OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I thought I would give a little update today. I have two very tiny clownfish in the main tank. I have three corals in quarantine right now, a zoa and a pair of Lord Acans. I will be at the Carolina Reef Experience show in Columbia Saturday and plan to pick up a few more softie or LPS corals. Haven't decided which ones yet.
IMG_2175.jpg

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a cover from top-lids. It looks and fits great

11B2C972-B93B-49A7-92BB-9BDED5CA4809.jpeg

Nice looking lid! Is the moonlight feature "glow in the dark"? Or is it actually a powered light?

I tried to see how this works on the website but can't find anything.

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking lid! Is the moonlight feature "glow in the dark"? Or is it actually a powered light?

I tried to see how this works on the website but can't find anything.
it is powered by 9 volt battery. also came with ac adapter. I dont think its intended to run all night. With the red sea 90 light not having a convenient way to bypass its setup for a quick look at the tank, it is nice to be able to click the button and see into the tank at night.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very cool!

I like how the frame of the lid is built like a skeleton. I have a couple of different acrylic lids and they're nice, but kinda heavy. I imagine it's quite a bit lighter in weight then what I have. It wouldn't have to be built as heavy if it weighs less. Is it sturdy, built somewhat strong?

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very cool!

I like how the frame of the lid is built like a skeleton. I have a couple of different acrylic lids and they're nice, but kinda heavy. I imagine it's quite a bit lighter in weight then what I have. It wouldn't have to be built as heavy if it weighs less. Is it sturdy, built somewhat strong?
Hi Bossman. Remembering that my tank is slightly smaller than a 2 feet cube, yes it is fairly sturdy. Also note that it fits tightly--it is beveled in such that a way that maybe 1/4 or 1/8th of an inch of the acrylic fits under the top edge of the tank, with the bevel forming a perfect edge on top...it won't slip.

One day I would like to have a 6 foot tank and if I did I do not think I would want a one piece lid covering the whole tank.

Have a blessed day!

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Just a quick update. I installed a Tunze Osmolator ATO today. Followed video instructions from BRStv and the installation was a breeze.

Since my last update I have 6 Zoa frags out of quarantine. The 2 lord acans have formed new heads. I’ve ordered a set of camera lens covers to be able to take pictures of the tank. As soon as it gets here I’ll add some pictures
Thanks for all the help!
1870C0D8-85B5-4A7C-90BD-AB4FDB617F1A.jpeg

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Just peeking in to say hello. The tank is slowly progressing along. The Zoa's and Lord Acans are out of quarantine and in the main tank. I couldn't let the quarantine tank sit empty to I picked up a small hammer and a duncan, dipped them, and they are now in the quarantine tank. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

IMG_2338.jpg

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the Duncan and Hammer Coral our of quarantine today. I put a little food in for the clownfish and the Duncan’s tentacles come out. The coral is maybe 2 inches tall but the sweepers go up 4 or 5 inches! I didn’t realize they were that long. (Yes still a newb )
2F921BB5-49A1-43E1-94EF-C15635BEB7B4.jpeg

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I don’t really like with the Max e 170 is that if you don’t go for the sump option there isn’t anyplace for a filter sock. I’m trying this arrangement out with the media tray. I’ve got prefloss and floss in the bottom compartment, some carbon and a little GFO in the middle and some marine pure balls on top. If this set works well I will add some more marine balls and go with it. If you have this type of system please share how you are using the media tray. Thanks.

26212008-695E-4D41-A6A1-FEC8A9597E30.jpeg

Last edited:

AlessandroB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got the InTank media basket for the max e170 (this one) which (seems) to force the flow so that I can have filter floss in the upper compartment. But I agree, it would be nice if there was a way to do some mechanical filtering before the protein skimmer chamber.

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got the InTank media basket for the max e170 (this one) which (seems) to force the flow so that I can have filter floss in the upper compartment. But I agree, it would be nice if there was a way to do some mechanical filtering before the protein skimmer chamber.
Hi AlessandroB. Thanks for chiming in. I had seen that upgrade but wasnt sure about it. I assume you got the saw cut one they label for the E 170. It would be really nice to have something sturdier than what media basket that comes standard.

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took part in the wide world corals cyber monday sale here on R2R and have some 16-18 corals coming in. Looking forward to getting them through quarantine and in the main tank. I did attempt to place some VorTech MP10's on the tank and the magnets just arent strong enough. I have seen video on BRStv of those on this tank but I have no clue how they got them to stay. In an effort to keep the house a little better organized I did put most of my testing equipment in a foam case.

55508537-2522-4484-A817-D25851BE6CB6.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back