Red Sea max E - 170 ATO help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im new to all this so please be kind :)

I have a Max E - 170 with the sum in the rear of the tank. I go through about 1/2 gal of water a day with evaporation. I bought an ato but realized that the ato float only had a few mm of travel from on to off. Since these sumps are narrow but deep the water the ato would pump with just a few mm would be almost nothing causing the pump to cycle a lot through the day.

I also need to know what the safety volume of water is so I can size the reservoir (so if the controller failed on I don’t flood my house) Does anyone know ? ( does anyone know how to calculate it ?

Is there an ATo recommendation for the MAX E. 170 ? I could build my own for about $50 but it may not be reliable.

Any help is appreciated

Terry

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Terry
Used to run the Red Sea 130 all in one with rear filtration too.
It was key to keep the back chamber's water level to keep the skimmer tuned in.

I used one of those 5 gallon RO/DI lab water container's and used the Tunze 3155 system, with it's pump inside the 5 gallon container.

I understand the 3155 is pricey, but it's top notch and the gold standard in top off systems.

You can also open it's controller box and dial it back to Nano mode, for slower pump speed.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Terry
Used to run the Red Sea 130 all in one with rear filtration too.
It was key to keep the back chamber's water level to keep the skimmer tuned in.

I used one of those 5 gallon RO/DI lab water container's and used the Tunze 3155 system, with it's pump inside the 5 gallon container.

I understand the 3155 is pricey, but it's top notch and the gold standard in top off systems.

You can also open it's controller box and dial it back to Nano mode, for slower pump speed.

I run the exact same system as GoVols on my Red Sea 170 max-e and it works great.

Ugg you guys are going to make me return this NANO and get the 3155 LOL (Im still think about putting the float valve on the fill line ;)).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back