Red Sea Max S-400 Questions

b_d_e91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I recently got a used Red Sea Max S-400 from another hobbyist. Unfortunately, I missed what appears to be a small hairline crack or deep scratch located near the internal overflow box. The blemish is strange as I just noticed it through the oval viewing panel that monitors the water level of the display tank and seems to be two separate lines/cracks I’ve read inconsistencies as to whether or not this could truly be a crack.

Luckily the tank is dry. I saw the tank completely set up about two weeks ago and did another freshwater leak test. I had water in the tank from Saturday afternoon to late Monday evening and did not see nor find any leaks near the crack/scratch or anywhere else. To ensure peace of mind, I have three questions:

1) Even when I turn my head slowly to check the depth of the blemish, I cannot seem to tell if this is just a deep scratch or a true crack. I’ve posted pictures for those to opine.

F8907F6B-ED86-4D02-9DDF-C7AB3AAE70B6.jpeg

Outside of Tank

8A664D7A-E94E-43ED-960F-416C158769B3.jpeg

Inside of the tank

352CFAC5-65CA-4A83-8A03-E3E577106693.jpeg

Finger denotes where the crack/scratch is from a top down view

2) Does the black plastic siding come off of the display tank? I am not talking about the trim, but the paneling that covers the back panel that’s apart of the overflow box and circulation pump area. It seems to be glued on. I’d like to remove it to get a better view of this scratch/crack. However, I don’t want to break it or worse apply enough force to potentially make this crack worse.

DB776D2F-D51D-442F-B254-4817430C3AC3.jpeg

Panel in question as to whether or not it can be removed

3) Assuming this is a crack, is it fixable, would I use Loctite silicone or the GE SCS1200 silicone?

Appreciate the guidance and help.

OP
OP
B

b_d_e91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, do you happen to know if that back panel can be removed? With that removed, it would be a lot easier to see.

I’ve reached out to Red Sea, but I haven’t see a reply.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1631666414415.png

I marked the places that resemble a crack. If you run your finger nail over it does your nail catch or is it smooth?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe make a nice paste and clean both sides of the glass real well with Bar Keeper's Friend (about $3 at Walmart), and reassess.

OP
OP
B

b_d_e91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It feels smooth on both sides adding to the confusion. I’ve tried to take another picture of it with a black background but it doesn’t look the same as last night. This is from the inside, apologies for the flash light in the way but I can’t get enough light and the phone in there to take another photo.

E829142C-79DE-46EA-8710-29873DC1D5FC.jpeg

Ok, I’ll get some bar keepers friend. Any additional directions besides creating a paste and applying, I should follow? Thanks!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it’s safe for your (empty) tank— I like to use a rag and scrub hard with 1 or 2 fingers— but rinse, rinse, rinse before filling your tank, so there is no residue to affect your water chemistry. After you are fully clean and rinsed on both sides, I would try to get a very strong flashlight and maybe a good magnifying glass to evaluate your scratch/crack. Best wishes!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It feels smooth on both sides adding to the confusion. I’ve tried to take another picture of it with a black background but it doesn’t look the same as last night. This is from the inside, apologies for the flash light in the way but I can’t get enough light and the phone in there to take another photo.

E829142C-79DE-46EA-8710-29873DC1D5FC.jpeg

Ok, I’ll get some bar keepers friend. Any additional directions besides creating a paste and applying, I should follow? Thanks!
Smooth also points to a crack instead of a scratch

Back