Red Sea VS. Cad Lights

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been throwing around ideas into going from my 40 gallon all the way up to about 100 gallons, or close to it. Just so everyone knows this is more or less a planning question and wont be built up for a year or two or who the heck knows.
Now my question to you guys is Red Sea Reefer XL 425 or the Cad Lights Artisan 2 100g tank! Persuade me!!!

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ive installed the Cadlight Artisan and the Red Sea Max for customers. The thing that bugs me on the Red Sea is the plumbing system. While it makes it extremely easy to set up its not simple swap out bulkheads. I prefer the finish of the artisan stands as well. Overall cannot go wrong with either

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive installed the Cadlight Artisan and the Red Sea Max for customers. The thing that bugs me on the Red Sea is the plumbing system. While it makes it extremely easy to set up its not simple swap out bulkheads. I prefer the finish of the artisan stands as well. Overall cannot go wrong with either

I have the gloss white artisan for 4yrs. The paint has inside cracks, the finish looks nice and glossy but shine a light on it and you'll see all the imperfection. I have the Reefer setup from Red Sea sitting in my basement and I think their stand just feels a lot more durable. I also like Red Sea sump, the skimmer compartment has a ton of room to fit almost any skimmer. Cadlights overflow box also takes up more space, just something to consider.

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the gloss white artisan for 4yrs. The paint has inside cracks, the finish looks nice and glossy but shine a light on it and you'll see all the imperfection. I have the Reefer setup from Red Sea sitting in my basement and I think their stand just feels a lot more durable. I also like Red Sea sump, the skimmer compartment has a ton of room to fit almost any skimmer. Cadlights overflow box also takes up more space, just something to consider.

Yea the Red Sea sump is wayy nicer than the cadlight

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the Red Sea. It may be pricier, but I have yet to hear any issues with anyone as far as getting everything they paid for or having issues resolved. CAD lights customer service is a nightmare. It seems the only way to get an immediate response it to leave a nasty message on their Facebook page. When all was said and done it took me over three weeks to get the tank and then another three weeks to receive the sump, lid, and plumbing they failed to send with the tank. When I finally got that the plumbing was cut the wrong size and the lid was smashed into a million pieces. I cut my losses and did the plumbing myself and made a screen for the top of the tank. I know I'm not the only one who has had issues. Just do a simple search on the forums and you'll see.

Mwells

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love both of them. That being said the quality on the reefer tank is great. The silicon is great and the overflow box is almost all glass. The top of the Reefer overflow is plastic, kind of bulky looking. But it is easy to clean. However, the Cadlights tank has better dimensions if you ask me, even if the overflow is larger I think the Cadlights Aquarium wins when it comes to the tank, simply because is deeper and tanks that are taller than they are deep is a thing of the past.

As for the stand and sump, I have to give it to the RedSea Reefer. The sump is more spacious yet space saving at the same time, and the interior of the RedSea Reefer stand is great.

My comparison is between the Cadlights 70, and RedSea Reefer 250. If the Reefer was 24 inches deep and 20 inches tall, or even 18 inches like the Cadlights. I think the majority of people would be pro Reefer.

James Weir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Red Sea and Cad Lights. The Artisan II stands are great...pretty hard to beat to be honest. Crappy hinges though. The glass work itself on the other hand...Red Sea 100% - I'd go as far as to say Red Sea is perfect while Cad lights is a hit or miss. And never perfect.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back