Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 FOWLR Dream Build - Lots of pics.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Magoo the Eperador Angel pokes his head out now and then. He does like his cave.
Hopefully starts eating soon.

IMG_3874.jpg
IMG_3875.jpg
IMG_3876.jpg
IMG_3850.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to move my Red Monte cap from the reefer 250 to the 900. I was getting to large. Managed to get it out in one piece. The 2 angles are getting along better but the Blue face still chases the Emperor. The Emperor is eating well. Both angels like hiding in caves and reside right next to each other. Maybe they are becoming buddy's.

IMG_3927.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb how is that live oceanrock looking like now that you’ve had it in your tank for awhile? Any degradation?

No degradation. Looks good. Covered in 3-4 types of coralline. Some sponge. Urchins much on the coralline. Just moved a couple of large pencil urchins to the sump for a while. They only come out at night so I have to nab them then.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got caught up on the build man it's been a few months a lot have happened!

just the other day I was dreaming about a 240+ FOWLR I was looking at the xl 900
if you where to do it again would your go bigger?

I like PNP system now that I have had one. kinda hard to DIY a stand after having a nice looking RS stand..

how is the RS skimmer holding to to the bio load?

oh and I think we need a FTS vid so I can droll!

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got caught up on the build man it's been a few months a lot have happened!

just the other day I was dreaming about a 240+ FOWLR I was looking at the xl 900
if you where to do it again would your go bigger?

I like PNP system now that I have had one. kinda hard to DIY a stand after having a nice looking RS stand..

how is the RS skimmer holding to to the bio load?

oh and I think we need a FTS vid so I can droll!
I wish I had done a 10 footer lol. Don't have room for it though. I ma very happy with the 900 and the RS simmer works great. I have disassembled it twice so far in a year for a full detail cleaning. The intergraded neck cleaner is nice but I still pull it off once or twice a month to clean. I need to do another vid soon.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefDose has been installed about 4 months now.

Nitrate 5. dosing 18 ml on RS NO3 PO4-X. That stuff works. Red Sea recipe suggested 25 ml per day. I guess my refugium is helping is knocking out the rest.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad day. After about a month, P. imperator, Mr. Magoo has died.

A couple of weeks ago he developed a bad case of ich I guess. He was covered. Tried catching him for dip but couldn't.
He was in QT for a month at LFS and look good for about 2 weeks here. I think my tank must still have ich from when my Purple Tang had it about 9 months ago. The purple Tang shook it off after about 6 weeks and all fish have been fine ever since. Fingers crossed no one else gets it again.

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad day. After about a month, P. imperator, Mr. Magoo has died.

A couple of weeks ago he developed a bad case of ich I guess. He was covered. Tried catching him for dip but couldn't.
He was in QT for a month at LFS and look good for about 2 weeks here. I think my tank must still have ich from when my Purple Tang had it about 9 months ago. The purple Tang shook it off after about 6 weeks and all fish have been fine ever since. Fingers crossed no one else gets it again.
@Jeffcb have you ever considered the in-tank treatment that's safe for invertebrates that's by Polyp Lab I believe? I'll see if I can find it and post here. I don't hear too much about it.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 I got Polyp Lab and some Dr. G's food. Going to give it a try.

20220320_161717.jpg
20220320_152309.jpg
@Jeffcb good to see that!! Anxious to see how that works for you!! BTW, what time of year did you get your KP Aquatics ocean rock? Do you know what times during the year he ships? I'm wanting to get some late summer maybe.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb good to see that!! Anxious to see how that works for you!! BTW, what time of year did you get your KP Aquatics ocean rock? Do you know what times during the year he ships? I'm wanting to get some late summer maybe.
I got my first shipment at the beginning of Feb. The second in March. Phillip is a nice guy and will work with you. I would suggest paying extra freight and get it shipped in water.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first shipment at the beginning of Feb. The second in March. Phillip is a nice guy and will work with you. I would suggest paying extra freight and get it shipped in water.

@Jeffcb wow is this guy harvesting the rock from the ocean in the winter? Getting it shipped in water, can it be shipped overnight to your door or do you have to pick it up at the airport for shipped in water? I’m not sure if want to hassle with an airport.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb wow is this guy harvesting the rock from the ocean in the winter? Getting it shipped in water, can it be shipped overnight to your door or do you have to pick it up at the airport for shipped in water? I’m not sure if want to hassle with an airport.
Shipped in water is airfreight and you pick it up at the airport. . He recommends shipped in water and goes to the airport every week. About a 5 hr drive round trip I think. Feb in the Keys isn't that cold but can be windy so weather can be a factor. Call him and talk to him. Phillip. Seems like Monday is his airport day, easy to catch then.

vsnetzinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. San Antonio. Nix I was. Nix Hospital was the only hospital in USA that had a bar in the basement. The basement is on the River Walk. ***** Last Resort is still there. They are "rude" on purpose. FUn.
The Nix is a hot mess these days. But then I work Geri Psyc so what do I know

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back