Red Sea LED 90s

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, Ive never set up lights before, a friend did my Kessils in the past. I got these with my Reefer 525, and Im trying to get them right, but I just can't figure them out. Im thinking the lights are wrong, because my corals don't look as good as they did before. they are set to go on at 8am, ramp up to 40% blues's, 30% white at 11. at 1 they ramp down till 5pm. does this sound right? looking for any advise please, I'm very new.

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you aren’t running them at full power? Reefer 525 is a good size tank - for comparison I run a reefled 90 over my reefer 170 (46 gal) at 100% blue, 50% white (I.e., 20k spectrum) for about 11 hours total

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current coral stocking?

Seems like longer than necessary ramp up/down. I only ramp up/down my 90s for an hour

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be able to run these at 100% blue and then whites to preference for viewing. as stated before ramp for 1 hour and try a total of 9-10 hours for blue on times. personally i like a few hours of blues only before and after whites. so i only run my whites midday (4 hours) for peak lighting. rest of the times its straight actinic.

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the other members, I think you need to up the wattage. Use one of the presets at 100%, then adjust the white leds to your liking. This will give you the correct photo period and ramp times. I'm running a ReefLED 90 over a frag tank at 70% blues with a water depth of 14 inches.

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you aren’t running them at full power? Reefer 525 is a good size tank - for comparison I run a reefled 90 over my reefer 170 (46 gal) at 100% blue, 50% white (I.e., 20k spectrum) for about 11 hours total
thank you for the reply! I don't understand the spectrum, but its at 15k. I've messed with it a little, but I was having bad algae on the glass at 60% so the LFS said to drop it to 40% I will jump it up and see what happens. when I had the Kessil, my friend said since I have softies, to keep it lower. Maybe since they are 2 different lights, there is different technology??

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current coral stocking?

Seems like longer than necessary ramp up/down. I only ramp up/down my 90s for an hour
I really just have softies. Zoas, a couple leathers, and mushrooms..I have bought a couple hard corals not thinking, and they started to die, so I quickly gave them away. My perimeters were good, so I was a little confused. so you would say start the lights at 8 am, be at the peak at 9, stay at the peak till 4, then off at 5? Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be able to run these at 100% blue and then whites to preference for viewing. as stated before ramp for 1 hour and try a total of 9-10 hours for blue on times. personally i like a few hours of blues only before and after whites. so i only run my whites midday (4 hours) for peak lighting. rest of the times its straight actinic.
thank you very much!

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the other members, I think you need to up the wattage. Use one of the presets at 100%, then adjust the white leds to your liking. This will give you the correct photo period and ramp times. I'm running a ReefLED 90 over a frag tank at 70% blues with a water depth of 14 inches.
thank you!!

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the reply! I don't understand the spectrum, but its at 15k. I've messed with it a little, but I was having bad algae on the glass at 60% so the LFS said to drop it to 40% I will jump it up and see what happens. when I had the Kessil, my friend said since I have softies, to keep it lower. Maybe since they are 2 different lights, there is different technology??
could be something else causing the algae on the glass. how new is this tank? maybe your nutrient balance is out of whack?

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really just have softies. Zoas, a couple leathers, and mushrooms..I have bought a couple hard corals not thinking, and they started to die, so I quickly gave them away. My perimeters were good, so I was a little confused. so you would say start the lights at 8 am, be at the peak at 9, stay at the peak till 4, then off at 5? Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!
Just softies and Zoas should be fine at that low level of light for awhile - although I would aim to raise the light percentage once you get algae under control. No reason you can’t run those lights at 100% - 15k spectrum preset eventually.

how much are you feeding? I would feed every other day (or every two days even - assuming no high metabolism fish like chromis or anthias) small amounts for about a month to get nutrients under control

I would also try and do 20-30% weekly water changes during this time as well

once you get nutrients in check you can up the feeding to 1x daily - but always be mindful of over feeding

id recommend a quality flake food as well. I find that the flakes stay suspended in the water and are more likely to be eaten, instead of pellets which can drop into sand and decompose. This is a good flake - I think you can get it on Amazon https://reefbuilders.com/2021/04/14/cspro-with-calanus-spirulina-is-our-new-favorite-flake-food/

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be something else causing the algae on the glass. how new is this tank? maybe your nutrient balance is out of whack?
At that time the tank, sand, and plumbing was about a month old. All rock was established. I had never run GFO before, but the LFS recommended I did. I also add phosphate stuff to lower the phosphate.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget massive water changes you can’t control nutrients that way. There are articles on that. Your best bet is good skimming with growing chaeto in the sump. You can feed heavy and remove it. Cuc to control and just help with looking cleaner in tank.

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just softies and Zoas should be fine at that low level of light for awhile - although I would aim to raise the light percentage once you get algae under control. No reason you can’t run those lights at 100% - 15k spectrum preset eventually.

how much are you feeding? I would feed every other day (or every two days even - assuming no high metabolism fish like chromis or anthias) small amounts for about a month to get nutrients under control

I would also try and do 20-30% weekly water changes during this time as well

once you get nutrients in check you can up the feeding to 1x daily - but always be mindful of over feeding

id recommend a quality flake food as well. I find that the flakes stay suspended in the water and are more likely to be eaten, instead of pellets which can drop into sand and decompose. This is a good flake - I think you can get it on Amazon https://reefbuilders.com/2021/04/14/cspro-with-calanus-spirulina-is-our-new-favorite-flake-food/
Thank you! Are you saying feed the fish every other day? Right now I’m feeding rods mix of herbivore, and original blend once a day, and later in the day I do s few pinch of new life spectrum. I see what you are saying about the pellets falling to bottom. I do have 2 anthias. They always look so hungry! Haha. I will check out that link, thank you.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias have a fast metabolism and need frequent feeding. Like 3 times a day. Dont skimp on feeding you open the door to weak fish that can show aggression and are more prone to get sick.

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that time the tank, sand, and plumbing was about a month old. All rock was established. I had never run GFO before, but the LFS recommended I did. I also add phosphate stuff to lower the phosphate.
tank sounds pretty new. the rock was established in a previous aquarium with fish? or just bought as live rock from a LFS rock tank? rock that has been used to a certain bio load will do fine. but if its just rock in a tank with no fish then it may not have enough beneficial bacteria to sustain a certain number of fish. but if its only the 2 anthias then you should be fine. tanks will go through a ton of ugly stages over the first year or so. maybe upload a pic of the current tank and list your current filtration equipment. any testing equipment? my tank is roughly 2 years old. went through a bunch of ugly algae stages even with nutrients controlled. all i did was starve my corals and made their colors pale chasing nutrients to low levels. i purchased a bunch of herbivores (snails, a tang, and lawnmower blenny) and up'd the nutrients. colors are all good and no algae other than scraping the glass.

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry I should have explained better. I thought my last tank was leaking, so I quickly got another. In the tank there are 3 nems, 2 clowns, file fish, the 2 anthias, and purple and a Dory tang. I lost 1 anthias, and blonde Naso in the change over. I have a few hermits, snails, and a coral banded. For filtration I have a skimmer. For testing I have a Apex and the trident. When you say up the nutrition, how did you do that?

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing below is the skimmer adding gfo, and rows phos. The other side is ugly wires

Attachments

• 01F6FEAB-A1F5-413E-9FE9-D8E2B8779887.png
    01F6FEAB-A1F5-413E-9FE9-D8E2B8779887.png
    288.8 KB · Views: 51
  • C436426D-474A-43CE-AE08-72326E3D3275.png
    C436426D-474A-43CE-AE08-72326E3D3275.png
    668.4 KB · Views: 49

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank same lights. When I was running my lights at 100% I was getting 200+ par at the sand bed so I lowered them to 50% blues and 20% whites. I don’t plan on doing SPS so I didn’t need that much Par. 2 torches and a hammer in the sand bed and their doing fine.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, Ive never set up lights before, a friend did my Kessils in the past. I got these with my Reefer 525, and Im trying to get them right, but I just can't figure them out. Im thinking the lights are wrong, because my corals don't look as good as they did before. they are set to go on at 8am, ramp up to 40% blues's, 30% white at 11. at 1 they ramp down till 5pm. does this sound right? looking for any advise please, I'm very new.
Run them at 100%! Here’s my schedule.

Attachments

• 101E26FD-4342-43CE-8E74-63F6466DC475.png
    101E26FD-4342-43CE-8E74-63F6466DC475.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 41

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back