Red Sea's Reefer Lids

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reefm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built the cover for my Reefer 350 a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I had to cut the front piece. If you add the corner connectors to the front piece as is, I don't think it fits inside the tank.

Ah ok, that makes sense, thanks. I'll trim it tonight

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get one for my 525. BRS and marine Depot don't show them on their websites. Where is everyone buying them from?

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine for the RSR 525 xl... Overall I'm satisfied given the cheap price although it is somewhat flimsy and a PITA to assemble.
20180303_123402.jpg
20180303_180756.jpg

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get one for my 525. BRS and marine Depot don't show them on their websites. Where is everyone buying them from?
They don't sell a "525" cover. You have to order multiple smaller kits to get it to work. There is a guide at the bottom of this following website that lets you know what size you need. You should be able to get all the parts and sections from the vendors you mentioned. Of note you will need a hacksaw which you can pick up at Home Despot or Slowes for about 15$.
https://www.redseafish.com/customizable-diy-aquarium-net-cover/

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't sell a "525" cover. You have to order multiple smaller kits to get it to work. There is a guide at the bottom of this following website that lets you know what size you need. You should be able to get all the parts and sections from the vendors you mentioned. Of note you will need a hacksaw which you can pick up at Home Despot or Slowes for about 15$.
https://www.redseafish.com/customizable-diy-aquarium-net-cover/

For a 525 you would need 3 of the items R42083. I can't direct link to the page but do a search here and they will come up. https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got mine at saltwateraquarium.com. the 60x24 kit is all you need for a 525xl

Last edited:

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you need 1 or 3? I don't have a 525 but the website is confusing and now I'm curious.

I agree, it is confusing. It is best to get on the phone with them and walk thru it.

1 kit will take care of any tank for the most part. You may need the zigzag kits if you need cutouts for lights.

reefm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think eventually it'll work out and look nice but...

I had to order additional hanging clips, the center support on my 350 is not supporting anything but rather sagging the whole thing down. The 2 brace clips for the support that came with the kit are not like the ones pictured in the video, they only extend inwards toward the center beam, they don't extend towards the glass at all.

Also not sure how to route powerhead cables, the corner "clips" that come off are not thick enough so for now I'm using the larger zig zags on my radions just so I can pass powerhead cables in front of them.

On the brighter side, a Ryobi multitool cuts through these beams in about 20secs, just saying if you're tired of using a hacksaw :)

Still thinking this through, hence not installing the net yet...

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered mine from Salt Water Aquarium. I ordered extra pieces and parts. Just in case I screw up. I may also try and make a lift out feed door depending on how flimsy it is.

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK people, which one is the better choice? Mesh or the acrylic? Looking at purchasing a used 425 and really think a cover is a good choice...

Kavo11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those not looking to DIY a lid and want a premium product, I highly recommend @Top Lids. Fabio and Jared get busy so expect a wait, but there's no better lid on the market in my opinion. Hence why they're backed up with orders. Gorgeous lids, the ability to custom cut openings for feed doors, autofeeders, different lights etc. Here's some pics.

IMG_6317.jpeg

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6321.jpeg

IMG_6332.jpeg

IMG_6333.jpeg

IMG_6335.jpeg

IMG_6336.jpeg

IMG_6338.jpeg

IMG_6339.jpeg

Davetrue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could these lids be made of glass to cut down on evaporation and condensation ?

Davetrue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting a Red Sea 650 , but my last aquarium was open as well and caused bad condensation, l have to stop this from happening if possible and the only way I could see is to have lids made of glass or acrylc but am concerned about light penetration.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting a Red Sea 650 , but my last aquarium was open as well and caused bad condensation, l have to stop this from happening if possible and the only way I could see is to have lids made of glass or acrylc but am concerned about light penetration.

Proper gas exchange is the major issue with closed lids / glass tops. Lighting is second IMO

Whispers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7400F544-3820-48FB-A300-B9CAA3D01ADF.png I had an acrylic tank top all closed with 2foot cut outs with 2tops with no prob what so ever growing sps . But my sump was behind the tank in a diff room so I got all of my gas exchange from my sump . It could work if your sump is in a diff location not under your tank imo

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back