Red Sea ReefLed 90

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone

I wanted to get some opinions on switching out my g4 pros for a set of the Red Sea ReefLed 90 lights. I have been in and out of the hobby for the better part of 7 years and that entire time I have just had Eco Tech lights and pumps. I recently bought the ReefWave 45s to replace my mp40s.... and am now considering switching out my lights to the LED90's.

Thoughts?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,

So far the Red Sea ReefLed 90 has got the best / "90 watt led rating" from Bulk Reef Supply testing.

But, some love the app and others say that it disconnects.

They did have a few over heating power supplies, but I think it's been worked out.

They also have spectrum color management / like Kessil lights have.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the 90 on my daughter's E-170 and they recently did a firmware update which addressed the disconnect problem. It's a really good light and I had some corals in my tank, (Hydra 26 HDs), that didn't like the light. Switched them to her tank and they came back with better colors

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the 90 on my daughter's E-170 and they recently did a firmware update which addressed the disconnect problem. It's a really good light and I had some corals in my tank, (Hydra 26 HDs), that didn't like the light. Switched them to her tank and they came back with better colors

Do you prefer the HD's or the Red Sea 90?

OP
OP
C

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the replay and feedback.
Just been thinking about something different for a change. I find myself constant looking at my lights thinking well let’s add a little more this then that. Then I don’t like it then more tinkering.
I like the idea of set it and forget it approach. My tank is all sps and the brs testing Shows good PAR output.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 ReefLED 90s on my RSR 525 and they are running fine. After I first set them up one of the units disconnected from ReefBeat (but kept running OK) and I had to remove and re-add it. Since then I’ve had no issues with them and the app. No issues with them disconnecting etc, so the latest firmware updates appear to have fixed that. I did have to manually change them for daylight savings, will be interested to see if they fix that before the next change.

The power bricks do run hot. Very hot. I originally had them in the stand but when I realised how hot they got I moved them out of there and placed them behind the tank so they get lots of ventilation. They seem fine there.

Cblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefled 90 on my reefer 170. I will say it is a good light the color is good with a nice shimmer effect but i dont care for the app, i have had a few disconnection issues but not as bad as some people were having. The app just feels a little clunky. The worst part of the light is the power supply, that thing gets hot when running at 90w. Its so hot i would not want it near anything flammable or where kids could touch it, I mounted mine to a strip of aluminum to help dissipate some of the heat. Should also mention for sps i find the coverage a little lacking with just the one light so i added the aquatic life t5 hybrid (which does mount pretty seem less into it with 4 new screws) within the next couple weeks will be trying out a new Radion xr15 g5 pro to compare as i have one on order.

OP
OP
C

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 3 ReefLED 90s on my RSR 525 and they are running fine. After I first set them up one of the units disconnected from ReefBeat (but kept running OK) and I had to remove and re-add it. Since then I’ve had no issues with them and the app. No issues with them disconnecting etc, so the latest firmware updates appear to have fixed that. I did have to manually change them for daylight savings, will be interested to see if they fix that before the next change.

The power bricks do run hot. Very hot. I originally had them in the stand but when I realised how hot they got I moved them out of there and placed them behind the tank so they get lots of ventilation. They seem fine there.
any pics you could share of the lights over the tank?

I have a reefled 90 on my reefer 170. I will say it is a good light the color is good with a nice shimmer effect but i dont care for the app, i have had a few disconnection issues but not as bad as some people were having. The app just feels a little clunky. The worst part of the light is the power supply, that thing gets hot when running at 90w. Its so hot i would not want it near anything flammable or where kids could touch it, I mounted mine to a strip of aluminum to help dissipate some of the heat. Should also mention for sps i find the coverage a little lacking with just the one light so i added the aquatic life t5 hybrid (which does mount pretty seem less into it with 4 new screws) within the next couple weeks will be trying out a new Radion xr15 g5 pro to compare as i have one on order.
What made you decide to pick up the xr15?

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two on my Reefer 350, setup was a nightmare, had to hard reset both by unscrewing the top and removing the battery. Now they run fine, can’t really comment on growth yet but corals look happy with it, I like the settings but the app takes a few moments to connect to the lights it’s a bit annoying. Agreed the brick runs crazy hot, makes me worried for the long term.
Overall I’d say they’re a decent product, but I expect more than decent at almost 1k a pair with mounts. As always with Red Sea everything looks amazing on paper but the execution is lacking.

Cblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What made you decide to pick up the xr15?
I just dont feel like the reefled has the coverage for sps im looking for, which is why i added the t5. The new radions appear to have better coverage so i am willing to give it a shot. I haven’t owned a radion since gen 2. I will compare the two for a while and take some par readings.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with some of the posters above, you need to mount the power supply on some kind of metal bracket behind the tank. I ended up using zip ties to keep it away from other things and keep the clutter down.

The color in my opinion is a bit on the blue side if you go on presets. I have a custom light schedule and I have been very happy with the results. The shimmer is great for such a small compact package. The connectivity and disconnect issues have been resolved in the most recent update.

I have been having great growth on my LPS and SPS.

The reef 90 has a fish or coral acclimation mode that you can customize, cloudy day generator and a lunar cycle.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure, here it is. I currently have a temporary top on the tank and when I get the final one in a couple of months I’ll move the two outside ones a little closer to the centre. The tank is only 2 months old so not yet stocked.
5114BF67-431B-4D1E-BFD6-F098FCB282BF.jpeg

jbassking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 2 of the 90's but haven't opened them yet. I'm a little concerned that they may be too blue. I was thinking of the Kessil A360WE's but was talked into these by the salesman. He sells both lights and said he really likes the ReefLED's. With them being so expensive and I don't know if they can be returned, I'm worried I won't like them.

Is there enough white light? They're going on a 180g peninsula tank. I'm starting with 2 lights and will add a 3rd in a month.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust the spectrum quite widely to suit your needs. They come with a few built-in programs to choose from (15K, 20K & 23K) but you can tweak it as much as you like. Different temps at different times of day/days of week etc. 15K is blue and white at 100%.

I run mine currently in a 15K cycle but will probably introduce a little more blue once the tank starts to fill out.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed 3 ReefLED's on my 105g DT--mounted on a pendant--a month ago and am running the latest firmware and they are working perfectly (I am loudly knocking on wood as I write this).

I do not have a large basis of experience for comparison, but the colors are beautiful and I really like the app's functionality: custom programming is very intuitive; will not easily let you get outside of acceptable K spectrums; and all of the individual elements like the different cloud options, lunar cycle, etc., allow further customization. I'm very impressed and would not hesitate to buy again.

On a related note, I actually own 2 Reefwave 45's as well and had an issue with a faulty controller and Red Sea's customer service is excellent.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love my Reefled 90s. I haven’t had any disconnect issues with mine so far. I personally run 23k because I like a nice blue look but 15k or 20k are not that blue. I’ve also made a few custom color temps by just leaving the blue at 100% and adjusting the white. So you can get whatever look you want. You could even turn the blue down under 100% and crank the whites up to get under 15k but you’d lose par that way.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else having trouble going above 60% with theirs? I've been acclimating my corals for more than a month now and I can tell above 60% lots of my LPS will retract due to light, even those at the bottom.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back