Red Sea Regal Angel

Angels best

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since i wanted to have an only Angel aquarium my itchy hands have been looking at #liveaquaria Red sea regal angel. I’ve had the indonesian origin before but unfortunately my trigger killed it (due to my newbie thinking and impatience)

Now that im more equipped with proper knowledge and patience my question is purchasing regal online (liveaquaria) will it be difficult for me to train them to eat?

#angelfish #regalangel

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an indo regal angel that was eating a little at the LFS, but never really ate enough and died after a few months.

I believe red sea are supposed to adapt a little better, but they're still regals. So just be prepared with many different foods & know that it may not adapt.

Beautiful fish, but not an easy fish. Good luck if you try.

OP
OP
A

Angels best

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an indo regal angel that was eating a little at the LFS, but never really ate enough and died after a few months.

I believe red sea are supposed to adapt a little better, but they're still regals. So just be prepared with many different foods & know that it may not adapt.

Beautiful fish, but not an easy fish. Good luck if you try.

Did you mean it will be harder since my purchasing it online and not seeing it eat personally?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since i wanted to have an only Angel aquarium my itchy hands have been looking at #liveaquaria Red sea regal angel. I’ve had the indonesian origin before but unfortunately my trigger killed it (due to my newbie thinking and impatience)

Now that im more equipped with proper knowledge and patience my question is purchasing regal online (liveaquaria) will it be difficult for me to train them to eat?

#angelfish #regalangel

I'd go with Diver's den if you will be ordering online. Although it took 3 fish for me to get 1 healthy and eating. The first 2 I received had some sort of infection and died overnight.
The current one I've had for a month and eats all frozen foods like a pig, won't touch any pellets yet.

If you get it from the regular LA site, it won't be conditioned at all so be prepared to treat for various things and also there;'s no guarantee that it will eat.

Enticing regals that don't accept any food is an uphill battle, you should have various frozen, dry and live foods handy but there's no guarantee and IME success rate is pretty low. You also have to make sure it is with really peaceful tankmates in the beginning or it will just hide.

OP
OP
A

Angels best

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with Diver's den if you will be ordering online. Although it took 3 fish for me to get 1 healthy and eating. The first 2 I received had some sort of infection and died overnight.
The current one I've had for a month and eats all frozen foods like a pig, won't touch any pellets yet.

If you get it from the regular LA site, it won't be conditioned at all so be prepared to treat for various things and also there;'s no guarantee that it will eat.

Enticing regals that don't accept any food is an uphill battle, you should have various frozen, dry and live foods handy but there's no guarantee and IME success rate is pretty low. You also have to make sure it is with really peaceful tankmates in the beginning or it will just hide.

I only have a magnificent foxface and lionfish which both are very peaceful.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if i purchase it and place it on my QT with furan2 that’s ok right ?

Keep in mind that a Lionfish will usually try to eat anything it can fit in its mouth. If you get a small regal it could end up as a snack.

You should only treat with antibiotics if there are signs of bacterial infections. I personally always observe fish in QT first for signs of disease before deciding whether to treat. These days prophylactic treatment with copper or chloroquine and prazi seem to make much more sense though.

Check out this excellent post by @HotRocks for more info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean it will be harder since my purchasing it online and not seeing it eat personally?

I meant they're a hard fish in general. Getting it online just means you won't be able to see how it eats. An important part of selecting these guys. It takes them a few months to starve, which is beyond the 14 day guarantee, so that will only help you if it's in bad shape or doa when it arrives.

My favorite fish, but I won't be trying one again. I hate watching fish just fade away.

OP
OP
A

Angels best

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant they're a hard fish in general. Getting it online just means you won't be able to see how it eats. An important part of selecting these guys. It takes them a few months to starve, which is beyond the 14 day guarantee, so that will only help you if it's in bad shape or doa when it arrives.

My favorite fish, but I won't be trying one again. I hate watching fish just fade away.

That’s true i also saw another at LFS. But my QT has furan 2 at the moment is that ok?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red Sea variant is the only one that I would try online. They are almost impossible to get to eat. The Indo variant is impossible.

Furan-2 in the water is probably a good idea as these guys are really succeptable to infection.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't know about furan 2, I didn't treat mine. Was waiting for it to eat good first before medicating, unfortunately never did.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't know about furan 2, I didn't treat mine. Was waiting for it to eat good first before medicating, unfortunately never did.
In all honesty I have had better luck with them eating in medication than without.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just be lucky but I have had great success with them and from la.My current avatar is one that I have had for a year.I qt him and he ate out of the gate.He now eats just about anything I offer.
Most I see at the lfs arrive in bad shape and usually don't make it more than a few days or more.With that said it is an expensive roll of the dice.With the 14 day la guarantee at least you have some coverage in the event of a quick death.It is one of my favorite fish in the tank and I would try again if something was to happen to one of mine.I would go with liveaquaria again as well.
Good luck it's a beautiful fish when acclimated and housed properly.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just be lucky but I have had great success with them and from la.My current avatar is one that I have had for a year.I qt him and he ate out of the gate.He now eats just about anything I offer.
Most I see at the lfs arrive in bad shape and usually don't make it more than a few days or more.With that said it is an expensive roll of the dice.With the 14 day la guarantee at least you have some coverage in the event of a quick death.It is one of my favorite fish in the tank and I would try again if something was to happen to one of mine.I would go with liveaquaria again as well.
Good luck it's a beautiful fish when acclimated and housed properly.
The one living in my DT is also a LA fish. Not even DD.

I also had luck with the only one I ever tried from Blue Zoo as well.

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Red Sea regal from Mike at NYAquatic about a month ago. He sent me a video of the fish eating prior to purchase. Shipped well and acclimated great. Was nice and fat when he arrived and I do mean fat....

He was eating within a few days with a combination of garlic, selcon, nori, mysis, and an angel fish blend. I also got some fresh clams on a half shell he enjoyed. Now, he would eat a shoe if I put it in there.....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back