Red Sea Testing Instruction Discrepancies...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I viewed the Red Sea video to see how they instruct you to test for nitrates. I notice some discrepancies between the video, the instruction booklet and the graphics card.

1. The book calls for 5ml of test water, while the graphic card and video call for 16ml.
2. The video calls for a vigorous shaking of reagent A, something not mentioned in the booklet or graphics card.
3. The video calls for 8 drops of reagent A, while the booklet and graphics card call for 5 drops.

And this is just testing nitrates.

I've been testing all week on an issue and now I am completely doubting my results.

Advice?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Hello Randy. I hope you don't mind my calling your attention to this post. I'd like your opinion.

Thank you.

Dom

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I viewed the Red Sea video to see how they instruct you to test for nitrates. I notice some discrepancies between the video, the instruction booklet and the graphics card.

1. The book calls for 5ml of test water, while the graphic card and video call for 16ml.
2. The video calls for a vigorous shaking of reagent A, something not mentioned in the booklet or graphics card.
3. The video calls for 8 drops of reagent A, while the booklet and graphics card call for 5 drops.

I've been testing all week on an issue and now I am completely doubting my results.

Advice?
Get the Salifert No3 test kit 1ml of water to test and the reagent and wait a few secs and it's over. A BRS video informed me how simple it was and it really is. Red Sea does have a good ammonia test kit which that's the one I use.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Salifert No3 test kit 1ml of water to test and the reagent and wait a few secs and it's over. A BRS video informed me how simple it was and it really is. Red Sea does have a good ammonia test kit which that's the one I use.

I'm going to pass on Salifert for now. I've made investment in Red Sea kits and intend to get my money out of them.

I've emailed Red Sea and am waiting for a reply.

They charge a good amount of money for these kits and I expect them to be consistent in their documentation.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Advice?
Are you confusing the nitrate test kit & the Nitrate PRO test kit?

I've never had any problem using the Pro test.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to pass on Salifert for now. I've made investment in Red Sea kits and intend to get my money out of them.

I've emailed Red Sea and am waiting for a reply.

They charge a good amount of money for these kits and I expect them to be consistent in their documentation.
I agree if you spend your hard-earned money then you should it's worth.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you confusing the nitrate test kit & the Nitrate PRO test kit?

I've never had any problem using the Pro test.

It's the combo pH/ALK.

And there isn't a problem with the test kit, it is the usage instructions and how they vary from the website, to the instruction booklet to the quick reference card.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the video it has a lot of mistakes in it, the booklet and the card are accurate.

How can that be? For example, the booklet calls for 5ml of test water, but the graphic quick reference card calls for 16ml.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the R.S. Nitrate PRO test kit, it's 16ml water.

Perhaps you got the wrong booklet, the booklet for their cheaper Nitrate test kit which may be a 5ml water test?

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my mistake the booklet for the pro test kit says 16ml and the normal one says 5ml I dont know witch test kit you have as I have a pro kit with the correct instructions for the pro kit.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Advice?
I believe you are confusing nitrite and nitrate

Nitrite requires 16ml whole both nitrate and ammonia require 5ml

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To echo GlassMunky... There are two Red Sea nitrate kits. Each kit provides for testing nitrates and nitrites. The amount of water required is different.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are confusing nitrite and nitrate

Nitrite requires 16ml whole both nitrate and ammonia require 5ml

I just checked the documentation. Both the booklet and the quick reference card say NO3. That is Nitrate...right?

You may be thinking of the dilution ratio for testing in the low and high range.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked the documentation. Both the booklet and the quick reference card say NO3. That is Nitrate...right?

You may be thinking of the dilution ratio for testing in the low and high range.
no im looking directly at my instructions for nitrite.... it says 16ml

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two different Red Sea nitrate test kits. One is the Nitrate Pro and it calls for 16 ml of sample and comparator water. The regular Nitrate/Nitrite test kit calls for 5ml of test water. You are looking at a video that's not for your product. It is a little confusing because not all sources sell both test kits.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no im looking directly at my instructions for nitrite.... it says 16ml

Below are photos of the test kit, booklet instructions and quick reference card. You can see that the card calls for 16ml when the booklet calls for 5ml.

I contacted Red Sea, and am awaiting their reply.

IMG_6825.JPG
IMG_6826.JPG
IMG_6827.jpg

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard back from Red Sea...

Apparently, I have the Nitrate Pro kit, but it was packaged with the standard Nitrate test kit instructions.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the round color "wheel" you have the Pro kit. If you have a rectangle card, it's the regular kit.

For the Pro kit is 16 ml water, 5 drops A, shake 15 seconds. One scoop B, shake 60 seconds. One scoop C, shake 15 seconds. Then wait nine minutes.

If you test more than 4 ppm you can use 8ml tank water and 8ml RO water, then double the result. Or 4ml tank water, 12 ml RO, quadruple the result. And so on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back