Red Sea Salts

Phil Glen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a question about Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.

Forgive me if this is wrong but if its considered to be one of the best salts to use why is the KH level around 11.5 and when I am reading threads on KH levels the optimum level everyone seems to target is around 7 to 8?

Yes, they offer this level in the blue bucket salt but why on earth are they maintaining a level of 11.5 should be achieved when all other brands are around the 7 to 8 KH level??

For my tank it’s a 130L mixed reef and my KH level is around 12. Should I stop dosing and let the KH level naturally fall to around 8 and then use another brand of salt as the growth I am seeing is very average and according to Red Sea a higher KH promotes coral growth better?

Many thanks,

Phil

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Phil

i believe it’s designed so the majority of reefers can run a reef tank using simple water changes to maintain adequate levels, or at least keep everything alive

Because of the higher element levels, It can also be used for accelerated growth with raised nutrient levels (nitrate and phosphate), under the original Red Sea Accelerated Growth program which I followed for 12 months or so

Myself I now go for ’normal’ levels, like alkalinity around 8.5 dKH etc. and use the standard Red Sea salt.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea believes that elevated parameters is best for a mixed reef, in terms of growth and coloration. Seems Fritz (Redline) either copies or agrees.

Combined with elevated nutrients, (my nitrate is 10ppm and phosphate is 0.01ppm) both growth and colour are noticeably better after a running this level for a year now.

Whether this is a result of the above on its own, no way to determine, but I have stuck to it for years now.

E9DDE904-C2CA-4F3B-BD02-4D632D8C505B.jpeg

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back