Red Sea's Reefer Lids

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SaltwaterAq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RS cover for a 525 has the center brace. How much light does it block? I have three Ethereal lights and the center one would obviously be directly over the brace.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RS cover for a 525 has the center brace. How much light does it block? I have three Ethereal lights and the center one would obviously be directly over the brace.
Any cover is going to effect PAR/light penetration somewhat. The spread from your two side lights should help compensate, but obviously having the bulky center brace is not optimal.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust where the center brace is by the free space available between curves. You should be able to make adjustments as needed. The braces below on the 750 have about 3 inches on each side of the brace to move.
RS Top.JPG

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New ones look cool. No sale for me without feeding door. The AA lid has kept my wrasses alive.... I literally hear at least one splash a day where wrasse would be carpet surfing....

akaemu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my diy frame built I’m not very DIYey but I’d highly recommend getting a new hack saw blade if that’s how you plan on cutting the aluminum for zig zags and the overflow.

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to list my AA Red Sea reefer Nano lid with feed door in the buy sell trade section. Breaking down tank.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need 4 zig zags! R42085

That's probably the biggest reason I haven't bought one of their lid kits yet. All the places I see them listed show them as back ordered. I should clarify, in the US they show back ordered. I found several places overseas that showed stock but freight and duties would kill you.

That, and I'm also concerned about the shadowing from the center brace(s).

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP Sheldon. I have my first fish fatality. My tail spot Blenny took a jump out of the tank last night. What really irks me is the tank cover showed up a few hours later.

I put together the Red-Sea cover twice. The first time I decided to use a tip I heard on BRS TV and use a hair dryer to shrink the mesh once installed. Since I don't have a hair dryer I used the stove. Bad idea. The picture with the hole in it is the result. All in all, it's not easy to put together, it requires a hack-saw, but looks and fits perfectly now. I only wish I had gotten it in a day earlier so my tail spot Blenny would have been okay. O-well. I got this off of fishtanksdirect.com

reefm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my kit and zig-zags!

Has anyone installed this on a Reefer 350 and can confirm whether you had to cut the front piece?

The Red Sea instructions for the RSR350 suggest cutting the front to 44.49 in, which does not appear to be wide enough to stay in place (the front piece as-is @ 46.5 in, already fits inside the 350 glass)

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built the cover for my Reefer 350 a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I had to cut the front piece. If you add the corner connectors to the front piece as is, I don't think it fits inside the tank.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, the less expensive Red Sea lid looks much better than my fancy AA one. The clear polycarbonate transmits light on the AA lid, which makes it glow. I find it so distracting I don't even use it. The black frame on the Red Sea stands out much less and actually works better with the black silicone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back