Red Sea / Max S-Series / Discussion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Always a great feel starting a new setup!

Ever thought of making a foam back rock wall? I like them as I never end up cleaning the back wall of any of my tanks.

Heres a pic of mine while silicone is drying to back wall late in 2017:
DSCN9366_zpsdskxjf1a.jpg_original.jpg

Full tank shot today:

20190208_153932.jpg
Very nice!

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I take out back wall intake covers? I would like to clean them before starting the tank, but I do not want to break them. I do not see anything obvious.
If you mean the round ones on the back wall they just unscrew out from the rear compartment side. Just reach in with your hand, turn (can’t remember which way!) and they will pop out. If you mean the overflow pieces at the top they just unclip and lift up.

I usually do it whilst balancing with one leg on the plastic stool kindly supplied by Red Sea!

It is worth cleaning them every 6 months or so otherwise they get encrusted with coralline algae that makes them harder to remove

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean the round ones on the back wall they just unscrew out from the rear compartment side. Just reach in with your hand, turn (can’t remember which way!) and they will pop out. If you mean the overflow pieces at the top they just unclip and lift up.

I usually do it whilst balancing with one leg on the plastic stool kindly supplied by Red Sea!

It is worth cleaning them every 6 months or so otherwise they get encrusted with coralline algae that makes them harder to remove

Shaun, thanks! Mine has bunch of encrusted algae on it and when I tried twist it from the back, it would not get loose. I was extra careful and will try with more pressure now, when I know I am on the right track. Thanks.

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have issues with their tank heating up too much during the day? I am getting over a 2 degree (F) swing over the course of a day. This is with running the house A/C at 70F.

A chiller is not out of the question, but I would like to avoid if possible. I am considering installing (3) 140 mm PC fans between the lights on the rail to see if it helps. Only caveat is it has to look good and not like a science project.

upload_2019-2-27_15-4-11.png

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not have too much issues by a 2 F swing specially counting you have A/C, a fan should be able to stabilize the temp if you want it.

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have issues with their tank heating up too much during the day? I am getting over a 2 degree (F) swing over the course of a day. This is with running the house A/C at 70F.

A chiller is not out of the question, but I would like to avoid if possible. I am considering installing (3) 140 mm PC fans between the lights on the rail to see if it helps. Only caveat is it has to look good and not like a science project.

upload_2019-2-27_15-4-11.png
I am getting only less than 1 degree swing. My tank stays between 77.2-77.9F and house is set at 72F during the day and can drop to 68 during night.

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I am trying a little experiment today to see if fans will even help. I got through last summer no problem, but the (2) XF280s I added in January generate more heat than expected.

upload_2019-2-28_8-17-38.png

Cheers!

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I am trying a little experiment today to see if fans will even help. I got through last summer no problem, but the (2) XF280s I added in January generate more heat than expected.

Cheers!
Try some fans over your sump too. I have 2 big ugly fans over my sump and 2 nice looking ones over the dt. Have not had to use a chiller on my maxs650. Used a a large chiller on my last build and wanted to avoid one on this build as it just generates too much heat in the house. Fans work.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers!
In the UK summer I have a large 16 inch pedestal fan that points down at the surface of the water and it easily keeps the tank cool enough. I just manually control it but you can easily plug in into a temperature controller/Apex to automate them.

CaptiveBredFred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been any word on if Red Sea will be bringing their ReefLed 90W LEDs, or their other new products to the Max lines?

I noticed Red Sea stopped selling the deluxe reefers with AI lighting because they have their own lighting that will be out in the states later this year. They will also have wireless Gyre style pumps and dosing pumps coming soon, which you can see on YouTube.

I took my wife to a LFS last weekend that had a Max S on display, and got permission to order an S500, but I will probably wait if Red Sea is going to do their own lighting on the line soon. It would be really cool to be all-in in the Red Sea ecosystem for these Wifi aquarium devices rather than a mix of AI, EcoTech, GHL, etc.

Isaac Obel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be following this thread. Picked up a pre 2016 with T5 lighting. Fish only for now. Do any RSM owners have a T5 hood they are looking to part with? West Coast area?

Nicholas Conner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday Red Sea confirmed they are ready to begin shipping the Max S series tanks with the ReefLED lights!

I placed my order for the Max S 500 with my LFS and now just have to wait 3 weeks or so for delivery.

Woo-hoo!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be following this thread. Picked up a pre 2016 with T5 lighting. Fish only for now. Do any RSM owners have a T5 hood they are looking to part with? West Coast area?

Isaac,
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef.

I still have my original 2013 10 bulb t5 canopy.

But, I'm holding tight to it, in case I ever go back to and full blown acro reef.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back