Red Sea salt regular

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else get this brownish stuff in their brute mixing bucket?
I have been using this salt for enough years and used to have to clean out the bucket every now and then but now this stuff is not only on the inside surface of the bucket but LOTS of fine particles are floating in the batch of salt water and I know it’s ending up in my tank. I’ve never experienced this before. Anybody have any input?

E5348CC1-4A80-47E9-BE37-E6B382604DF4.jpeg

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use redsea salt but I actually get the same thing( tropic Marin) and Normally get that when I turn off the pump for circulation within my storage container. I have never had any ill effects when use but I run it through a filter via reactor to clean it before adding into my tank anyway

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience last week with a new bag of RS Pro salt. The water also stayed cloudy longer than usual. I usually can mix 20 gallons of RODI/salt in 30/40 min with my Sicce 2500 gph pump. This new salt took over 3 hour to clear. There was brown crud on the pump and wall/floor of the Brute can after I removed the salt water

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used Red Sea I was always amazed at how brown the mixing container got.
I am now using Tropic Marin and it is much better with only a very slight coating inside the barrel

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the first time I experienced the brown coating. I have been using Red Sea Pro since 2017

icycoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nothing new. We have seen this for over a decade. It is an anti-caking compound and another minor impurity.

In some cases buckets of fms can grow a bacterial mulm if let sit too long. The bacterial growth mentioned can still occur with circulation pumps in use.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: What I have come to notice is that this problem happened in the summer when my cellar is on the warm side. That's where I store my water. Since the Fall when the weather cooled off and thus my cellar was cool I don't have this problem. So, I assume this is a temperature related thing.

Back