Red Sea Mature kit day 10, numbers way off, don't know what to do!

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae doesn't have to come from YOUR rocks, but perhaps some from a clean LFS tank or something?

You'll likely get some from coral frags and such that you get over time as well, I suppose. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but just know that it will take a bit longer to cycle as there aren't all the various bacteria strains and populations that live rock would have. It'll take you longer to build up the populations to handle the nutrients, basically.

I can take the crabs and snails out and put them back in my 75g tank if needed.
If they aren't dead yet, you'll likely be okay. Just keep your eye on the numbers and make sure they are moving in the right direction.

BTW - If you haven't already, you should start a build thread for this tank! People like me love to follow along and they are a great way to track changes in your tank (and process) over time. Also a fantastic place to get personalized information and advice (the tank history really helps diagnose issues so you don't have to explain everything every time you have an issue you need help on).

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retested with 2 other nitrate kits, 1 a different brand and got different results, 2 out of 3 had the results lower, so the one I initially used, doesn't seem to be accurate, I'm not going to use that one anymore. I'm going to monitor it much closer over the next couple of days to make sure ammonia etc are dropping

I don't plan on corals anytime soon, I've never had them so that will be new to me too, I do want corals in the future though, but for now, I need to get this tank up and running . Isn't there any other way to get coralline to grow without using live rock or corals etc. something I can dose the tank with?

The snails and hermits are doing fine, no one seems stressed, they're moving around a lot, doing their thing.

How do I start a build thread? :)

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start your build thread in the member tanks section of reef2reef. Then, add a link to your build thread page to your signature. Everyone loves the build threads. Include lots of photos.

Regarding the Nitrate tests, they are a PITA. some are not accurate, and all require very precise measurements. Be sure to use exactly the amount of water required in a well rinsed vial, and be sure to mix and shake the bottles for as long as directed. Coraline will grow, you can get a small piece of live rock with Coraline from your LFS and add it to the tank, scrape some of it off under water with a knife. It will start to seed the tank and grow if your parameters are favorable.

bill.mccrary42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having similar issues. My 1st saltwater tank, plus I have a HOB skimmer (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...o-fast-i-cannot-break-it-in-over-time.960450/).

So the NoPoX in the reef mature kit made mine go nuts and overflow on my floor - in a brand new setup w/ sump that overflowing would have been fine.

I did indeed have a bloom for a few days after removing the skimmer, and my nitrites & nitrates are off the charts right now. Zero ammonia. Starting to see some spots on my glass & some filaments on the pumps and elsewhere so something is happening. I'm on day 10 and am supposed to add my cleanup crew but not with high nitrites. Plan is to let the nitrites die down, do some water changes, then add the cleanup crew.

Also day 10 is when you add the last of the bacteria and the bacteria food, so I worry a little about not having a source of ammonia now going forward. What would you all do?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back