Red Sea Test Kit

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! So after reading many different threads I decided to upgrade from the api kit to the red sea test kit. I dont have any coral in my tank, but do have some button zoas. My zoas arent looking too hot and I read they do best in higher alkalinity so decided to test. I admit this was my first time testing my KH. So here is my problem..as I understood the instructions, one drop of the titrant should have brought my 5ml sample to the "start" color. It barely changed my water color. I actually had to add five drops. Now Im not quite sure how to read my results. Any assistance would be much appreciated, but Im going to assume right off the bat that my KH level must be off. Question is....is it too high or too low??

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure this is a Red Sea Alkalinity test kit? My Red Sea test kit requires 10 mls of tank water and then a colorimetric titration until it goes from blue to a redish color.

HERE's a video that shows the use of Red Sea Alkalinity.

OP
OP
bumperbeetle

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the kit.
e48cf43bcaa3af5873d35c9c9a413c94.jpg

Mine is supposed to go from blue to green. Here is a shot of the instructions for this particular test
7bac1cfcbee7adc91ce696cad0b3678d.jpg

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bumperbeetle, most interesting. I have the Red Sea Pro test kit and it calls for 10 mls where the color changes from blue to red. Are you telling me Red Sea has two different kits for testing Alkalinity? Most interesting. Wonder if anyone could shed some light on this? Just wondering why?

OP
OP
bumperbeetle

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bumperbeetle, most interesting. I have the Red Sea Pro test kit and it calls for 10 mls where the color changes from blue to red. Are you telling me Red Sea has two different kits for testing Alkalinity? Most interesting. Wonder if anyone could shed some light on this? Just wondering why?

I would appreciate it as well. Anyone out there have any input?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost said the exact same as redfiahbluefish, weird that the non-pro version is that different. . maybe for higher accuracy?

I don't know what to say with the non-pro version as I've never tried it, sorry.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appear to be a level of accuracy thing. The pro kit measures to an accuracy of 0.05 meq/l (0.14 dKH), while the "regular" measures to an accuracy of 0.36 meq/l (1 dkH). Here's the two descriptions from Red Sea

Red Sea Alkalinity

Red Sea Pro Alkalinity

Interestingly the "regular" kit comes with this instruction, "The Red Sea’s KH-Alkalinity test kit enables accurate dosing of Red Sea’s KH Coralline Gro or Reef Foundation B Buffer Supplements in fish-only systems." I read this as if you have a reef tank, use the Pro kit to measure and adjust alkalinity....."regular" kit for FO or FOWLR.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used any Red Sea kits, but in any ordinary alk titration I'd go all the way to the endpoint and count all drops, even those before the "start".

If you do that, what alk do you get?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both kits, it also barely changes color with the first drop. Very close to pro kit results. the water will turn bluer after each drop when it turns green thats your alk reading. I just get to 8 drops with regular test kit, last time I checked with pro it was 7.8

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't measure things much any more because I know my procedures work for my system without testing anything except salinity and temp. I also monitor pH.

A Triton test recently confirmed that potassium, magnesium and calcium were as expected.

When I've measured alk in the past 10 years, it's been with a DIY titration:

https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/a-diy-alkalinity-test-by-randy-holmes-farley/

OP
OP
bumperbeetle

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both kits, it also barely changes color with the first drop. Very close to pro kit results. the water will turn bluer after each drop when it turns green thats your alk reading. I just get to 8 drops with regular test kit, last time I checked with pro it was 7.8
I got to the "start" color after 6 drops. By the time I got to the green end color I was at 16 drops which is off the chart....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to the "start" color after 6 drops. By the time I got to the green end color I was at 16 drops which is off the chart....

How high is the top of the chart?

Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't measure things much any more because I know my procedures work for my system without testing anything except salinity and temp. I also monitor pH.

A Triton test recently confirmed that potassium, magnesium and calcium were as expected.

When I've measured alk in the past 10 years, it's been with a DIY titration:

https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/a-diy-alkalinity-test-by-randy-holmes-farley/

Okay. That looks hard to a person who went through high school, and basically 2 years of college with no chemistry, or biology. Blame the California public school system of the 60s. HA! I just ordered Hannah Checkers for Alka, calcium and phosphates. I will need to find a good way to do mag and nitrate. I still need to check things because I'm still too new and learning things--sometimes the hard way.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chart only goes up to 14 drops.

My question is what is the highest dKH the chart reads so I can assess whether a reading above that is reasonably possible, or incredibly unlikely.

Also, the chart is linear. If 10 drops = x dKH then 20 drops = 2x dKH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bumperbeetle

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...
Here is a pic of the test kit box, instruction page for KH test, and front/back of index card...
e9aea63cf3b0f5ebaaa1df183ea6fefa.jpg

afe3ccec843b7068dbd486c7dd28b136.jpg

3d7b2d120d883806a20d107052c4ab80.jpg

d03e314a967d19425d9473472f1f943d.jpg

Here is what my 5ml sample looks after one drop...significantly lighter than the start color..
618ad2238aa904592a328e567edd829d.jpg

It takes me 4 drops to get to the start color.
fcc014b121c8a6ec5c202c413e493796.jpg

And then another 10 drops to get to the end color of green.

With having to add additional drops in the beginning to reach start color, and reaching the 14 drop max on the card because of this, how should I read this?? My LFS is closed for the holiday wknd, but if you can help me make sense of this that would be much appreciated!

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a total of 15 drops, if I counted right? That would make dKH of 15.....1 drop per dKH.

reefingnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am reading this right then your alk is at 14 dkh. 4 to start color 10 more to end color total 14 drops = 14 dkh.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back