Red Sea Max 250 skimmer

Joe-S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with the standard rsm 250 skimmer can't seem to get mine to skim properly end up messing around with it for ages trying to get it to skim properly any tips would be handy or if anyone could recommend a decent replacement that will fit the rsm250 tank/sump at, or has one for sale maybe uk based preferably.
Thanks in advance

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience with the RedSea skimmers, but have you measured what the water level is in the sump chamber where your skimmer is and checked in your manual to see what Red Sea recommends?

I have a Nyos Quantum 160 which is not only super quiet - but an absolute workhorse. I have my water level in the sump chamber set to between 8-8.5” and I’ve adjusted the foam so that it stays just below the collection container. This seems to be ideal, and I don’t get excessive foam or skim foaming through the air slits in the collection cup.

Nikoliter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea rsk 300 skimmer in my Red Sea 250 tank. No problems. It works really good for me, too good. The only time I have issues is when the bubble trap filter clogs and it causes the water to raise in the skimmer changer and then it overflows, but other than that, no issues

redsea146

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea rsk 300 skimmer in my Red Sea 250 tank. No problems. It works really good for me, too good. The only time I have issues is when the bubble trap filter clogs and it causes the water to raise in the skimmer changer and then it overflows, but other than that, no issues
Hi...where did u put that Red Sea skimmer,in the back of the built in sump or did u add a sump?

redsea146

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redsea146

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I c u have the reefer

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with the standard rsm 250 skimmer can't seem to get mine to skim properly end up messing around with it for ages trying to get it to skim properly any tips would be handy or if anyone could recommend a decent replacement that will fit the rsm250 tank/sump at, or has one for sale maybe uk based preferably.
Thanks in advance
Tying in to the other, similar current thread, the advice provided by @blaxsun is spot-on. Proper function of the skimmer is contingent on proper flow from the surface skimmer and proper water levels in the reservoir. Do not fill up the reservoir to the top -- make sure that it's filled between the half-way and three-quarter point. Do not lower the surface skimmer to the lowest ("vacation mode") catchment point; make sure that's it's raised at least halfway up.

You'll also need to make sure that the airline is securely mounted. You will have to fiddle with the air-flow: there's a sweet spot between a giant, flowing mess and the bubble creation that you want. You should also clean the skimmer thoroughly at least once ever six months -- the gunk that's formed from the skimmate, when it's really caked on well, will prevent or inhibit bubble formation.

I actually kept my skimmer off for months before figuring this out. The manual really offers only vague hints of this.

WJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little late to this party. I acquired a 2nd hand RSM 250 early this year. First reef tank, but I am a lifetime freshwater aquarium keeper and a chemist. I have been retro-fitting and learning as I go. I plan to post a build thread eventually.....

That stock RSM 250 skimmer is hot garbage, and tuning it is a moving target. LFS had a used IceCap k1-50 skimmer that fits nicely in the AIO back sump (my $50 gamble worked out). I had to use the HOB piece on the skimmer to get it to sit at a correct height, but no biggie. Only real complaint is that the skimmate cup is a little small. I woke up to small surprise this morning. There is a drain port out of the bottom of the cup. I plan to plumb it to a catch bucket under the stand soon.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ditching the stock skimmers in both my 250s and replaced them with Tunze 9004s. They fit in perfectly in the "sump" with no modifications required.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back