerheads (already have)
Heater (already have)
Protein Skimmer (suggestions please, was looking at the red sea skinners)
Return Pump (again suggestions please, was looking at reef octopus models)
ReefMat

I also would like an aquarium controller + dosing but I probably will not purchase those with the initial tank.

Also if anyone owns any of the 425, 525, 625 or 700 I would love to see pictures !

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the start up you have listed most of the things you need. I would look into a heater controller.

For return pump I like the ecotech vectra models as well as the sicce sdc.

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the start up you have listed most of the things you need. I would look into a heater controller.

For return pump I like the ecotech vectra models as well as the sicce sdc.
Thanks for the suggestion of a heater controller, I will definitely add that to my list.
Do you have experience with ecotech return pumps? I was looking at that brand as well.

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral box 500+ skimmer and it’s a dc pump so you can adjust it which works great for my co2 scrubber set up to get ph dialed in.

for $300 it was a no brainer for the value and quality. I highly recommend it!

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my maxspect jump series pumps.
Heater controller I like analog dial finnex800u unit.
D
I'm in Canada and sadly maxspect is not a brand that is supplied by any of the LFS's nearby so I am probably going to have to pass on those pumps.
Although the heater is available and honestly looks like a great option so thank you for both suggestions!

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral box 500+ skimmer and it’s a dc pump so you can adjust it which works great for my co2 scrubber set up to get ph dialed in.

for $300 it was a no brainer for the value and quality. I highly recommend it!
I hadn't really looked into coral box skimmers before, curious what are their sound levels like? I don't really mind much sound just sometimes bugs my dogs. Looks like the perfect power though for what I am looking for.

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait on getting a skimmer til you need one. I would do a refugium first if possible.
Do you think it's realistic to do both a refugium + skimmer off the bat? I've always been very curious about refugiums just have not had the space to have one properly running.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Vectra; quietest pump I've ever had. I'd also put in a skimmer, to give your room that 'seaside' smell :face-with-hand-over-mouth:.

I've also installed a Reefmat, but I've turned it off for now because I'm struggling with low (i.e. near zero) nutrients.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's realistic to do both a refugium + skimmer off the bat? I've always been very curious about refugiums just have not had the space to have one properly running.

You can but I don't like the sterilizing effects of skimmers on bacteria in a young reef tank. That is one reason why I like to hold off on skimmers at first unless there is some reason to believe aeration will be an issue. If you run both, run the skimmer on a timer as that's a lot of export for a tank that won't have a heavy bioload for a bit.

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but I don't like the sterilizing effects of skimmers on bacteria in a young reef tank. That is one reason why I like to hold off on skimmers at first unless there is some reason to believe aeration will be an issue. If you run both, run the skimmer on a timer as that's a lot of export for a tank that won't have a heavy bioload for a bit.
Ok that does totally make sense, I think maybe just running it for like one day once a week at the start could work. Also I do plan to add my fish really slowly so as you said the tank will have a low bioload for a while, which I can probably just counter with some routine manual cleaning.

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Vectra; quietest pump I've ever had. I'd also put in a skimmer, to give your room that 'seaside' smell :face-with-hand-over-mouth:.

I've also installed a Reefmat, but I've turned it off for now because I'm struggling with low (i.e. near zero) nutrients.
Good to here another supporter for vectra pumps they are at the top of my list now.

So are ReefMat's really powerful then in terms of sucking nutrients out of the tank? Maybe I wait on one for a couple months post tank if that is the case.

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need new lights, powerheads, and heaters as well. The ones from smaller tanks might not scale well to 4ft+ tanks.
I will get one additional light but I already have 2 Aqua Illumination lights so 3 should be enough, they are pretty powerful I currently run them at like 20% max and that's more than enough for the current tanks. Let me know though if you think I should still add more.

Same with the powerheads I use the 2nd level of power and there is like 15 levels.

And true I will 100% need a bigger more powerful heater as I don't think this one can keep up with some of the cold winters.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I will get one additional light but I already have 2 Aqua Illumination lights so 3 should be enough, they are pretty powerful I currently run them at like 20% max and that's more than enough for the current tanks. Let me know though if you think I should still add more.

Same with the powerheads I use the 2nd level of power and there is like 15 levels.

And true I will 100% need a bigger more powerful heater as I don't think this one can keep up with some of the cold winters.
Lighting is going to depend on what you plan to keep. However you can always scale by adding more AI lights as needed. They are good lights.

You might be able to get more flow out of the powerheads, but they might not stick well on thicker glass. It depends on the powerheads you currently have. You could try getting stronger magnets.

OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is going to depend on what you plan to keep. However you can always scale by adding more AI lights as needed. They are good lights.

You might be able to get more flow out of the powerheads, but they might not stick well on thicker glass. It depends on the powerheads you currently have. You could try getting stronger magnets.
Yeah I don't mind adding a fourth light if need be. I think the magnets should be powerful enough as they seem very strong but I haven't tried on the thickness so that may be a problem. Hoping it is fine though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back