OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radion diffusers came in today as well. No hot spots on PAR meeter readings! I'll post some pics of my fish and coral quarantine soon. I added some ulva to my fuge and it has already doubled!

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@svogun Beautiful tank and very nice work in your basement. I'm about to install a custom tank of similar size, but more weight (thicker glass). I'm interested in what's at the top of your jack posts. A picture would be great! How far apart are those posts? Are they sitting on your existing concrete basement floor? Thank You !
---Frank

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@svogun Beautiful tank and very nice work in your basement. I'm about to install a custom tank of similar size, but more weight (thicker glass). I'm interested in what's at the top of your jack posts. A picture would be great! How far apart are those posts? Are they sitting on your existing concrete basement floor? Thank You !
---Frank
The tank sits parallel to the floor joists so I placed four steel jackpots with 4x4s nailed perpendicular to the joist approximately the length of the tank and the base of the jackposts are on the basement concrete.

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fish arrived from Live Aquaria on Saturday: Juvenile Emperor Angel, Powder Brown Tang, 2 Sebae Clowns. Pics to of QT tank to follow!

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... Not a great delivery from Live Aquaria.... Powder Brown with velvet dead today. FW dip clowns and Emperor with acriflavine bath. Copper power running in QT. Hopefully they make it through. Finding it harder and harder to get healthy fish online....

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while I've been slacking on posting I have been busy stocking my 750XXl and could not be happier with my progress. I just ordered some light filters for my camera so I want to update the progress of the tank for you guys to see.

Despite the urge to fast forward the tanks progress, I took my time and really had no issues with nuisance algae (knock on wood). At around the 6 month mark I added some hardy montipora frags and they were thriving for a while and then I noticed some significant lightening of the tissue. While I was getting some brown algae growth at the time and getting some growth of chaeto in my fuge, my phosphate and nitrate were both at zero. Slowly over several weeks I dosed Neophos and Potassium Nitrate and I am happy to say that all corals are now thriving and colorful again. I think in my earlier days I would have panicked, over corrected rapidly and likely removed the frags. I was amazed at how all corals that were seemingly lifeless rebounded over several weeks. Additionally, as I slowly began to stock the tank with more fish, my nitrates are between 5 and 10, and phosphate between 0.05 to 0.1 without additional dosing.

My livestock list has nicely expanded over the year but one sad note is that my male Genicanthus w. didn't make it. Not sure if my clowns beat him up or one of the tangs, but I was sorely disappointed and am hopeful to add another male down the road. Also interested in anyone's experience on adding additional female Genicanthus species together. I would like to add a variety if possible. My female Watanabei has been the queen of the tank as the only angel for a while so I do worry about territoriality with new additions.

Current Livestock:
2 Clarkii Clownfish
Watanabei female
Scopas Tang
Sailfin Tang
Hippo Tang
Falco Hawkfish
Harlequin Tusk (PHI)

Corals
Elegance coral (AUS)
Golden torch
Duncan colony
multiple types of montiopora
3 different acro species
birdnest

1 Large Derasa Clam
1 Maxima Clam

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintenance:
continuous auto water change with Apex DOS changing approx 15%/week
refugium with ulva and ogo macroalgae set on a reverse light cycle to main tank
No filter socks!
Carbon reactor: media change every 2 weeks
20ml of Vibrant appox every 2 weeks ( I dose this if phosphate gets to 0.1)
upgraded to a Precision Marine skimmer

Dosing:
combination of Kalk and 2 part to maintain Alk: 8.5-9 and Ca: 430-450.
Red Sea Coral Colors dosed once per week based on Ca addition

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the hits just keep on rolling this week. I have two vectra L1s for my return pumps. I have two so if one goes down there is a backup. Swapped one out for cleaning and the one I put in service failed!!! I bit the bullet and just ordered the Abyzz A200. Once I get it I will have the current vectra as my backup. Lots of big upgrades this week. More pics of the tank to follow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back