Red Sea Mg, Ca, Kh Dosing help please

NL.Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I want to start dosing but I would like some more tips/advice first. I am going to use Mg, Ca and Kh from Red Sea.

My aquarium is 560L and I do 1 water change (60L) every week and I measured my Mg, Ca and Kh every day last week so I know what my lps corals are consuming.

74403763-8C4D-4E4D-A28C-03D545FEE7A5.png

As you can see, there is quite a bit of difference in consumption and it goes down with a fluctuating decrease. Do u think that this is my fold or the testsets fold? I use Mg and Ca from salifert and Kh from Hanna checker.

I did a water change today after measuring so then tomorrow when I measure again, I can see how much the Mg, Ca and Kh have been strengthened by the water change, right?

I have never dosed before and would like to do it the right way. So I was curious how best to start with this.

I heard that you can dose Mg and Ca one after the other, but you have to leave an hour between them with Kh. And that it is better if you increase by no more than 20ppm daily.

For example my mg is now 1200. I want to get this to 1350 so according to Red Sea I have to add 150ml per 100L. This means I have to add a total of 840ml? If I want to increase this daily by 20ppm, do I have to add 110ml every day?

How can I best start with this now? I have read that in the beginning it is still very different with dosing so I want to add it manually in the beginning. I have a DD H2Ocean pro dosing device that I can use if I know what my fixed consumption is, right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water change will restore elements
The Ca and all work together, so assure there’s a balance when dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnesium changes are purely testing error and it is never needed to measure it every day, or even weekly.

Magnesium never depletes more than about 1/10th of the calcium depletion. Thus, true Mg depletion is rarely more than 1-2 ppm a day, often far less.

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RS manual has the instructions.

In order to prevent the effects of unbalanced levels of the foundation elements the supplements should be added in the following order allowing 10 minutes between each:
1st - Magnesium 2nd - Alkalinity 3rd - Calcium

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back