Red Sea Nano g2 cycling question

  • Thread starter Thread starter KingBrian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KingBrian

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2025
Messages
13
Reaction score
7
Location
La Pine
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i habe a Red Sea nano g2 AIO Cube 20g. It’s not totally set up yet, but I’m gonna be starting the cycle in about a month. I’m gonna be using Dr. Tim‘s nitrifying bacteria and ammonium chloride to start the cycle. My question is what should I have running in the back of this AIO during the nitrogen cycle? Should I remove the filter sock during that period ? And not put the bag of carbon that goes in back there as well? Obviously, I’m not gonna be running the protein skimmer. Thanks.
 
i habe a Red Sea nano g2 AIO Cube 20g. It’s not totally set up yet, but I’m gonna be starting the cycle in about a month. I’m gonna be using Dr. Tim‘s nitrifying bacteria and ammonium chloride to start the cycle. My question is what should I have running in the back of this AIO during the nitrogen cycle? Should I remove the filter sock during that period ? And not put the bag of carbon that goes in back there as well? Obviously, I’m not gonna be running the protein skimmer. Thanks.
Beside the skimmer. I'd keep all of my filtration throughout the cycle, including mechanical.
 
I personally would not have the carbon or sock either…what reason for the carbon? and why the sock, what would it be removing? Save the few pennies on the carbon and the cleaning of the sock.
 
I see really no point in running the media or socks. The vast majority of the biological filtration is going to take place in the rock and sand. I run a sock to polish the water after water changes only.
 
I personally would not have the carbon or sock either…what reason for the carbon? and why the sock, what would it be removing? Save the few pennies on the carbon and the cleaning of the sock.
That’s what I was leaning toward kind of what I always learned as the thing to do. There’s no reason for the carbon. So you don’t think I should keep the sock on then. What about cutting down on the noise? I’ve never had one of these Red Sea aio so I’m not sure how loud they are. Overall I was leaning toward exactly what you said. I just wanted to get some input. I appreciate your help.
 
I see really no point in running the media or socks. The vast majority of the biological filtration is going to take place in the rock and sand. I run a sock to polish the water after water changes only.
That’s what I was leaning toward. Makes perfect sense. Thank you.
 
I personally would not have the carbon or sock either…what reason for the carbon? and why the sock, what would it be removing? Save the few pennies on the carbon and the cleaning of the sock.
I think it depends on his home environment. Theres a lot of dust and dirt in the air around my area, and its better to be safe than sorry by keeping the filtration. You usually don't even need to clean it by the time it's cycled because there won't be that much debris. If there was a lot of debris, then you should be glad the filtration was there.
 
I see really no point in running the media or socks. The vast majority of the biological filtration is going to take place in the rock and sand. I run a sock to polish the water after water changes only.
Does it not atleast help to keep bio filtration? I can't think of any cons to having it for a cycle.
 
Does it not atleast help to keep bio filtration? I can't think of any cons to having it for a cycle.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. I just wasn’t sure if having a sock back there would hinder the cycle. If it has no effect then I’m gonna keep it there.
 
That’s what I was leaning toward kind of what I always learned as the thing to do. There’s no reason for the carbon. So you don’t think I should keep the sock on then. What about cutting down on the noise? I’ve never had one of these Red Sea aio so I’m not sure how loud they are. Overall I was leaning toward exactly what you said. I just wanted to get some input. I appreciate your help.
Running the tank without the sock shouldn’t affect the noice level, you can use it if you find it reduces the noise but my reasoning is for not using it now is the amount of detritus/ nutrients in the tank are going to be so small removing them is probably not going to be beneficial, it may reduce the nutrients too much if they even manage to pull anything out…just think about 6 months from now or a year, the amount of work the socks will be doing will be 100x what they have to do now, its like feeding a new born baby a steak dinner.
 
I think it depends on his home environment. Theres a lot of dust and dirt in the air around my area, and its better to be safe than sorry by keeping the filtration. You usually don't even need to clean it by the time it's cycled because there won't be that much debris. If there was a lot of debris, then you should be glad the filtration was there.
I think the OP was asking about what filtration would be a hindrance to the cycle, if he lives in a dirty dusty house I think he would know additional steps would probably be warranted and not need to ask for opinions on whether his dirty house required him to use additional filtration on his tank. ;)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new