Red Sea Reefer overflow issue

Aquageek450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn’t change enough to create any noise but it does go up and down some. My worry is that when this happens it will trigger the ATO.

Maybe I need a DC pump they will better control the return flow

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a 1 inch piece of silicone tubing over the emergency drain to raise it up a bit.
I also removed the larger pipe(skimmer? part with clear top) from the drain pipe (like a Waterbox) which lowers the drain pipe height.
The larger pipe was causing my drain to suck air at flow around 450gph.
Its pretty quiet now and holds adjustment well.

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please explain how I can change the down tube valve on my Red Sea Max E260 upgrade sump?

Pinkie Cubitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a Spears valve because I could not get the stock valve to hold a consistent water level in the overflow. And even with the Spears valve the level seems to fluctuate? You guys who have done this have no issues with the water level in the overflow going up and down?

Maybe my return pump is fluctuating in the amount of water it is pumping causing this? I am using a sicce pump dialed back some. Are you guys using adjustable DC pumps by chance?
04E07B80-9733-4737-9C05-771B3E7F42F2.jpeg
Hi. Did you ever get this sorted? I’ve just installed a gate valve in my reefer nano but still having to adjust as level in sump never stable. I’m using a TMC Reef pump (DC). Scratching my head trying to work out what’s wrong. Red Sea have suggested trying a different pump.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Did you ever get this sorted? I’ve just installed a gate valve in my reefer nano but still having to adjust as level in sump never stable. I’m using a TMC Reef pump (DC). Scratching my head trying to work out what’s wrong. Red Sea have suggested trying a different pump.
Once I got rid of the stock valve I only have to make minor adjustmetns every few weeks. I'm guessing that the return lines / valve get a little blocked and change the flow volume. Quite often I just turn the valve open and closed a few times and set it back to where it was and it's fine.

One thing I noticed when I first changed out the valve was to make very small changes and wait 15-30 minutes or so to let it stabilize to the new flow level. Once it's dialed in it should be pretty stable.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reckon it’s the valve. It’s...ok I guess but nowhere near as easy to use as a regular gate valve. I may swap mine out at some point as it’s really tricky to get that sweet spot for more than a day before having to readjust.

Pinkie Cubitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I got rid of the stock valve I only have to make minor adjustmetns every few weeks. I'm guessing that the return lines / valve get a little blocked and change the flow volume. Quite often I just turn the valve open and closed a few times and set it back to where it was and it's fine.

One thing I noticed when I first changed out the valve was to make very small changes and wait 15-30 minutes or so to let it stabilize to the new flow level. Once it's dialed in it should be pretty stable.
[/QUOT

Just when I think I’ve got it, a few hours later the level in sump has dropped and the water in weir has risen and is noisily going down the emergency drain. Thought the sears gate valve I put in was going to solve my continuing battle, so devastated it doesn’t seem to have done the trick.....and at a total cost of £80! I’ll try making tiny adjustments, which I’m used to doing having wrestled with the stock valve for so long. Other than the constant adjustments my concern is that every time the level drops, my ago kicks in adding too much water to system, although salinity seems pretty stable. My other concern is perhaps a tiny leak under the sump that I can’t see.....or am I just getting paranoid! I may try a new pump next. Looking at Eheim Compact as don’t want to keep throwing money at the problem. I know it’s not DC but it’s affirdable. Any other advice guys? Thanks.

Pinkie Cubitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just when I think I’ve got it, a few hours later the level in sump has dropped and the water in weir has risen and is noisily going down the emergency drain. Thought the sears gate valve I put in was going to solve my continuing battle, so devastated it doesn’t seem to have done the trick.....and at a total cost of £80! I’ll try making tiny adjustments, which I’m used to doing having wrestled with the stock valve for so long. Other than the constant adjustments my concern is that every time the level drops, my ago kicks in adding too much water to system, although salinity seems pretty stable. My other concern is perhaps a tiny leak under the sump that I can’t see.....or am I just getting paranoid! I may try a new pump next. Looking at Eheim Compact as don’t want to keep throwing money at the problem. I know it’s not DC but it’s affirdable. Any other advice guys? Thanks.

ryn_keeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...I just thought I was terrible at setting up my tank! I just set up a Reefer 170 after my EVO 13.5 crashed as the result of almost a week without power, and as I turned the pump on for the first time I was thinking "just about done!" Man, was I wrong...that is a seriously sensitive valve.

I'm still hopeful that I can dial it in, but it's really great for me to know it's not just me!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back