Red Sea Reefer 625 LEAKING

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup my Red Sea 625 yesterday. Everything went well, and I even poured some water in the overflow before filling the tank to test for leaks, and there were none (or so I thought). Filled the tank, and noticed a slow leak on the main drain line. It's not the bulkhead, where the glass is, but where the drain pipe from the overflow and the sump pipe meet.

Since the threaded rings aren't any sort of seal on these tanks with the red sea plumbing, I'm assuming it HAS to have something to do with the o-ring. I removed and reinstalled that pipe three times. Inspected the o-ring, looked brand new (as it should) and seated well. Each time it leaked, albeit slowly.

The only other thing I can think of is my return pump is too strong causing too much pressure in the drain pipe. It's an aqua-mag 1800GPH AC pump. Red Sea recommends 1600GPH, so I thought I was fine, but this seems wayyy too much for my system. Regardless, even if it was too much, should that really cause a leak in the drain pipe? Let me know what you guys think - need to get this fixed as it's holding up my move to transfer my fish over.

IMG_1961.jpg

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s the 1800 gph pump causing the leak. Did you lubricate the o-ring before threading the bottom portion of the drain pipe?

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s the 1800 gph pump causing the leak. Did you lubricate the o-ring before threading the bottom portion of the drain pipe?
I struggled to think it was too, as even if it might be a little strong, it absolutely shouldn't cause a leak. No I did not, just followed Red Sea's instructions. You think that could be the cause? Does everyone else lubricate the o-rings?

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just to clarify, there's no threading with this RedSea plumbing. The bottom drain pipe simply "pushes" into the overflow drain pipe to create the seal.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there was a seal on the pipe? Just a thought or any sand or debris. I would take it off, make sure the seal is not cracked and there’s no sand everywhere.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there was a seal on the pipe? Just a thought or any sand or debris. I would take it off, make sure the seal is not cracked and there’s no sand everywhere.
By seal, do you mean the o-ring? Yeah, I removed and reinstalled it three times. Each time inspected the o-ring. Looked perfect, as it should, since it's literally a brand new tank.

There's no debris at all, or sand, because this is a new tank. It was just installed yesterday. The only thing the tank has in it is water.

Rosh225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just to clarify, there's no threading with this RedSea plumbing. The bottom drain pipe simply "pushes" into the overflow drain pipe to create the seal.
I have the same tank and if the pipe in the union is not seated all the way up it will leak. Also make sure that there is no pressure push up or to the side or it doesn't sit right. I recommend using tubing to connect the pump to the return line to fix the problem. I hope this helps.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah O ring. Spent an entire day doing water changes on 3 tanks tired lol.

another though is, if you can’t really figure it out. Maybe just order a new pipe?

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah O ring. Spent an entire day doing water changes on 3 tanks tired lol.

another though is, if you can’t really figure it out. Maybe just order a new pipe?
No worries lol.

I mean, I obviously could, I'm just not really willing to purchase a brand new pipe and wait for it to ship out, furthering delaying my move, when this is a brand new tank and plumbing that, ideally, should not need replacing already. I'm not even sure if a new one would fix this, as the o-ring looks brand new to me, so I'm not sure what would change. I just feel like maybe I'm missing something lol

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and if the pipe in the union is not seated all the way up it will leak. Also make sure that there is no pressure push up or to the side or it doesn't sit right. I recommend using tubing to connect the pump to the return line to fix the problem. I hope this helps.
Yeah, I was getting that feeling like if I didn't PERFECTLY line up the two pipes, it would leak a bit. Thing is, I tried it three times, trying my best to make it perfectly aligned and center, and it still leaked. I also pushed up as far as I could go, so I'm not sure there's any luck there.

As far as the return goes, that's not a problem here. I have some flexible tubing from the pipe to the return line, and there's no leaks anywhere there.

That's the weird thing, the other two pipes on the left, with the same sealing mechanism, are perfectly dry with no leaks. I'm only having a problem with the main drain one.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,there are a few threads here addressing your prob ..couldn't tell you where ,but use search :)
5k for a new tank and a 2$ piece giving probs;Facepalm good luck...

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the picture you circled in the first post is leaking, right? Is that the bottom portion of the drain pipe with the valve?

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the picture you circled in the first post is leaking, right? Is that the bottom portion of the drain pipe with the valve?
Correct, it's the most right pipe leaking, which is the main drain. It's leaking right below the "union", thought it has nothing to do with that since that's not sealing. That is the pipe with the Red Sea adjustment valve, yes.

Could it be some silicone grease on the rings as the fix? Would something like this be safe and do the job? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Grease/1075455

Last edited:

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go and grease up the rings, give Red Sea a shout. My cousin purchased a new tank from them about a year back and had a leak in his plumbing, as well. They overnighted him new parts for it and it fixed the leak.
I would just be cautious of what you try to do to fix the problem before contacting the manufacturer... as it may void the warranty.
Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Got some of the o-ring grease from lowe's I linked above. Put some all around the o-ring - no more leak. It's been a few hours, and it used to leak after ~30 seconds. We'll see, and I'll keep this updated for anyone else dealing with this.

I actually felt on the inside of the overflow drain pipe and felt "scratches". It wasn't completely smooth like the other pipes that weren't having leaks. That could've been why the o-ring wasn't able to make a complete seal on its own.

I think I'll still contact Red Sea, as I don't really think I should have to do that. Maybe they can send me out another pipe on their dime, we'll see. In any case, even if they don't, this should last a good while, and at the very least, gives me a good reason to clean every few months/years and replace o-rings.

Back