Red turf help

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been battling red turf algae for over a year now. I have just about ready to say screw it and just let it grow. From everything I have read and watch about nutrients in your tank doesn’t matter. I have completely bottomed them out and then taken them the other way with no luck. Clean up crew has been over loaded and nothing is touching it. I have a couple of turbos that are almost tennis ball sized and a blue tuxedo urchin. All them don’t touch it. Emerald crabs hermits and every type of snail don’t even bother with it. I got a algae turf scrubber but that hasn’t made dent in it. A funny thing about it is no red grows in it only green. I have drained the tank down and used hydrogen peroxide. That seems to kill it where it turns white and dissolves then above a month later it’s growing back in the same spots. What else could I have missed or can try. I’m at wits ends with this stuff.

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would check tds of rodi water. I ended up removing all my sand, changed rodi filters, and turkey baster. Thats what worked for me

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have/had the same issue for years. Crown snails will keep it in check. I did all the remedies recommended over the years. Nothing will irradiate it. I keep it in check is the best I hope for. Kinda like vermited snails.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have/had the same issue for years. Crown snails will keep it in check. I did all the remedies recommended over the years. Nothing will irradiate it. I keep it in check is the best I hope for. Kinda like vermited snails.
I have never had good luck with crown snails. I might have to get more and give them another try.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A toothbrush, elbow grease, and 20% water changes are your friends...don't give up, I went through a similar situation, but put the hard work in...and now I'm Gucci +

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heap also that I siphon out through a sock. When I upped my white lights the stuff really took off so I have backed whites down again but still have a heap..next I am gonna try h2o2 but with a plastic cup over the area to flood it and hopefully really kill it of.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%

Back