Red Sea Magnesium Pro Test Kit HACK

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I was procrastinating about testing my magnesium because the Red Sea test kit is pretty complicated. Anyone who has done this test probably knows the struggle of forgetting how many drops they already put because you have to count for 15 seconds for each drop and do that cycle for 5 times.

Here is the instructions card:

image.jpg

Here’s what I did:

I preformed 2 tests. One by following the exact instructions. And the second one was to add all 5 drops at once. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds, and continue with the test.

The results were EXACTLY the same. 66ml used. Or 1320ppm magnesium.

Im dumbfounded on why Red Sea wanted us to have this whole complicated procedure when results were the same.

The only thing I noticed from my Hack version was that the vial had more bubbles…but the color change was the same!

Magnesium is an element which doesn’t need to be at a certain level. It has a wide range from 1280 to 1500.

If anyone wants to try this hack method and compare it to the standard instructions, I’d be curious if anyone has different results from the 2 versions.

I’m ashamed to admit how many times I had to restart the magnesium test because of how I forgot how many drops I added. Turns out keeping score and counting to 15 seconds is really difficult unless you have a paper on the side to tally each drop off.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its notoriously difficult and in my case inaccurate and went in the bin years ago.

I now use the NYOS which is very simple and accurate to Triton tests

like you say its just so complicated and as such prone to errors

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent tried putting all drops in at once, but what I do is set my timer for 1 minute, add the first drop, start the timer, then add a drop every 15 seconds. Fifth drop is when the timer hits zero. I also have the sample in a stirrer, I use the SR Aquaristik Speed Test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing problematic about adding nearly all of the titrant all at once in any type of titration test up to just before the endpoint, as long as one does not go faster than the chemistry can keep up in those final additions.

Last edited:

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing problematic about adding nearly all of the titrant all at once in any type of titration test up to just before the endpoint, as long as one does not go faster than the chemistry can keep up in those final additions.
So in this case, just mix it for 60 seconds after adding 5 drops? That makes it a lot easier. Thank you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in this case, just mix it for 60 seconds after adding 5 drops? That makes it a lot easier. Thank you.

Whatever time the kit says is enough time for the last steps, even if you rush forward.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back