OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Aquamaxx DFC-80 installed today. If this is a quiet DC pump then I am scared of what a noisy AC is. At 100% it sounds like an airplane ready to take off. Down to 50% an irritating, vibrating hum. Almost like something that is out of balance. I know there is a break-in period and I hope that doesn't just apply to getting a good skim. I hope this motor quietens down also. Really not happy with it if this is how it is going to stay. Also I guess there has been an update to the bubble plate which does not match the instructions, pictures or videos of it online. I'll hold out judgement for a little while. Anything I should check on this vibration sound? I can't imagine that I did anything wrong in the assembly but could I have missed something?

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having trouble with this skimmer. I thought maybe we had gotten to through the break-in. This pump will randomly just for lack of a better word start screaming. I took the skimmer out and broke it down and cleaned everything, I broke it down more than I had to assemble to make sure something wasn't caught it in somewhere or not assembled correctly. It is irritating that the bubble plate has change and you have to figure that out on your own because it doesn't match the instructions. I got it all reassembled and thought well ok its good now. Woke up in the middle of the night with this horrible screeching noise. I can't figure it out. I am running it at 85%. I have submitted an email to BRS. Seems their website doesn't work well with Macs anymore and I can't get logged in. Going out of town for the week and having to leave my wife in charge of the tank and that's not a good thing.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been cruising along pretty smooth. The skimmer I have finally gotten to work by very loosely putting the Venturi on. Coraline has started to pop on the back glass already. That seems pretty quick to me in that the tank has been running about 75 days. I have accumulated about 25 corals in it and added a very nice NY Knicks Torch today. I also added my Flame Angel that has been in QT with Dr. Reef's for about a month and a half. I could not be more pleased with their service. Packing was excellent, fish was very active in the bag and ready to get in. It acclimated to the tank and started eating in just a couple of hours. I wish I could figure out how to upload videos from my iPhone or my MacBook but they just don't seem to work for some reason. I have increased my lighting from 50% to about 56% gradually because I have seen some of my Zoas start looking like a tree, haha! I am excited because the Utter Chaos Zoa that started as 1 polyp is 4 already and it has only been about 3 weeks at most since it went in.
I need to try to slow down on the coral a bit and I don't plan on any more fish at this point. I have space for a few more corals but those will come in time and I want to try a couple SPS up top.

IMG_3933.jpeg

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a heart breaker... After getting the perfect angel from Dr Reef it apparently injured its mouth somehow and stopped eating and passed away a couple of days later. Made me sick loosing the little guy. I can't say enough about Dr Reef as they stepped up and said I was covered and they would replace the fish. What great service and a first class operation!

I finally got my filters in too and now I can get a proper picture of everything. Still kind of blue...I'll keep working it.

IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3954.jpeg

IMG_3955.jpeg

IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

IMG_3950.jpeg

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fast growers. I am just in love with this simple coral. It doesn’t do anything but sit there but I love this pic and you can see the progression from the last time I posted it.
F23EECE5-2809-44B6-BD30-B00FA3D1F243.jpeg

I love this one too and it’s growing like crazy.
88E38BE8-0928-4813-A0F4-035ACEAA9E30.jpeg
91A1D0E8-A434-4B78-9264-531CB3E52EB3.jpeg
Another fast grower
29E7D824-E9EA-48ED-9560-085DA697CFB1.jpeg

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Aquamaxx DFC-80 installed today. If this is a quiet DC pump then I am scared of what a noisy AC is. At 100% it sounds like an airplane ready to take off. Down to 50% an irritating, vibrating hum. Almost like something that is out of balance. I know there is a break-in period and I hope that doesn't just apply to getting a good skim. I hope this motor quietens down also. Really not happy with it if this is how it is going to stay. Also I guess there has been an update to the bubble plate which does not match the instructions, pictures or videos of it online. I'll hold out judgement for a little while. Anything I should check on this vibration sound? I can't imagine that I did anything wrong in the assembly but could I have missed something?
I have the Aquamaxx FC-80. When I first got it it was much quieter, it has gotten a bit loud recently, to the point where I unplugged it once 2 in the morning fed up of the sound. I thought it was my pump but they use sicce pumps and I have four of them for other things and they’re great. Last week I took my Aquamaxx apart, cleaned it and tightened the plastic screws that hold the pump in place, because of the plate you can’t use the rubber soles of the pump to help with vibrations, I believe that must add to some of the noisy volume. After putting it back together it was much quieter for the first couple days and now it’s almost back to the original loud noise. I was thinking of contacting the company about the pump see if they have any ideas.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquamaxx FC-80. When I first got it it was much quieter, it has gotten a bit loud recently, to the point where I unplugged it once 2 in the morning fed up of the sound. I thought it was my pump but they use sicce pumps and I have four of them for other things and they’re great. Last week I took my Aquamaxx apart, cleaned it and tightened the plastic screws that hold the pump in place, because of the plate you can’t use the rubber soles of the pump to help with vibrations, I believe that must add to some of the noisy volume. After putting it back together it was much quieter for the first couple days and now it’s almost back to the original loud noise. I was thinking of contacting the company about the pump see if they have any ideas.
When I loosely put the Venturi in place it suddenly went silent. It hasn't made a sound since. I still can't get it exactly dialed in though.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I loosely put the Venturi in place it suddenly went silent. It hasn't made a sound since. I still can't get it exactly dialed in though.
What’s the water depth it’s sitting at? I had mine opened completely and the airflow at max after it overflowed for a couple days I was able to tune it in so the bubbles reached just the neck, even now when I clean I have to retune but typically only takes a day. I’m going to try to loosen my Venturi right now and see if that helps.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the water depth it’s sitting at? I had mine opened completely and the airflow at max after it overflowed for a couple days I was able to tune it in so the bubbles reached just the neck, even now when I clean I have to retune but typically only takes a day. I’m going to try to loosen my Venturi right now and see if that helps.
The water level is probably close to 8 inches. It's been a while since I measured. I have the gate almost all the way closed to have enough head pressure for the water to go up the neck. I have the DC pump run usually around 70% but as low as 50 and as high as 95%. Trying to figure where the sweet spot is. The Venturi has been all the way open but right noe I have it turned back just a little.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 4 of my highly sought after zoas in today plus a bonus one from Black Label Corals. Very happy with the quality of the zoas and appreciate the bonus one. A couple of them I ordered one polyp and got 2. Much appreciated.

Little Shop of Horrors
GMK
Rainbow Incinerator
White Zombie
Stratocaster

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4288.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg

IMG_4277.jpeg

One day my picture taking skills will get better...

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpeg
    IMG_4272.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hit the 5 month mark. Very happy with the progress so far. I think I have all I want in there but may add one to two corals here or there. I think I have a little over 30 different corals in here and there are 6 fish. Everything seems stable and rocking right along.
IMG_4427.jpeg

IMG_4426.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

IMG_4424.jpeg

IMG_4422.jpeg
IMG_4419.jpeg
IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4414.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

IMG_4411.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

IMG_4407.jpeg

IMG_4405.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hit the 5 month mark. Very happy with the progress so far. I think I have all I want in there but may add one to two corals here or there. I think I have a little over 30 different corals in here and there are 6 fish. Everything seems stable and rocking right along.
IMG_4427.jpeg

IMG_4426.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

IMG_4424.jpeg

IMG_4422.jpeg
IMG_4419.jpeg
IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4414.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

IMG_4411.jpeg

IMG_4408.jpeg

IMG_4407.jpeg

IMG_4405.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg
The progress has been great!

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow tang in a 42g? Oof.

However, the corals are looking happy. Sorry about the Flame Angels, that’s tough. Torches look great.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up on a year now. I need to add some updated pictures. All is going smoothy other than the Red Sea valve is a pain. Constantly adjusting it...water too high, water too low...
I did loose my 6 line wrasse I think of old age. Not sure how old he was when I got him. We didn't mourn him much because he was a pain to my Diamond Goby.
Phophates have been traveling up a little but I am not concerned. I think it's because I finally got a good Flame Angel to replace the wrasse when he died. Phospahtes are running about .2 but no algae at all.
Really wanting to add the Reefmat 250, should have jumped on that Black Friday.
Glad to have the lid because the Midas Blenny jumps into it all the time. In fact as I was feeding the other morning and the feeding lid was off, the Midas jumped out the feeding hole, rolled around like a basketball rolling around the rim and finally went back in. That was a scary moment...

This is the most recent pic but isn't really up to date.

My two frogspawns have grown massive but seem to only have one head... Not quite sure how to frag them.
IMG_4745.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up on a year now. I need to add some updated pictures. All is going smoothy other than the Red Sea valve is a pain. Constantly adjusting it...water too high, water too low...
I did loose my 6 line wrasse I think of old age. Not sure how old he was when I got him. We didn't mourn him much because he was a pain to my Diamond Goby.
Phophates have been traveling up a little but I am not concerned. I think it's because I finally got a good Flame Angel to replace the wrasse when he died. Phospahtes are running about .2 but no algae at all.
Really wanting to add the Reefmat 250, should have jumped on that Black Friday.
Glad to have the lid because the Midas Blenny jumps into it all the time. In fact as I was feeding the other morning and the feeding lid was off, the Midas jumped out the feeding hole, rolled around like a basketball rolling around the rim and finally went back in. That was a scary moment...

This is the most recent pic but isn't really up to date.

My two frogspawns have grown massive but seem to only have one head... Not quite sure how to frag them.
IMG_4745.jpeg
Tank is doing great!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back