Red Sea Plumbing design/mechanics and valve adjustment

DavidBearWeber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain to me what the "return pipe with dial/valve" is designed to do? I just hooked up my RS 425 last night, for the first time, turned the dial all the way to the left, and turned on the pumps. Everything seems all good, but I keep seeing posts about making small adjustments. I do not know what or why to adjust.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reasons you might want to valve down or shut off a return pump might be for maintenance or to adjust flow.

Or do you mean the valve on the drain? That would be used to make your overflow quiet, by adjusting the flow through the siphon.

OP
OP
D

DavidBearWeber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reasons you might want to valve down or shut off a return pump might be for maintenance or to adjust flow.

Or do you mean the valve on the drain? That would be used to make your overflow quiet, by adjusting the flow through the siphon.
Ok, thanks

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You adjust the valve based off your return pump pressure. Set your pump speed first then adjust the valve. Turning the valve closed from a full open position you will start to quiet it down. Getting it at the sweet spot makes the tank very quiet. No gurgling or flushing sounds.

The Sweetspot is when the water level at the top of the tank is just at the edge of the overflow on my 625.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back