Red Turf?

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t tell what this stuff is. Red in color, slightly fuzzy and doesn’t blow off with turkey baster blast. Haven’t tried scrubbing. Was hopeful it was the start of coraline but I doubt it?

Thanks. Very hard to zoom into this back panel of the tank so apologies for bad photos. I’ll try to get some clearer pics.
IMG_6728.jpeg

IMG_6727.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t tell what this stuff is. Red in color, slightly fuzzy and doesn’t blow off with turkey baster blast. Haven’t tried scrubbing. Was hopeful it was the start of coraline but I doubt it?

Thanks. Very hard to zoom into this back panel of the tank so apologies for bad photos. I’ll try to get some clearer pics.
IMG_6728.jpeg

IMG_6727.jpeg
Looks more like a substance known as foraminiferan. They are made up of spheres and best removal (while some people keep them ) is to take rock out of the tank and place in container of water. You can try to press it down with thumb pressure and peel it back and remove otherwise scrub with firm brushes like below from Harbor freight.

detail brush.png

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like a substance known as foraminiferan. They are made up of spheres and best removal (while some people keep them ) is to take rock out of the tank and place in container of water. You can try to press it down with thumb pressure and peel it back and remove otherwise scrub with firm brushes like below from Harbor freight.

detail brush.png
Wow super interesting!! I’ll look into it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back