Red sea reefer XL 425 deluxe

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch ;Hurting came home today from work to another torch coral head that died and when I was dipping it I noticed that my second gold torch was dying as well :( I don't know what's wrong or going on. I have eliminated carbon dosing and I know its only been a few weeks so the nopox is still in my water column. I am going to stop dosing red sea trace elements A B C and D for now just to rule them out. I haven't done enough research on them to see if they could be a culprit. It's frustrating but I can't give up I must figure out what is wrong and how to fix this.

Nice corals!

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch ;Hurting came home today from work to another torch coral head that died and when I was dipping it I noticed that my second gold torch was dying as well :( I don't know what's wrong or going on. I have eliminated carbon dosing and I know its only been a few weeks so the nopox is still in my water column. I am going to stop dosing red sea trace elements A B C and D for now just to rule them out. I haven't done enough research on them to see if they could be a culprit. It's frustrating but I can't give up I must figure out what is wrong and how to fix this ;Blackeye

20180626_205210.jpg

20180626_205218.jpg

I share your frustration. It keeps coming back in my tank. Lost my gold hammer. Slow death. Everything is spot on. No Pellets. Standard 2 part dosing and feeding. Nothing fancy being done on my tank either, but can’t seem to figure out the loss of one head at a time.

I feel that these tanks need more time to stabilize. Like more than a year before adding any corals. But hey we all hang in there doing our best. So hang on bud.

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I share your frustration. It keeps coming back in my tank. Lost my gold hammer. Slow death. Everything is spot on. No Pellets. Standard 2 part dosing and feeding. Nothing fancy being done on my tank either, but can’t seem to figure out the loss of one head at a time.

I feel that these tanks need more time to stabilize. Like more than a year before adding any corals. But hey we all hang in there doing our best. So hang on bud.
Thank you it's nice to know I'm not alone and others are in the same boat. We can't give up though we must figure out what it is

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the gold torch, it was looking good all week long but after the water change today its not happy and I can see dying tissue :( I dipped it again today and took a picture to share :( I just wish I could figure it out.

I also tested as usual today and got
Nitrate 18 that's high for me but I'm switching off of the carbon dosing and using purigen in a reactor, I'm up to 600ml
Phosphate 0.08
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1325
Alkalinity 9.10
PH 8.2
Salinity 1.025

20180701_191232.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the other torches in the tank doing well today but day to day I don't know what's going to happen next. But I won't give in or give up I have to figure out what it is :confused:

20180701_191236.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold torch not looking good :( another dip tonight and if tomorrow it dosent look good I'm going to try and cut off the dying head in an attempt to save the other one :(

20180703_202641.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update in the tank as of this weekend
My nitrates finally stopped rising and now I have figured how much purigen I need to run. Now I can rudece them with water changes. The gold torch is hiking on by a thread I don't think it will last to much longer :( but all other corals are happy! This scoly is hungry :)

IMG951506.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold torch was not doing good today one of the heads was a total loss after 3 weeks of dipping I couldn't save it :(

So I cut the one head off in a ditch effort to save the last remaining head :confused:

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is a cause and I know I've asked before and I've been told that they are harmless but every time I dipped the gold torch a few of these worms came off of it

View attachment 20180707_110505.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But on a better note the gold frogspawn that fell into my plate Coral that I thought was for sure a goner, is looking really good :)

IMG_1527.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly update on the tank
The nitrates are still high around 25 I did my normal 20% water change but all the corals look happy :)
The gold torch head that I saved is doing good and the gold frogspawn is almost recovered 100%
My phosphates are at 0.06 I checked them with the redsea Phosphate pro test kit and the low range Hanna Phosphate checker so they are going down :)
My wife got me all new testers this week :D all Hanna checkers!
Phosphate
Alkalinity
Calcium
And PH just to double check the Apex probe. I can't get the ph tester to calibrate its seems really simple but it won't calibrate :confused:
Everything seems OK this week I've got my fingers crossed! Here is a updated pic with no filter so I apologize if it's not the best.

20180715_192948.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back