Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Valve Replacement Tutorial

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC33B4B4-8F51-4BCE-8D2F-36FED0532B8D.jpeg
For those of you who hate the standard valve that comes with your reefer, I found a good way to replace it with a spears gate valve. Basically all you need to do is cut the old valve off at the spot in the image and sand the remaining ring with 60 grit sandpaper until it fits in a 1” slip union. This way you can still use the pipe clamp attached to your stand. Just don’t push the pipe in the union much further than the sanded ring when you cement it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the DIY tip:)

kashif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who hate the standard valve that comes with your reefer, I found a good way to replace it with a spears gate valve. Basically all you need to do is cut the old valve off at the spot in the image and sand the remaining ring with 60 grit sandpaper until it fits in a 1” slip union. This way you can still use the pipe clamp attached to your stand. Just don’t push the pipe in the union much further than the sanded ring when you cement it.
I went with your method. Two thumbs up!
Mine came out perfect!
I think this is the best and most convenient way of swapping the factory gate valve.
Really appreciate it, EJ Reef!

6E68A34F-77A4-42EC-9536-8A90A6A2EDDD.jpeg

809D2314-A3D7-4316-B2B1-D052ABFD1018.jpeg

BD62AD14-236A-4CE7-8FBB-28C3AA60F636.jpeg

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was literally just thinking about how to do this on my 625, so thank you very much! Do you happen to know if it will still be a 1" union for that one? I'm at work right now, so I can't measure it. Also, what is the clear PVC cement I see everyone using? Every one that I've ever seen is either blue, or purple.

kashif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I please also see the pictures of your return pipe plumbing. I did you convert to hard plumbing. I was also thinking of hard plumbing it instead of flexible acrylic pipe. I see, you added a union in the plumbing as well.

OP
OP
E

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was literally just thinking about how to do this on my 625, so thank you very much! Do you happen to know if it will still be a 1" union for that one? I'm at work right now, so I can't measure it. Also, what is the clear PVC cement I see everyone using? Every one that I've ever seen is either blue, or purple.
Oatey brand is the clear cement I used. I haven't seen the 625 plumbing so I can't comment on that.

kashif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this cement from Lowes. Its a single application instead of using 2 different applications. Its convenient to use.
Yes, its a 1 inch union. Basically you will sand the black portion with flexible sand paper almost to negligible and then it will fit snuggly.

kashif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this cement from Lowes. Its a single application instead of using 2 different applications. Its convenient to use.
Yes, its a 1 inch union. Basically you will sand the black portion with flexible sand paper almost to negligible and then it will fit snuggly.

OP
OP
E

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I please also see the pictures of your return pipe plumbing. I did you convert to hard plumbing. I was also thinking of hard plumbing it instead of flexible acrylic pipe. I see, you added a union in the plumbing as well.
Yes, I used a short piece of vinyl tubing from the Red Sea return barb and then converted that to 1" PVC. I'll take a pic when I get home

Last edited:

philippitt1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of the 1inch union vs gluing it the sanded portion directly to the 1" spears gate valve?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back