Red Sea Reefer XL 300

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about setting a tank back up after we sold our 450 because we moved. Thinking about doing a XL 300, would love to do larger like the 3XL 900!, but costs and placement so starting a bit smaller and if we can keep it going we may upgrade later. Here is the specs I'm thinking, any comments welcomed.

Red Sea Reefer XL 300
Red Sea DIY screen top or Clearview Tsunami Lid
Red Sea ReefLED 90 x2 or Ecotech XR15 G5 Blue x2
Red Sea ReefWave 25 x2 or Ecotech MP10 x2 Ecotech Vortech MP40 x2
Neptune Systems COR-15 or Neptune Systems COR-20 or Ecotech Vectra M2
Ecotech Vectra Dosing Pumps
Nyos 120 Protein Skimmer
Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 150W Heater x2

Since the Wave isn't out yet I'm not sure how good they are, but I like the Gyre style. But the Ecotech has the battery backup. Same issue with COR-15 over the S2 as Ecotech has the battery backup option.

Last edited:

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about setting a tank back up after we sold our 450 because we moved. Thinking about doing a XL 300, would love to do larger like the 3XL 900!, but costs and placement so starting a bit smaller and if we can keep it going we may upgrade later. Here is the specs I'm thinking, any comments welcomed.

Red Sea Reefer XL 300
Red Sea DIY screen top or Clearview lid
Red Sea ReefLED 90 x2 or Ecotech XR15 G5 Blue x2
Red Sea ReefWave 25 x2 or Ecotech MP10 x2
Neptune Systems COR-15 or Ecotech S2
Ecotech Vectra Dosing Pumps
Nyos 120 Protein Skimmer

Since the Wave isn't out yet I'm not sure how good they are, but I like the Gyre style. But the Ecotech has the battery backup. Same issue with COR-15 over the S2 as Ecotech has the battery backup option.
sounds good mostly however the lights may not be enough if you want to do high density sps. the skimmer may need to be upgrading depending on bioload. the return pump might need to be bigger if you want to run a manifold

what are your plans for stocking?

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I'm leaning more towards two XR15 G5 Blue now. I also think I'm going to stick with Ecotech for the wavemakers but uping it to MP40 since MP10 isn't recommended on glass thickness of 1/2".

I'm thinking of trying to go SPS but will be taking it slow. I'm pretty open for fish, thinking some yellow tangs that are smaller until they grow too large for the tank. Also cleaner wrasse. The prize fish I'm hoping to get is a pintail wrasse as I miss the one we had, a bit worried as the last one jumped out from our last tank with a lid >.<

sounds good mostly however the lights may not be enough if you want to do high density sps. the skimmer may need to be upgrading depending on bioload. the return pump might need to be bigger if you want to run a manifold

what are your plans for stocking?

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've narrowed it down to these specs. I was debating on going larger to the 525 XL but for the same price I could get the full Apex setup so I may stick with the 300 for now unless some great deal comes up.

Red Sea Reefer XL 300
Clearview Tsunami Lid
Ecotech XR15 G5 Blue x2
Ecotech Vortech MP40 x2
Neptune Systems COR-20 or Ecotech Vectra M2
Neptune Systems DOS
Nyos 120 Protein Skimmer

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've narrowed it down to these specs. I was debating on going larger to the 525 XL but for the same price I could get the full Apex setup so I may stick with the 300 for now unless some great deal comes up.

Red Sea Reefer XL 300
Clearview Tsunami Lid
Ecotech XR15 G5 Blue x2
Ecotech Vortech MP40 x2
Neptune Systems COR-20 or Ecotech Vectra M2
Neptune Systems DOS
Nyos 120 Protein Skimmer
I like all of these choices. Well, the 525 is better but I get it. Glad you moved away from the ReefLEDs at least until they got the firmware/software kinks worked out. Not that Ecotech launched their WR30s very well.

On the heaters though, you might consider the BRS heater/controller package, and back that up with your APEX. I do it, it seems pretty common, and not a bad value at all. You could easily make 2 X 100s work in FL.

Also suggest a spare wetside for the MP40s. So easy to keep your flow and keep them clean that way.

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I like the thought of having 100 gallons for the display. My LFS had the 625 in person and I really loved how deep that tank was, wish they would do all of them 24" deep and 24" height.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about the Inkbird controller. We had Colbalt in our last tank and they did great. I do like the sizing options better with those as the 300W Cobalts are just two 150W in a single plug.

I like all of these choices. Well, the 525 is better but I get it. Glad you moved away from the ReefLEDs at least until they got the firmware/software kinks worked out. Not that Ecotech launched their WR30s very well.

On the heaters though, you might consider the BRS heater/controller package, and back that up with your APEX. I do it, it seems pretty common, and not a bad value at all. You could easily make 2 X 100s work in FL.

Also suggest a spare wetside for the MP40s. So easy to keep your flow and keep them clean that way.

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t purchased anything yet but I’m most likely going to go Ecotech for a couple of reasons. The first is ease of cleaning, just swap heads and clean with the other is working. The main reason is for the battery backup option Ecotech offers. I’m most likely going to go full Ecotech and do the return pump as well so having everything controlled with one app will be nice as well.
Did you send up going with 2 x MP40 or 2 x Reefwave?

I'd like to know as well. And where you placed them and how happy you are.

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to update my list but going to add a few items for sure.
Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid
Ecotech dosing pump

Still debating on bare bottom or sand. Going with Marcos Rock.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to update my list but going to add a few items for sure.
Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid
Ecotech dosing pump

Still debating on bare bottom or sand. Going with Marcos Rock.
Do yourself a big favor and include some of that Florida live ocean rock. Your choice which source, but don't skip this step, IMO. The hobby was so much easier when we all started with live ocean rock.

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I'm working on collecting equipment for my own xl 300. Still need a light and pumps. Leaning towards a Sky and Tunze 6055's

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep debating on size because I think the best place for the tank would be on our second story, but that will limit the size of the tank I could go with so maybe the XL 300 would be too heavy at 800lbs.

I was looking at the Red Sea Nano and really like that. Down side is the small size will limit what fish I can have. I’d also like try getting into SPS and the smaller size can make it harder. But the upside is it would require smaller water changes and that means I’d need a smaller mixing station.

Wish Red Sea had a drag tank size. Would love something 12”-18” tall and have it be about 36” wide and 18”-24” deep would be about the perfect size for me.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an XL300 and find it to be a nice moderate sized tank. I went with all Ecotech components with mobius capabilities. Eshopps oversized skimmer and battery back up. XR15 pro lights to also on mobius app.

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the IM Nuvo EXT 50 Lagoon, that sounds like it should match many of your dimensions and lower weight overall compared to a xl 300.

I ended up with a xl 300 but I actually wanted a xl 200; I got tired of waiting for stock from red sea and BRS 10x points on red sea systems + availability I ended up with the larger xl 300. Lighting is the big pain as I feel 36" you need to start looking at two fixtures instead of one. Outside of lighting, no regrets and we're excited about the expanded fish options the wider/larger tank allows.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wherever you put the tank make sure it's in a place where you will be mostly! :)

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM tanks are better in size but I’d prefer not an AIO as I’d like full size equipment.

I was planning on doing a T5 hybrid so two XR15 was always the plan and with the wall mount for the Aquaticlife T5 there wouldn’t be any arms on the tank. But yeah even at 3’ you’d need two lights for sure.

Check out the IM Nuvo EXT 50 Lagoon, that sounds like it should match many of your dimensions and lower weight overall compared to a xl 300.
I ended up with a xl 300 but I actually wanted a xl 200; I got tired of waiting for stock from red sea and BRS 10x points on red sea systems + availability I ended up with the larger xl 300. Lighting is the big pain as I feel 36" you need to start looking at two fixtures instead of one. Outside of lighting, no regrets and we're excited about the expanded fish options the wider/larger tank allows.

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is a great plan and the spot for the larger tank wouldn’t be enjoyed as much as my office but since that is on the second floor I’m limited by size because of weight :/ But the limit would make it where the tank could fill in quicker. But I wouldn’t be able to get the wrasses I’d want due to the size limit. Trying to weight the good and bad for both is still making it hard as there isn’t a clear winner.
Wherever you put the tank make sure it's in a place where you will be mostly! :)

OP
OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife isn't feeling comfortable with all the weight from a 80 gallon tank on the second floor. Debating on the Red Sea Reefer Nano/170/XL 200 or putting the XL 300 downstairs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back