OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's wet! Looks like it passes basic leak check, but I'll leave it full for a few days.
20190916_193755.jpg

I also threw the rock in for a visual, looks like i need another 20lbs. What do you think?
20190916_191524.jpg

Still need to paint the back and overflow side. I'm thinking black to match the plastic wier. Finally making some headway, feels like this took forever!

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another box of rocks! 25lbs of Marcos reefsaver from BRS, asked for large pieces and they delivered, thanks guys!
7FF04203-C954-4806-9444-84C48691DDB7.jpeg

Just sitting out in the garage with the wife and here is what she came up with, she is definitely better at this than me!;Hilarious
9D06F02F-41DF-4E55-96BA-E6C3F14A8A92.jpeg
9E53B3DB-A1A6-43E3-9DD7-5C6BCF663C99.jpeg

I love the little coral “hot tub” on the left hand side.

What do you all think?

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the space ready for the tank. Pulled a dedicated 20A circuit and wired up a GFCI. While i was under the house i drilled for my auto water change hoses and put in a wall grommet
20190928_160153.jpg
20190928_160158.jpg

Didn't push it in all the way yet to make it easier to fish pipes though later

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much deliberation (probably way to much), i got the scape put in the tank!
15705028802673929199864681079549.jpg

For sand i am using TropicEden. I got 30lbs of reef flakes and 30lbs of mini flakes. I gotta say, the reef flakes are awesome and the blend so far is stunning. I'll have better feedback once all the water is in and i get some pumps going.
15705031463852295010248105714828.jpg

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!
I know it's been forever, at least it feels like it has. Life has gotten a bit busy of late.
Anyways, I got the tank the rest of the way filled and added salt. It's got a little powerhead keeping it mixed up for now. I threw in some brine shrimp last week to hopefully kick off the cycle. I've gotten the lights installed and most of the plumbing done. I think it would be done but my little one was 'helping' and i am a few fittings short. Im sure they will turn up somewhere :) lol. Anyways here are some update pics!
20191103_204120.jpg

20191103_204006.jpg

20191103_201102.jpg

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, short update. I have been feeding this tank every day or so and still haven't seen any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate.... am i missing something or is this just an exercise in patience? lol

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! It can take some time for the food to rot :) I dud the shrimp left it in till ammonia registered still took a few days with carcass hanging in tank. Here’s link on cycling has good info like watching ammonia to nit get to high ( I did and stalked for a bit)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cycling-an-aquarium.306554/

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any luck getting this baby kicked off?

While not a tank, I started pre-cycling my dry rock about a month ago. Filled a tote with salt water, threw in a powerhead and heater, dumped in a bottle of biospira and 2ppm ammonium chloride and was off to the races.

3 weeks later, ammonia and nitrate drop to zero within 24 hours. Just dosing ammonia now every 3 days or so to keep the cycle going while I wait on the tank to be set.

Maybe give biospira/Dr. Tim's a shot if the shrimp hasnt taken off?

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i should check my build thread more often! I didn't get a notification of your replies sorry ive been slacking! Thanks for the reassurance guys!

After a month and a half of nothing, no ammonia, nitrite or oddly nitrate, i was trying to figure out why i was getting 0s across the board and all i can think is that some bacteria must have survived deep in the rock. I had this rock in a tote in salt water for like 6 months prior to pulling it out to aquascape. Weird that it would though as i left it dry for like 2 weeks. I just figured I'd have to re-cycle it.

But, now for the big update, its ALIVE!

20191217_175850.jpg

I stopped at the LFS and they had a deal on firefish(he's hiding in the arch, the 2 aren't friends yet) so i picked one up figuring I'd verify the cycle...and i wanted one too... so after observation in he went. He's been doing awesome and levels are still great after 2 weeks. Seeing that stuff was going well, i had to put my foxface in! He has been in qt since i picked him up a month and a half ago and is now loving the extra swimming space.

So cool to finally see some critters enjoying their new habitat after all that work, really makes it feel worth while!
Can't wait for coraline and later corals!

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess i should check my build thread more often! I didn't get a notification of your replies sorry ive been slacking! Thanks for the reassurance guys!

After a month and a half of nothing, no ammonia, nitrite or oddly nitrate, i was trying to figure out why i was getting 0s across the board and all i can think is that some bacteria must have survived deep in the rock. I had this rock in a tote in salt water for like 6 months prior to pulling it out to aquascape. Weird that it would though as i left it dry for like 2 weeks. I just figured I'd have to re-cycle it.

But, now for the big update, its ALIVE!

20191217_175850.jpg

I stopped at the LFS and they had a deal on firefish(he's hiding in the arch, the 2 aren't friends yet) so i picked one up figuring I'd verify the cycle...and i wanted one too... so after observation in he went. He's been doing awesome and levels are still great after 2 weeks. Seeing that stuff was going well, i had to put my foxface in! He has been in qt since i picked him up a month and a half ago and is now loving the extra swimming space.

So cool to finally see some critters enjoying their new habitat after all that work, really makes it feel worth while!
Can't wait for coraline and later corals!

That's awesome! Have you started QTing your CUC?

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Have you started QTing your CUC?
No, I'm still trying to decide on crabs or snails. Or both. I'll probably end up with both. Probably better to get that going sooner rather than later lol, i am finally seeing nitrates!
Awesome to see you've finally gotten glass! Ive been following your reef pi too. I might have to steal a few of your ideas!

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, I'm still trying to decide on crabs or snails. Or both. I'll probably end up with both. Probably better to get that going sooner rather than later lol, i am finally seeing nitrates!
Awesome to see you've finally gotten glass! Ive been following your reef pi too. I might have to steal a few of your ideas!

Heh, I can almost see the finish line. Going to start plumbing in the coming weeks. In the meantime going to set up the fish and thr invert/coral QT tanks. Just a pair of 10g tanks.

Got a tote of 90lb of dry rock that's been cycled for close to 2 months now lol. Wife keeps asking when I'm getting my box of wet rocks off the floor. :D

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upcoming project: Auto water change, courtesy of my dad! They changed the water treatment method at his work and they were going to throw these away so he snagged them for me.
20200101_121056.jpg

Industrial dosing pumps!
Just gotta get a doubler kit so i can stack them both on the same motor to be sure to spin them at the same rate. And set up a reef pi to control them.... and set up a mixing station... so I'm practically done! Lol

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I was going to jump on reef pi but got lazy and bought a 2nd hand apex. Look forward to seeing you put this together a reefers dream auto water change ;Drool

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, really could use a full clean up crew right about now... looks like a diatom bomb went off in there! I would grab a pic but the lights are all off and everbody in there is bedded down for the night. Those fish, if you didn’t know they were in there you would never know it looking in at night. It is kinda cool to see the foxface start to camo up at night getting ready for bed. It is a great hider too, the first couple times I had to get a flashlight and make sure it was still in there! :p

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

they are pretty ugly! I’m going to do a 10% water change and clean the glass later today. I did put in 3 nassarius and 5 cerith in there the other day and they have started going to town. You can see their little paths of diatom destruction in the sand lol.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
image.jpg

they are pretty ugly! I’m going to do a 10% water change and clean the glass later today. I did put in 3 nassarius and 5 cerith in there the other day and they have started going to town. You can see their little paths of diatom destruction in the sand lol.

I was gonna say, if you don't have a CUC yet, now is a good time. :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back