red sea salt mix without RO water?

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends

Because of nitrate and phosphate issues i have to change the tank water more frequently now. My LFS is bit far and it's bit troublesome to get salt water from that place every time.

I know there is a Reg sea salt mix but we need to use RO water (as per their instructions). I also know that most of ya'll agree and recommend RO water.

I don't have a RODI device. I will order one but not right now. My local LFS told me that I can use distilled +red sea mix. Is that true?

For example - https://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com/en/products/dasani/original/20-oz/ if you see it's a pure clean drinking water. So it should be safe enough if use this water and red sea salt to create my own salt water right?

Any suggestions #reefsquad ?

Thanks

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya to be honest i don't mind paying for Distilled water bottles. it's not that expensive here..

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but i can use Distilled water + red sea salt mix and that shouldn't be a problem right? i guess i only need to check the salinity?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue with distilled in general. But second the tds meter for it.

If distilled and bottled correctly distilled water should be as pure as ro/di.

Why you cant use tap water and why you should test the distilled or ro/di you use for salt mixing occasionally.

Can have calcium or carbonates present. So if the tap water has 2dkh that 11 dkh salt mix is now 13dkh as an example.

Can have algae food, nitrate phosphate etc.

Heavy metals could be present in your line or the main lines.

Hope that clears a few things up.

[emoji4]

ruth howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends

Because of nitrate and phosphate issues i have to change the tank water more frequently now. My LFS is bit far and it's bit troublesome to get salt water from that place every time.

I know there is a Reg sea salt mix but we need to use RO water (as per their instructions). I also know that most of ya'll agree and recommend RO water.

I don't have a RODI device. I will order one but not right now. My local LFS told me that I can use distilled +red sea mix. Is that true?

For example - https://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com/en/products/dasani/original/20-oz/ if you see it's a pure clean drinking water. So it should be safe enough if use this water and red sea salt to create my own salt water right?

Any suggestions #reefsquad ?

Thanks
I work for Coca-Cola as a service technician. Dasani has a TDS of 17. I wouldn't use it for mixing salt. I took my TDS meter to work and showed my supervisor the difference between the tap water and the Dasani. Yes, Dasani is significantly lower in TDS than tap, but they add minerals back to the water for taste. People shouldn't dink 0 TDS water. It would be worth your time and you would actually save money by installing an RO/DI system in your home. You should try to use 0 TDS for mixing salt water and for top off water. 0 TDS will help avoid algae. I have never used distilled, but it would be cheaper than Dasani or any other consumable bottled water.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes.

Some advice, RO/DI systems are like lighting. If you go cheap you will be replacing the system with a batter system fairly soon. If one does the math by the time one replaces a system one could have bought and very nice system. I made this mistake before;)

Start looking for a 4 stage system with a filter, carbon, ro, and di. One can alway add I have found later also.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day before RO/DI units became relatively cheap. We use to mix salt water with tap and dechlorinator. It is always best to use a low TDS so as to keep any metals or too high phosphates from getting mixed into you water causing issues with your aquarium. I would check your local water treatment authority water quality report to see what your tap water is like. Most post this info on their website at least once a year.

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue with distilled in general. But second the tds meter for it.

If distilled and bottled correctly distilled water should be as pure as ro/di.

Why you cant use tap water and why you should test the distilled or ro/di you use for salt mixing occasionally.

Can have calcium or carbonates present. So if the tap water has 2dkh that 11 dkh salt mix is now 13dkh as an example.

Can have algae food, nitrate phosphate etc.

Heavy metals could be present in your line or the main lines.

Hope that clears a few things up.

[emoji4]

Thanks for those heads up. Really appreciate it.

I work for Coca-Cola as a service technician. Dasani has a TDS of 17. I wouldn't use it for mixing salt. I took my TDS meter to work and showed my supervisor the difference between the tap water and the Dasani. Yes, Dasani is significantly lower in TDS than tap, but they add minerals back to the water for taste. People shouldn't dink 0 TDS water. It would be worth your time and you would actually save money by installing an RO/DI system in your home. You should try to use 0 TDS for mixing salt water and for top off water. 0 TDS will help avoid algae. I have never used distilled, but it would be cheaper than Dasani or any other consumable bottled water.

OMG! I used to top-up my tank using Dasani water :( I should get a TDS meter asap I guess. If I don't have a RO device at this moment, can tell me what type of water i can use to topup? Any recommended distilled water brand?

They make portable RODI units that are inexpensive. You hook it right up to your kitchen sink and when you are done, you put it away.

Here is one for $69

https://www.marinedepot.com/Aquatic..._Systems-AquaticLife-AK01016-FIROROTS-vi.html

You could make your RO water into your buckets, then put the RO unit away in a closet while you mix your salt into it. It does not have to be an elaborate set up.

Thank you, I will take a look at it :)

Yes.

Some advice, RO/DI systems are like lighting. If you go cheap you will be replacing the system with a batter system fairly soon. If one does the math by the time one replaces a system one could have bought and very nice system. I made this mistake before;)

Start looking for a 4 stage system with a filter, carbon, ro, and di. One can alway add I have found later also.

I totally get it. It's better to spend some $$$ and get a good one. I will check these 4 stage units. Thank you :)

Back in the day before RO/DI units became relatively cheap. We use to mix salt water with tap and dechlorinator. It is always best to use a low TDS so as to keep any metals or too high phosphates from getting mixed into you water causing issues with your aquarium. I would check your local water treatment authority water quality report to see what your tap water is like. Most post this info on their website at least once a year.

Thanks for that info. I guess i have to get a TDS asap.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two issues of using tap water. one is the elements you add that can be detrimental. Silicates, phosphates that can contribute to algae issues; the unknowns like even copper; along with any other elements to throw off the balance and perhaps cause precip. Second is the ph, tap water will have a higher ph than designed to be used with the salt mix, that will throw off the ph you add to the tank.Yes distilled water is a good alternative, water stores around her here sell a variety of water including ro.

BRS has some excellent RO systems at good prices.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get it. It's better to spend some $$$ and get a good one. I will check these 4 stage units. Thank you :)

You could find something used and modify it for the same price as a new inexpensive unit;). I have a unit that was suggested, and it is a good unit. I started looking into the cost over time for media and filters plus speed was another reason for the upgrade. After upgrading I added another carbon filter, and a booster pump.

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two issues of using tap water. one is the elements you add that can be detrimental. Silicates, phosphates that can contribute to algae issues; the unknowns like even copper; along with any other elements to throw off the balance and perhaps cause precip. Second is the ph, tap water will have a higher ph than designed to be used with the salt mix, that will throw off the ph you add to the tank.Yes distilled water is a good alternative, water stores around her here sell a variety of water including ro.

BRS has some excellent RO systems at good prices.

Thanks for that info. I will not use tap water at any cost.

You could find something used and modify it for the same price as a new inexpensive unit;). I have a unit that was suggested, and it is a good unit. I started looking into the cost over time for media and filters plus speed was another reason for the upgrade. After upgrading I added another carbon filter, and a booster pump.

Thanks again, yea I agree with you. After all we should have a proper unit with good speed. I'm gonna source it online. Here in LFS it's around $400-$500.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought an RODI system from BRS before I even bought my tank. Because I wanted to make sure I had pure clean water. I have read people buying water from the LFS with higher TDS then coming out of there own sink. You also don’t know how often they change there filters out. I just recommend to get a RODI unit ASAP so then you know your water is pure.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....... Here in LFS it's around $400-$500.

That is too much unless it is one fully decked out.

I have a great 7 stage with booster pump and didn't pay near that.

TDS handhelds are super cheap on Amazon.

Distilled is good and completely stripped, I buy the 5g bottles of drinking water on water cooler buying Primo with a 3 TDS every time.

Glad you're here and we welcome you. Cheers

ruth howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am using the Spectrapure chloramine removal RO/DI system. I used to use the RO buddie when I had a smaller tank. The RO buddie worked well, however, I had to constantly change or repack the DI resin. The Spectrapure or any other good brand like Aqua FX or BRS are more expensive initially, however, they don't need the filters and DI resin changed as often as the RO buddie. I haven't checked all the prices, but the cheapest new Spectrapure system is about $180. It may seem like a lot, but think of how much you spend for distilled water.

OP
OP
ElitePirate

ElitePirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am using the Spectrapure chloramine removal RO/DI system. I used to use the RO buddie when I had a smaller tank. The RO buddie worked well, however, I had to constantly change or repack the DI resin. The Spectrapure or any other good brand like Aqua FX or BRS are more expensive initially, however, they don't need the filters and DI resin changed as often as the RO buddie. I haven't checked all the prices, but the cheapest new Spectrapure system is about $180. It may seem like a lot, but think of how much you spend for distilled water.

I agree. getting a RODI unit will really save me some $$ in the future.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow that is pricy. This is the one I went with and I am very happy link

Back