Red Sea Test Kit

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely weird that they are different but I have the foundation pro and have the blue-green test. I am also have trouble reading Alks test results. My alk is off the chart at 15( I think) not sure how to calculate the chart. I'm guessing my high Alk is what's making my hammer shrivel up. My flow is low to barely moving tentacles. Tank is 2 years old. Sg- 1.021, Ph-8.1, NH-0,NO-10,Ca-490 and having trouble calculating Mg on Titrator doser. Anyone experienced with reading Titrator and chart? Anyone know whats going on with my hammer?
IMG_20180112_173006390.jpg
IMG_20180112_173028391_HDR.jpg

Are you dosing anything?

LexiMag96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything?
I dose Nitrate Reducer and about once a week I dose red seas Reef Foundation ABC when my Ca levels are low. Last dose was about a week ago don't think I'm going to need to dose with a Ca level of 490 and afraid of raising my Alk. I've read that having a high Alk could bleach your corals? I have about 15 frags and all but my zoa's and newly aquired Hammer have lost most of their color.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Products that supply alkalinity and calcium (such as two part and three part systems designed for equal parts dosing) should not be dosed based on calcium demand, but on alkalinity demand. If you go base don calcium, the effect can be as you observe: alk may skyrocket.

For now, you don't need anything. I'd probably just let it decline on its own rather than trying to drive it down faster. You will find that the ratio int he decline is about 1.4 dKH per 20 ppm calcium. Letting both fall will bring you closer to NSW levels.

LexiMag96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Products that supply alkalinity and calcium (such as two part and three part systems designed for equal parts dosing) should not be dosed based on calcium demand, but on alkalinity demand. If you go base don calcium, the effect can be as you observe: alk may skyrocket.

For now, you don't need anything. I'd probably just let it decline on its own rather than trying to drive it down faster. You will find that the ratio int he decline is about 1.4 dKH per 20 ppm calcium. Letting both fall will bring you closer to NSW levels.
Thanks for the help. Is there anything I can do for the coral? A few days ago I started using Brightwell's Restor for coral tissue but haven't noticed any difference

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. Is there anything I can do for the coral? A few days ago I started using Brightwell's Restor for coral tissue but haven't noticed any difference

You mean because the alkalinity is high? Just make sure they have plenty of nutrients (N and P ) available. :)

LexiMag96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response on that issue. I now have another problem I'm having. My Aquatop canister filter has stopped pumping and completely stops everything like it shuts off, but then 15 minutes later clicks back on cycling water again for a few moments and shuts off again. It doesn't stay warm and there's no vibrations or noise. It just stops. I've previously run matrix in it so I thought maybe there's a rock stuck in it, but I've tried taking it apart checked the impeller and didn't see anything in it. I'm thinking maybe Ive missed taking something else in the head apart? My sand has turned completely brown even though I still have a HOB filter and skimmer.
PLEASE does anyone here know how to get an Aquatop canister filter to stop turning off/on It's gotta have some sort of timer right?

Lortayboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question. Thanks for asking. And if someone had answered that is sure, I missed it. I feel like it's the drops between that count or they wouldn't have a "start color" but I really don't know.

*Edit: I missed the second page. Thank you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back