Red sea G2 vs G3. Did the issues get fixed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WillF2287
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I can’t think of a company that deserves to be boycotted more than Red Sea. Let’s pretend they fixed their issues with the 3rd gen, does it forgive their negligence with gen2? They knew of the defect gen1, then lied about gen2 being something different, ruined peoples homes, killed countless organisms, drove people out of the hobby.

It’s astounding to me how they still have a loyal following, and quite honestly when I see them for sale in a store I have to question the stores integrity.
 
Threads a little old but I figured I’d comment. We had a reefer 425xl circa 2020 let go on us in January. Happened at 2am and I couldn’t sleep so thankfully I was awake. We were able to save everything including our new carpet,…… That said, we did purchase a new 525 g3 and love it. I did talk to several local reefers around here and a Red Sea rep. They all explained the same thing. The silicone was inferior.

Apparently, they are using some type of bonding epoxy to set the glass then a layer of silocone on top. I’m not a glazer but looks ***** good to me. (Glazer at work tried to explain this to me but I’m a dumb **** electrician) The entire display looks waaaaaaay different and way more stout than my 425.

I’ve had a couple tanks fail though out my 40 years of keeping. Seems to come with the territory. It sucks when you spend that money and it only lasts 5 years. But, I’ve got friends with G1’s still going strong. They make a beautiful tank and hard to beat the price. I love the sump layout and how it looks in our living room. Next one we get will be a custom 300G display. Maybe bigger if the wife goes for it!!!
 
Threads a little old but I figured I’d comment. We had a reefer 425xl circa 2020 let go on us in January. Happened at 2am and I couldn’t sleep so thankfully I was awake. We were able to save everything including our new carpet,…… That said, we did purchase a new 525 g3 and love it. I did talk to several local reefers around here and a Red Sea rep. They all explained the same thing. The silicone was inferior.

Apparently, they are using some type of bonding epoxy to set the glass then a layer of silocone on top. I’m not a glazer but looks ***** good to me. (Glazer at work tried to explain this to me but I’m a dumb **** electrician) The entire display looks waaaaaaay different and way more stout than my 425.

I’ve had a couple tanks fail though out my 40 years of keeping. Seems to come with the territory. It sucks when you spend that money and it only lasts 5 years. But, I’ve got friends with G1’s still going strong. They make a beautiful tank and hard to beat the price. I love the sump layout and how it looks in our living room. Next one we get will be a custom 300G display. Maybe bigger if the wife goes for it!!!

You got a legit Red Sea rep to admit they know about the issues and admitted it’s inferior silicone causing the issues?
 
Threads a little old but I figured I’d comment. We had a reefer 425xl circa 2020 let go on us in January. Happened at 2am and I couldn’t sleep so thankfully I was awake. We were able to save everything including our new carpet,…… That said, we did purchase a new 525 g3 and love it. I did talk to several local reefers around here and a Red Sea rep. They all explained the same thing. The silicone was inferior.

Apparently, they are using some type of bonding epoxy to set the glass then a layer of silocone on top. I’m not a glazer but looks ***** good to me. (Glazer at work tried to explain this to me but I’m a dumb **** electrician) The entire display looks waaaaaaay different and way more stout than my 425.

I’ve had a couple tanks fail though out my 40 years of keeping. Seems to come with the territory. It sucks when you spend that money and it only lasts 5 years. But, I’ve got friends with G1’s still going strong. They make a beautiful tank and hard to beat the price. I love the sump layout and how it looks in our living room. Next one we get will be a custom 300G display. Maybe bigger if the wife goes for it!!!

Yes 300! I just got fish in my new CG 300 setup, and now wish I would have done a 120x30x25 instead or 96! 😆
 
You got a legit Red Sea rep to admit they know about the issues and admitted it’s inferior silicone causing the issues?

Have yet to hear a rep say this, or even shops that sell the RS systems. Wonder if YZ heard that correctly haha!
 
I can’t think of a company that deserves to be boycotted more than Red Sea. Let’s pretend they fixed their issues with the 3rd gen, does it forgive their negligence with gen2? They knew of the defect gen1, then lied about gen2 being something different, ruined peoples homes, killed countless organisms, drove people out of the hobby.

It’s astounding to me how they still have a loyal following, and quite honestly when I see them for sale in a store I have to question the stores integrity.
I’m also a victim of Red Sea tanks. I honestly don't trust any of their products anymore. I'm not an idiot—their other equipment is low quality too, like the ATO for example.
 
When I got my first tank 3 years ago the RedSea G2 models Just came out and we’re supposed to have addressed the seam bust issues associated with the G1. 2.5 years later my front left and back right seams started to fail on my RedSea 525 G2. RedSea was great and replaced the tank under warranty. I now have a new 525 G3 tank (only the display aquarium portion was replaced). Beautiful tank. Only time will tell if the tanks stands the test of time . . .
Same here. I purchased a G2 in October of 2022 and the front right seam is starting to fail. I reached out to Red Sea and they replaced my tank with a G3 (tank only). I received it within 2 weeks. Time will tell.....
 
I’m also a victim of Red Sea tanks. I honestly don't trust any of their products anymore. I'm not an idiot—their other equipment is low quality too, like the ATO for example.

I get the tanks are bad. That is a fact. But you make such a statement that their ATO’s are low quality…… I say you need to come to the table with better arguments other than because I said so. The reefmat is about the best you can buy on the market, the dosing units can be argued about, for me they work I have used one for about a year. Not a single issue with the dosing being used to dose basic parameter needs.

On to the ATO, got a Tunze Osmolator 3. Not a bad unit, but….. they are known to trip out if the high voltage UV units are near it. I switched to a RS for three of my tanks, in the 1.5 years I have used it not a single issue. Yet just saw a thread with Tunze from a member talking about literally burned a hole into sensor units. One guy had two burn outs take place. (Yes even the replacement to)

I get it some projects are just bad, RS tanks, but that does not mean other products they sell can’t be good. Just my view on said subject.


Let’s remember anything under the sun on Gods green earth can break down. But the RS ATO for my and my three units has not been the case.
 
Let's get back to the tank seams itself.. Longevity.. I personally wouldn't own a Red Sea tank over 40 gallons.. Imagine a 150+ setup for over 1 to 2 or even 3 years and come home to a seam leaking.. No one wants that.. But they're notorious for it...
 
Maybe better said, earned business vs fancy marketing.
 
Yes, they have addressed the issues.
gonna take a little more than that for people to trust them... tank wise..

2 generations of them leaking?

what's the third gonna change..

I'd rather have one them oollddd aio's they used to make like 20 years ago and trust that lol
 
Yes, they have addressed the issues.
To me the tanks were only part of the issue. Is the company that allowed this to happen and is still shielding themselves from it fixed or changed?

I will never spend another dollar on RedSea products, even their test kits, even if they are the last company standing. I have not been directly affected by the tank failures, but have watched it happen and watched their response.
 
Here is my G3 - just failed tonight and dumped 1/2 my 110gallon display water on the ground. Front was separating on the right side.

Purchased in October of 2022 - was happy until I’m not.

Now I have to figure out how to save my livestock.



IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5739.jpeg
 
I would suggest a rubbermaid stock tank in the short term until you can get a replacement setup.
 
I would suggest a rubbermaid stock tank in the short term until you can get a replacement setup.
Agreed!

Get the fish and livestock in some temporary holding containers, better one big container. That way you can get your water movers and heater in one place.

If you have a farming supply store close I would opt for a Rubbermaid stock tank like @BeanAnimal mentioned.

Don’t forget to test the water frequently in the container for a rise in ammonia. I’ve lost fish in containers being complacent.

So sorry.
 
Here is my G3 - just failed tonight and dumped 1/2 my 110gallon display water on the ground. Front was separating on the right side.

Purchased in October of 2022 - was happy until I’m not.

Now I have to figure out how to save my livestock.



IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5739.jpeg
That looks like a G2 since it does not have the Eurobrace that the G3 display tanks have.
 
That looks like a G2 since it does not have the Eurobrace that the G3 display tanks have.
The G3 tanks were not released until late 2025, either…

I see all too many listings on the used markets for larger “G3” tanks which obviously lack any eurobracing, and/or “have been running for X year(s)”…
 
Here is my G3 - just failed tonight and dumped 1/2 my 110gallon display water on the ground. Front was separating on the right side.

Purchased in October of 2022 - was happy until I’m not.

Now I have to figure out how to save my livestock.



IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5739.jpeg

As stated above this is not a G3. They literally just hit the market. You have a g2 or a g2+

If the silicone has not been change we should start seeing issues possibly in a year with the g3. And this is a maybe. Hard to say.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new