OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could measure the inside opening of the tank lengthwise? I understand the tank is 82.7" in length, but I believe that is the outer dimensions. I would like to know the inside dimensions, accounting for the side panes and eurobracing.
Sure I will be back in town Wed, so u want from the inside edge of the euro bracing long ways?

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2500.JPG

I will be installing the Red Sea Reef Mat 1200 today in the sump. I have been watching my LFS's display tank he put one in 3 weeks ago and so far has only used 3' of the roller mat! That translates into 100 weeks with one mat which sounds crazy to me so I will check back in here with what I get and some pics of the install. Does anyone have any install tips before I get this going?

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea ReefMat 1200 Install on the Redsea Reefer S1000

I was finally able to make some time to install the Red Sea Reef Mat 1200. Here are my take aways:

1. Removing the glass with a full sump is tricky but with patience it took about 30 minutes. I used a utility knife from Home Depot. Some of the glass has almost no space to get under it so cut out the pieces you can first then move the ones you cant a bit by bending them back and forth to create a space to get the blade inbetween the glass to cut the silicone.

2. For the Reefer S-1000 you will need to remove the lower half of the return pipe by unscrewing it from the bottom of gate valve pipe. You will then have to cut that piece a little more than in half and you will need some pvc glue which is NOT supplied to glue on the adapter. Everything else you need is in the kit. Make sure to not cut your hose to short or you wont have enough play to bend it which will force you to have to move the unit over a bit taking up valuable sump space.

3. My unit connected immediately but my phone kept wanting to go back to my home network so before connecting to the unit I would recommend going to the wifi settings on your phone and forgetting your home wifi before connecting to the unit. Once connected set up ran an update and I was up and running 5 mins later.

4. Click auto advance on the app and as soon as the water level rises the mat will advance. So far I have used about 2 feet a day but I think that will go down a bit.

5. Tank definitely looks a little clearer I think pulling out fleece and socks always disturbed the detritus / sediment in the sump which got into the dt. This no longer is an issue.

so far it works as described with no issues. Even if I stay at 2 feet thats 57 days of not having to clean socks or fleece . The media basket holds a healthy amount of media as well. Gonna give it 5 stars for now….
0FE1F0DE-7827-49B8-9602-62EFC5EFF768.jpeg
ED02382D-B64D-4F84-8DBB-7BFD8532B553.jpeg
562A5F7E-C2AB-43AD-AE5C-B63317C36508.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far for my Reef Mat 1200 usage I am using about 31" per day and that gives me about 44 days per roll which is kind of concerning because I cannot find anyone to sell a replacement roll...

unccanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea ReefMat 1200 Install on the Redsea Reefer S1000

I was finally able to make some time to install the Red Sea Reef Mat 1200. Here are my take aways:

1. Removing the glass with a full sump is tricky but with patience it took about 30 minutes. I used a utility knife from Home Depot. Some of the glass has almost no space to get under it so cut out the pieces you can first then move the ones you cant a bit by bending them back and forth to create a space to get the blade inbetween the glass to cut the silicone.

2. For the Reefer S-1000 you will need to remove the lower half of the return pipe by unscrewing it from the bottom of gate valve pipe. You will then have to cut that piece a little more than in half and you will need some pvc glue which is NOT supplied to glue on the adapter. Everything else you need is in the kit. Make sure to not cut your hose to short or you wont have enough play to bend it which will force you to have to move the unit over a bit taking up valuable sump space.

3. My unit connected immediately but my phone kept wanting to go back to my home network so before connecting to the unit I would recommend going to the wifi settings on your phone and forgetting your home wifi before connecting to the unit. Once connected set up ran an update and I was up and running 5 mins later.

4. Click auto advance on the app and as soon as the water level rises the mat will advance. So far I have used about 2 feet a day but I think that will go down a bit.

5. Tank definitely looks a little clearer I think pulling out fleece and socks always disturbed the detritus / sediment in the sump which got into the dt. This no longer is an issue.

so far it works as described with no issues. Even if I stay at 2 feet thats 57 days of not having to clean socks or fleece . The media basket holds a healthy amount of media as well. Gonna give it 5 stars for now….
0FE1F0DE-7827-49B8-9602-62EFC5EFF768.jpeg
ED02382D-B64D-4F84-8DBB-7BFD8532B553.jpeg
562A5F7E-C2AB-43AD-AE5C-B63317C36508.jpeg
What pieces did you use to connect the cut return pipe to the hose?

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the super late response but I know its tough I spent some time trying to figure it out I used the adapter that had to be glued to the pvc return. Did you end up doing the same?

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 MONTH UPDATE!

First thing I would say it what a difference at 7 months to 3 months. I know pretty much everyone is guilty of wanting to rush your tank into growing out and having a stable bio diverse system I am guilty of that buying and adding all the recommended bacteria, copepods, etc. but nothing really works as good as keeping your parameters consistent for the first 6 months. Everything just grows better and its tough to mess up a stable tank (unless of course you have some sort of equipment failure).

Issues I have dealt with:

ICH: I quarantined every fish but never a coral, about 2 months ago ICH started on a few fish and really only got really bad on a Powder Grey Tang. I took him out put him thru copper and he survived and is healthy as ever. Removing all my fish was not an option for me I spent a month trying to catch them and although I would have been able to catch 70% of them the last 30% would have been impossible without disturbing the rock / coral in the tank which I did not want to do so I went the ICH management route. I bought an oversized Aqua UV sterilizer which is connected to a second Ecotech Vectra S2 pump I put in the sump and I ran a line into a new return that I found on amazon that is a u pipe with suction cups. Its not visible from the front and has worked great and now I have two return pumps so I guess an added bonus of a back up pump. I also started mixing some medicines and the Reef Moonshiners Vitamin X into my fish food. I added them into my frozen food by defrosting, soaking, then re-freezing it and also into my automatic feeder's flake and pellet food. This is not an over night fix but 2 months later I only see a few spots on my fox face and everyone survived and is happy right now.

Red Cyano: I dealt with this in my frag tank connected to the sump that comes with this tank set up. The main issue was really flow I added a max spec gyre pump cleaned out the sump a few weeks in a row and added 10 snails which have pretty much eliminated this issue in the frag tank. I never had any real issues with this in the DT except a bit in the sand bed in the front of the tank under the top layer of sand. I get alot of sunlight bouncing off my patio floor into the room so I am guessing this is my issue. It eventually just went away on its own.

Low PH: I think this is the issue that really made the biggest difference of all. I read all about all the different ways to raise PH and ended up trying the easiest first which was a Ice Cap CO2 scrubber. If you dont already know this is simply a container filled with media that removes CO2 from the air connected to your protein skimmer. Its not going to make a HUGE difference but it will raise your PH I am consistently now around 8.12 to 8.21 and when I am the corals really grow. I highly recommend this to anyone with PH under 8 if your trying to grow SPS and are not having an luck. I know eventually I am going to need a better solution but for now it was the easiest cheapest way to raise up my PH.

Low Nutrients: Running Chaeto its easy to not notice your sucking all the nutrients out of your system. I have been dosing Neo-Nitro for 4 months now and I feed Reef Roids once a week. If I don't I end up with no Nitrate or Phosphate in the system. Once you find the right amount of NEO to dose and reef roids to add its not difficult keeping them in range. I also feed once a day on an auto-feeder flake and pellets as well as 6 cubes daily of frozen food 3 in the am and 3 when I get home from work.

Other than that I have been pretty lucky the Reef Mat is a great product I also highly recommend it after using it for 4 months its definitely a game changer and worth the money. 1 roller mat usually lasts about a month or so and between the roller mat and the UV if it were not for the shimmer you could not see the water in the tank. Here are some pictures as you can see the back is covered in Coraline. I am debating removing it my wife likes the cleaner look but I am worried thats going to mess up my chemistry does anyone have any feedback on if it would or not??

Dace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread. Question, Do you find that's enough light for the tank? I was thinking of getting a Redsea s-1000 and was thinking of doing 3x Radion XR30G6BLUE and a 2x reefbrite 72". My tank will be SPS dominate with no sand. Bare bottom. Do you think that would be too much light. Also, are your radions XR15 blue or pro? And the reefbrite blue or white?

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread. Question, Do you find that's enough light for the tank? I was thinking of getting a Redsea s-1000 and was thinking of doing 3x Radion XR30G6BLUE and a 2x reefbrite 72". My tank will be SPS dominate with no sand. Bare bottom. Do you think that would be too much light. Also, are your radions XR15 blue or pro? And the reefbrite blue or white?
Funny you ask that because I started with the XR30 GEN 5 Pro and 2 60" XHO reef brites and I was killing alot of SPS. My initial plan was to sell the 60" and get 72" but then the G6 came out so I sold my G5 Ecotechs, the reef brites, and bought 3 new G6 XR30 Blues (I wanted Pro but I brain farted when I clicked buy). As you can see above everything is growing good so I am not going to mess with it for now but eventually when everything is really grown out I will consider adding the Reef Brites again but for now with the amount of coral I have now and the space I don't think you need to start with so much spread.

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you ask that because I started with the XR30 GEN 5 Pro and 2 60" XHO reef brites and I was killing alot of SPS. My initial plan was to sell the 60" and get 72" but then the G6 came out so I sold my G5 Ecotechs, the reef brites, and bought 3 new G6 XR30 Blues (I wanted Pro but I brain farted when I clicked buy). As you can see above everything is growing good so I am not going to mess with it for now but eventually when everything is really grown out I will consider adding the Reef Brites again but for now with the amount of coral I have now and the space I don't think you need to start with so much spread.
Forgot to mention I have them set at 50% right now using the standard AB+ schedule. I use the acclimate mode whenever I add a new SPS for 30 days starting at 50% of the 50% and I know that may seem extreme but I have not lost an SPS since...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back