Red Sea Reef Care Program

JamieB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

I have a 300L system, been cycled for about 5 months now.
Just have 5 small fish and 2 corals.
Small acan and a goniopora.

nitrite is very high 50+ ppm
I wasn’t doing Water changes due to cancer treatment and I’ve never got on top of it since. I keep doing big water changes but I can’t quite do enough of them to get the nitrates down. I am going to Do more changes this week and try and get it down though.

I have just started to implement Red reef care program.
Foundation elements didn’t need supplementing I guess because I only have two corals. No pox It’s supposed to be 9 mL for my 300 L tank. When I first added it last week water went cloudy goniopora closed up and has not opened since.

coral nutrition supplement from red sea size 4 mL per hundred litre for a well-stocked tank. So I guess that about 1 mL for me as I only have two corals.

My question is I wanted someone to confirm the levels of nopox and coral nutrition I’m adding.
The effect I’ve seen since starting the ReefCare program last week are the goniopora closed up and Tank became cloudy for two days. The tiny bit of green dusty algae in my sand has exploded and expanded across the tank.

hope that’s clear!
Thanks so much for your help
Jamie

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, forget the supplements until you get the nitrates and any other issues under control. I don't have my NOPOX handy, but it lists the amount to dose daily based on your tank size and nitrate levels (it also has a suggested testing schedule).

I'd also be curious what your running for filtration, from the number and type of filter socks (or floss), skimmers, reactors, etc.

OP
OP
J

JamieB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes makes sense, ill stop the nopox then. Im cooking up 120L of new saltwater as we speak so ill change that today hopefully. I can only store 120L of new water at a time so i guess ill need to do several 120L changes to get nitrates reasonable.

I was carefully following the red sea program so 9ml is correct amount of nopox for a 300L system with nitrates >10
its just that it made water cloudy and goniopora closed up so was thinking it was too much.

So ill stop nopox but i think i need to keep trying to feed the goniopora no?

I have red sea rsk 300 skimmer, 2 filter socks, no reactors or anything.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a slightly more expensive solution than nopox, but running a bio pellet reactor could help a lot. Bulkreefsupply has them for $75 with the media.

I use every part of Red Sea dosing apart from nopox, so I don’t have any experience with it

OP
OP
J

JamieB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a slightly more expensive solution than nopox, but running a bio pellet reactor could help a lot. Bulkreefsupply has them for $75 with the media.

I use every part of Red Sea dosing apart from nopox, so I don’t have any experience with it
I hadn't really thought about reactors. Id like to try a bit longer with Nopox as ive already bought it and i like the simplicity of using the entire red sea program.
But thanks! Ill bear it in mind :)

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't really thought about reactors. Id like to try a bit longer with Nopox as ive already bought it and i like the simplicity of using the entire red sea program.
But thanks! Ill bear it in mind :)
Of course! It's always better to try a solution that doesn't require more investment and then opt for that if all else fails. Hopefully the Nopox helps!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back