OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi PanchoG!

I have finally tired of bare bottom and the issues it creates. When Ryan at BRS gave it up on his 360, I threw the towel in as well. I put live sand in last night and thats just the cloud. It cleared up overnight. Now I will be able to put some small fish species that like to hang out on or in the sandbed.

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes this hobby is frustrating. I lost a torch, duncan, and frogspawn coral over a few days, all of which had been doing well for months. I have a gold hammer barely hanging on in a quarantine tank. I think I found the culprit. This IceCap magnetic dosing tube holder had cracked open and dumped some of whatever this gunk is on the magnet into the water column. I had it maybe for 6 months and it was placed above the water level.

dosing tube.jpeg

Last edited:

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bummer, sorry for your losses. Perhaps a double check in your water parameters would be good.

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yes, the flow is from the bottom, and then through the filter floss chamber (which is opposite of the skimmer). I have a marine pure block in the bottom shelf (cut to fit) and a bag of chemi-pure elite in the shelf above. Attaching a (bad) picture.

A9EC17A6-98B6-4F80-98CB-ABD500EBE675.jpeg
How often do you have to change the marine block since its the first filter in the stack?
How are your nitrates?
I am really struggling with my nitrates and I couldn't possibly feed the fish less than I am right now, they will starve. I am currently looking for a solution, saw your post and I just bought the media rack. Now I am researching what I should use in the chambers. I am also considering putting filter floss across the intake grill.

discostew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread. Still Debating the stock versus the intank media rack. I couldn’t tell before, but is the flow still from the bottom on both media racks? Just trying to see if it is worth the upgrade as the red sea rack looks fine

Alex_star

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello is this thread still alive? Lol I’m just wondering since I’m also an owner of a redsea max 170 just like you guys and I’m also thinking and considering about buying an Neptune Apex system bundle for the E170 and I was wondering where to put it and where to install everything one of the main ideas and plans I have in mind was to make a cable management control panel to hook everything up to then to have in the cabinet of the E170 to keep the clean, modern look going Any suggestions?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back