Red Sea Overflow Noise Solution

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sea reefer series seems to have a lot of complaints regarding the noise from the overflow. I've learned a lot from the community and I thought it was time to pay it back.

Much of the noise seems to stem from one of two things:
1) An air vortex forming in the main drainpipe
2) Sound from water going down the emergency pipe - normally a result of people trying to keep the water level just high enough to avoid the vortex mentioned in situation #1.

After struggling with this myself for a few days started to draw up some plans for a 3d printed solution. I quickly realized that there was an easier solution and that the reefing community is keen on DIY solutions. Thus, I stepped out to the garage, grabbed some scrap egg crate and made the shape seen in the attached image. This is just large enough to hang on the edges of the main drain's cup, while not falling down it. Furthermore, its shape disrupts the formation of the vortex at the water's surface. I can now keep the water in my overflow at a reasonable level that still results in an upward current from the bottom of the cup while simultaneously keeping the system silent due the the absence of the vortex... and it
only costing a few cents.

Cheers and happy reefing!

PXL_20201023_012248062.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,cool,thanks for sharing :) happy reefing

Richb5571

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sea reefer series seems to have a lot of complaints regarding the noise from the overflow. I've learned a lot from the community and I thought it was time to pay it back.

Much of the noise seems to stem from one of two things:
1) An air vortex forming in the main drainpipe
2) Sound from water going down the emergency pipe - normally a result of people trying to keep the water level just high enough to avoid the vortex mentioned in situation #1.

After struggling with this myself for a few days started to draw up some plans for a 3d printed solution. I quickly realized that there was an easier solution and that the reefing community is keen on DIY solutions. Thus, I stepped out to the garage, grabbed some scrap egg crate and made the shape seen in the attached image. This is just large enough to hang on the edges of the main drain's cup, while not falling down it. Furthermore, its shape disrupts the formation of the vortex at the water's surface. I can now keep the water in my overflow at a reasonable level that still results in an upward current from the bottom of the cup while simultaneously keeping the system silent due the the absence of the vortex... and it
only costing a few cents.

Cheers and happy reefing!

PXL_20201023_012248062.jpg
love this idea! Can you give me more details?

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishguy242 Sure! This has been in use for 4 months now and honestly, I rarely ever hear the tank. I'm listening carefully right now and I can hear a very soft trickle followed by the occasional drip, meaning that I've let the water come up a little too high and that I need to dial it back in. This only needs to be fine tuned about once a month though. This is probably the best DIY solution that I could have come up with for this. Super cheap. Super easy.

Shaady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this was posted awhile ago, but thank you so much. Dialing this thing in was driving me crazy. Cut crate, dropped it in, instant silence.

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this was posted awhile ago, but thank you so much. Dialing this thing in was driving me crazy. Cut crate, dropped it in, instant silence.
You just sit this piece inside the silencer cup?

Back