red turf algea help

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am currently fighting with the toughest type of algae I ever got yet . has anyone defeated red turf algae with success if so how. my cuc crew constantly trims it down but the base stays forming a mat like structure. a hydrogen peroxide dip isn't an option unfortunately .

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82C41DC5-CDC1-485E-A9EA-E1090810A44E.jpeg

Attachments

• 36700345-16B2-4100-AAEE-0ABE51A0E02F.jpeg
    36700345-16B2-4100-AAEE-0ABE51A0E02F.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 9 months old , successfully combated the ugly stage corals are growing and happy . Haven’t attached photos at the very beginning since I have asked for an ID before and it appeared to be red turf algae .
Asking for help on how to get rid of it , Thank you in advance !

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to beat it. I can mostly credit it to stability, weekly water changes, and a lot of work manually cleaning. It went from red, then to green, then to a bunch of grunge and detritus. Now rocks are clean again. This whole process took several months. You can see details in my build thread if you like. Also, I found top crown snails to be amazing at eating this and trochus work as well.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to beat it. I can mostly credit it to stability, weekly water changes, and a lot of work manually cleaning. It went from red, then to green, then to a bunch of grunge and detritus. Now rocks are clean again. This whole process took several months. You can see details in my build thread if you like. Also, I found top crown snails to be amazing at eating this and trochus work as well.
Can you provide more details on the manual cleaning please . I have tried brushing and scraping it but it won’t budge it’s strongly attached to the rock , moreover I am running a low nutrient system and have a mix of turbo and trochus snails . I guess patience is the key .

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in it's red form it was mostly just about patience. As it started to change color and die off slowly a lot of work with a tootbrush and turkey baster helped to keep the system clean.

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't belive that CUC do anything but trimming turf algeas.
I had like 7 months with a LOT of turf algeas in different colours (still have a few but that's not a problem) and tried all kind of bacteria product with no lock.
The turning point for me was daily dosing of live phyto and phosphate remover, and after like 2 months the algeas disappeared. I dosed (slowely ramping up) 1:1000 of the total water volume.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't belive that CUC do anything but trimming turf algeas.
I had like 7 months with a LOT of turf algeas in different colours (still have a few but that's not a problem) and tried all kind of bacteria product with no lock.
The turning point for me was daily dosing of live phyto and phosphate remover, and after like 2 months the algeas disappeared. I dosed (slowely ramping up) 1:1000 of the total water volume.
I have heard that tuxedo urchins can totally remove them of the rocks ,does anyone have enough info on that ?

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that tuxedo urchins can totally remove them of the rocks ,does anyone have enough info on that ?
I decided not to go that route as they move stuff around too much. But I can assure you top crown snails do indeed eat red and green turf algae. Wish I took a picture as you could see clear as day a crystal clear rock with the top crown while the rest of the tank looks like it was covered in a red velvet blanket.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I decided not to go that route as they move stuff around too much. But I can assure you top crown snails do indeed eat red and green turf algae. Wish I took a picture as you could see clear as day a crystal clear rock with the top crown while the rest of the tank looks like it was covered in a red velvet blanket.
Will give them a try , thanks .

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I just went through it:
20210124_180915.jpg

Pulled all of the rock and used this:
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1578.jpg

This is the rock today:
IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

Nothing else worked for me. You can read more on it here:

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U
Did you try top crown snails? Those guys did WORK on my rta.
Unfortunately I couldn’t find any around where I live visited 4 different stores and couldn’t find any. I live out side the us so ordering something online is out of the question. Will keep an eye out looking for them.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger Astraea Turbo Snails and Trochus snails also seemed to help for me. Hopefully you can get some of those. Another thing I did to help speed up the process was turkey baste the rocks from time to time. Only thing I would advise is just do a little at a time as it will kick up a lot of detritus which can hurt your livestock if it is overbearing.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger Astraea Turbo Snails and Trochus snails also seemed to help for me. Hopefully you can get some of those. Another thing I did to help speed up the process was turkey baste the rocks from time to time. Only thing I would advise is just do a little at a time as it will kick up a lot of detritus which can hurt your livestock if it is overbearing.
I have them both, they only seem to trim the algae down but not fully remove it from the "roots".
thanks again for your tips.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something else I found is if you let salt sit on effected rock for a short time it will turn the algae an orange color that will turn white in a couple of days and the snails will take care of the rest.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I am successfully being able to eliminate it using a blue tuxedo urchin.

Oerussc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling red turf algae for a few months now in my mixed reef. Using turbo snails, starry blenny, and a Kole tang and seem to be making some headway. Staying up on weekly water changes as well. All of the rocks were completely covered 3 weeks ago, starting to see bare rock now.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling red turf algae for a few months now in my mixed reef. Using turbo snails, starry blenny, and a Kole tang and seem to be making some headway. Staying up on weekly water changes as well. All of the rocks were completely covered 3 weeks ago, starting to see bare rock now.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Blue tuxedo urchins is what worked for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back