Red Sea No Pox

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this a little while back but never used it. Been running a carbon and Phospate reactor and my Nitrates have been hovering around 3-6 and Phosphate up around .2. My acro are growing but I was trying to get them to color up some more. I read the bottle of the No Pox and it has Ether in it. Smells like it too. Am I crazy or is that unsafe to put in an SPS tank or any tank for that matter?

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its completely safe if you understand how to use it. It's a carbon source similar to dosing vodka or vinegar. Im sure others will chime in but you'll want to carefully read the directions and start slowly with the stuff.

Callok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had trouble with my nitrates creeping up. Been using it for about a year, with great results. Instructions say that it will also control PO4, and no need for GFO etc, however it has not been as good for PO4 control for me, so I still have GFO in a reactor.

OP
OP
Darbna

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had trouble with my nitrates creeping up. Been using it for about a year, with great results. Instructions say that it will also control PO4, and no need for GFO etc, however it has not been as good for PO4 control for me, so I still have GFO in a reactor.
do you use it while running reactor? I read mixed messages on that, but to tell you the truth, I am over changing media on reactors so If i didnt need to I would like to

Callok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you use it while running reactor? I read mixed messages on that, but to tell you the truth, I am over changing media on reactors so If i didnt need to I would like to
I originally had it in a filter sock, but seem to get better results in the reactor. The GFO lasts about 4-5 weeks before I notice the PO4 start to creep up. With the filter sock, it seemed to last 2-3 weeks.

Mindi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been using for 7 years, currently dose about 8 mls daily into 530 litres for NO3=0.5. Absolutely safe. Have never managed to achieve their claimed PO4 reductions, but it is awesome at NO3

phea2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be careful with nopox tho. It will increase your molybdenum level in your tank. High molybdenum can cause cyano. So make sure you do enough water change. But I have to admit nopox is an amazing product when used properly.

Mindi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely agree...stringy white bacterial threads are the first sign I get of over dosing, and then I sometimes get Cyano although I cant say it is caused by Nopox...but I have my suspicions. Just keep testing and hold your NO3 where you want it, IMHO you will need something else for PO4

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 106 43.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 47.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back