OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they are back...

Found small sliver of hope in a recent article by @Jake Adams (link further below). In the article he discusses a possible solution when increasing temperature to 82.

After watching his video, I decided to try the same. I raised my tank temperature from 78 to 82 degrees low and behold, the tank cleared up in a week. Not a trace of dinoflagellates anywhere. After spending hundreds of dollars on suggested solutions, all it took was punching in a higher temperature in my aquarium controller. The remaining question is whether this solution will work for others. And if so, why does it work? Also, what happens if I set my tank back to the original 78 degrees?

I increased the Neohtherms from 78 to 82 yesterday. This morning tank was at 81.6. Will run it here for at least 1 week to see if this helps my cause.

More to come. Fingers crossed.

Is This the Dinoflagellate Treatment We’ve all been Hoping for?

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you run into people like this..

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a "water change"today... kinda. I took a fine filter sock and sucked all the dino off the sand bed letting the filtered water drain right back into the sump to ensure im not removing the nutrients just the yuck...

Tank is sitting at 82.1 currently.

Last edited:

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, I just setup a 250 myself - interested to see how the ReefLED 90's work out!
Get two of the reefwaves. Trust me. They are great

20200529_162054.jpg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Xam! Same - new neohtherms arrive tomorrow. And yes, a controller is in my future.

I just turned on my new red sea reefer RSK 300 skimmer. This is my first skimmer... understand there is a break in period. It is overflowing w/ bubbles which I believe is normal. I have the dial turned all the way down/turned to the minus direction. I have the drainage tube emptying in the bubble trap foam area right now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6828.jpeg

It will overflow for awhile. It aslo looks like it's way too deep in the water.

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino update.... they gone! I had them for less than a week. Couldn't be happier.

Increased Temp from 78 to 82 on Friday June 5th. Maintained 82 from Friday June 5th to Wednesday June 10th. Lowered temp to 80 on June 10th and will maintain 80 moving forward instead of 78. Tank and inhabitants look great! Minimal stress as a result of the increased temp.

Dosed
Friday 5ml Neophos
Sunday 5ml Neophos
Tuesday 5ml Neophos

I took a fine filter sock and sucked all the dino off the sand bed letting the filtered water drain right back into the sump to ensure im not removing the nutrients just the yuck... This was done twice. Saturday and Tuesday.

Other than that I blew off the dinos and changed my filter floss daily. Thats it.

Round 1 was 3 month battle
Round 2 was 6 days

OP
OP
SCHAULJ

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday! Completed my first water change since battling dinos a second time. As noted above Dinos round 2 was very different than Dinos round 1. I am better understanding my tank chemistry and tank needs with these expereinces.

In addition to WC, cleaned skimmer, changed floss and added new carbon. Fish are all doing great, corals too! Interested in adding a few more corals down the road as well as 3 more anthias for a total of 5.

Enjoy the weekend!

wsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How's the Reefwave 45 working out? I'm trying to decide between the 25 and 45 for my Reefer 350, but not sure if one is under powered or the other is over powered. Thanks!

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the Reefwave 45 working out? I'm trying to decide between the 25 and 45 for my Reefer 350, but not sure if one is under powered or the other is over powered. Thanks!

I really like my reefwave.. I'm glad I got the 45 for my Reefer 350 and not the 25. I run it at ~70% and it creates a great 'gyre' flow around the tank. My tank is bare bottom and I've noticed fewer spots I need to clean up.

It's super easy to clean. You can pull off the side covers and blades without having to remove the main base. Its color-coded so it's easy to put back together.

I plan on picking up a 2nd reef wave 45 for the other side.

Before I bought the Reefwave I picked up an IceCap 4k Gyre... It was horrible. It wouldn't stay connected to my wifi and the app was awful. The Reefwave is impossible to hear, while the IceCap (when it worked) had a very audible hum.

I give the 45 two thumbs up :)

wsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I really like my reefwave.. I'm glad I got the 45 for my Reefer 350 and not the 25. I run it at ~70% and it creates a great 'gyre' flow around the tank. My tank is bare bottom and I've noticed fewer spots I need to clean up.

Thanks for the detailed info. I have sand so I'm a bit concerned the 45 is going to blow it around. Did you have any problems with sand and any of the gyres? Looks like you started off with some sand. Thanks again.

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed info. I have sand so I'm a bit concerned the 45 is going to blow it around. Did you have any problems with sand and any of the gyres? Looks like you started off with some sand. Thanks again.

The ~$50 price difference should make the 45 an easy choice. You can always dial back the power of the 45.. you can't squeeze more power out of the 25 :)

Back