Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipped in water is airfreight and you pick it up at the airport. . He recommends shipped in water and goes to the airport every week. About a 5 hr drive round trip I think. Feb in the Keys isn't that cold but can be windy so weather can be a factor. Call him and talk to him. Phillip. Seems like Monday is his airport day, easy to catch then.
So how do you get the boxes from the plane area to your truck? Is it a hassle to get through security? So you just show your papers to the appropriate airline ticket clerk? Phillip is on the road on Mondays then, call his cell? So many questions.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you get the boxes from the plane area to your truck? Is it a hassle to get through security? So you just show your papers to the appropriate airline ticket clerk? Phillip is on the road on Mondays then, call his cell? So many questions.
Airline has an airfreight terminal with a loading dock. Gotta go in the office and pay for the freight , then then bring it to the dock. Email him on contact part of his website and ask him to call you about shipped in water. He will.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Anthias and Yellow Eye Kole down and gone a couple of days ago. I cant find them so I added a dozen Emerald and Hermit crabs to help out. Maybe they can find them....

Ich is still on a couple of fish but looking better. Purple tang had it bad but looking better. When I got the purple originally it got ich for at least 6 weeks then cleared. Had him 9 months now. Hopefully he shakes it again. . Vlamingi had 2 very cloudy eyes and Gem tang as well. Gem cleared mostly and Vlamingi only has 1 cloudy eye now..

Raised temp to 80. Still dosing Polyp Labs Medic. Adding Garlic to the Nori and Brightwell vitamins to the frozen food, always do that but.. Don't have the correct Dr. Gs frozen but feeding that as well. They all are eating good.

Riding the storm out....

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Anthias and Yellow Eye Kole down and gone a couple of days ago. I cant find them so I added a dozen Emerald and Hermit crabs to help out. Maybe they can find them....

Ich is still on a couple of fish but looking better. Purple tang had it bad but looking better. When I got the purple originally it got ich for at least 6 weeks then cleared. Had him 9 months now. Hopefully he shakes it again. . Vlamingi had 2 very cloudy eyes and Gem tang as well. Gem cleared mostly and Vlamingi only has 1 cloudy eye now..

Raised temp to 80. Still dosing Polyp Labs Medic. Adding Garlic to the Nori and Brightwell vitamins to the frozen food, always do that but.. Don't have the correct Dr. Gs frozen but feeding that as well. They all are eating good.

Riding the storm out....
Are you running a UV? I find they help a lot for managing ich populations.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh no man that sucks :(
my purple tang just started showing spots 2 days ago. I had an order of wrasses come in almost DOA I tryed to get them in the tank but they passed in a day I think they brought it in.

I am a "follower" of the paul B style of reefing where biodiversity in food and in general is the way to go.
but I live in an area where its hard to get live clams and what not.

once the weather warsm up a bit I am going to start culturing live white worms as a big part of there daily diet.

worth seeing if you can get some non frozen clams to feed being in TX I am sure you have a better chance than i do.

oh and I still want to do a FOLWR so bad just saw the 3XL on sale for 10% off too. the other half would kill be but so tempting...lol

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just now feeling like putting his picture up. He was such a cool fish. Had 22 fish and have lost 6 including the angel so far. 3 Anthias, Kole tang and now my Royal Grama.

He was on hold in an isolation tank at the LFS for a month and never showed a sigh of anything. He was it my tank for over 2 weeks of getting ich. He was stressed by the larger Blue Face. I guess this is ick. If it was Velvet they all would be gone by now.

Most all look good. A few tangs got cloudy eyes but that seems to be clearing..... Purple tang still has a few spots.

Polyp Lab Medic, Vitamins Good Food and Garlic. Hanging on...

IMG_3986-2.jpg

IMG_3987-3.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just now feeling like putting his picture up. He was such a cool fish. Had 22 fish and have lost 6 including the angel so far. 3 Anthias, Kole tang and now my Royal Grama.

He was on hold in an isolation tank at the LFS for a month and never showed a sigh of anything. He was it my tank for over 2 weeks of getting ich. He was stressed by the larger Blue Face. I guess this is ick. If it was Velvet they all would be gone by now.

Most all look good. A few tangs got cloudy eyes but that seems to be clearing..... Purple tang still has a few spots.

Polyp Lab Medic, Vitamins Good Food and Garlic. Hanging on...

IMG_3986-2.jpg

IMG_3987-3.jpg
Sorry for the loss. I will suggest that the anthias don't count. They expire when Jupiter rises. Or the clocks spring forward. Or when the kids go on spring break. Or when you get a flat tire. Or when you get a tax refund. Or when... you get the idea.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I will suggest that the anthias don't count. They expire when Jupiter rises. Or the clocks spring forward. Or when the kids go on spring break. Or when you get a flat tire. Or when you get a tax refund. Or when... you get the idea.
I still have 1 :D

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lab Medic must work. No signs of ich. Sold out every were but LFS got another bottle. I think I will continue dosing it for another week.

Wow! I cleaned ReefWaves and WAVs in citric acid. This stuff works wonders. Lots of Flo now.

20220402_193222.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich seems to be gone. Lost 6 fish sadly. They are looking good now...

FTS Vid.

sorry to hear you lost 6 fish that is never fun. :(
man I really really REALLY want to do a 3XL 900 FOWLR ... I think it would look nice with my 650P ha

anyway did/do you have an aggression with your dwarf angels? I see 3?
I want flame, coral beauty and maybe 2 more...

how does maintenance compare to your smaller reef tank? so many questions...haha

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man I really really REALLY want to do a 3XL 900 FOWLR ... I think it would look nice with my 650P ha

how does maintenance compare to your smaller reef tank? so many questions...haha
In my 525 I tried to keep Lemon Peel, Coral Beauty and Flame. It wasn't pretty tbh. I know others have done it, but I only have the Coral Beauty left.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my 525 I tried to keep Lemon Peel, Coral Beauty and Flame. It wasn't pretty tbh. I know others have done it, but I only have the Coral Beauty left.
Thanks. I guess ich is still there its just not bothering the strong ones. 15 fish left. Still doing Polyp Lab Medic and Garlic on their nori.

I think it is all in the way you introduce them. I had 6 Centropyges in a 55 48in tank back in the 90s. I had read an article in Aquarium Magazine (I use to own every copy since inception) about how to keep multiples and what order to introduce them in. I wish I still had my Aquarium Magazine collection.

In this tank the smallest, the Cherub was added fist. Next the flame. I had the Flameback in my reef tank but he became a coral nipper so he went to the big boy tank last. Tank is 79 inches so they do have there own territory. Actually the Flameback makes the flame stay at the left side of the tank. There defiantly is a hierarchy.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lad Medic works. Ich is gone. Says its a conditioner. All 15 fish are Ich free for several weeks now.

Going to finish treating with the second bottle and try some more fish in a week or 3 or 4.

20220320_161717.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lad Medic works. Ich is gone. Says its a conditioner. All 15 fish are Ich free for several weeks now.

Going to finish treating with the second bottle and try some more fish in a week or 3 or 4.

20220320_161717.jpg
Glad to hear. My LFS has used it a several times with moderate success when deployed early. I have too much coral & rock & fish for a true fallow. Given that, I have used it too. It seems to help.

You might be well served to think of this as a management tool versus an eradication tool. That is how I look at it. Ich has returned a time or two. It takes a few fish. I slap on a big UV and dose Medic. Then everything clears. I have fish that have had ich 2-3 times in the last 14 years and are still kicking. Others just up and die at the first sign.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back