ReddingReefer's Innovative Marine SR-60 Build Thread

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef,

I have been on the forums in the past, and a I am currently utilizing this forum for quite a bit of information as I start up my new tank, an SR-60 by IM. But first I'd like to give a little bit of information about myself. I grew up with fishtanks everywhere in my house, but didn't get into reefs until I was exposed in college. From then on I have had several tanks, ranging from Biocube 29 x 2, to a 55 gallon with custom reef rock wall, and now back in the game with an Innovative Marine SR-60.

Given life with small children and busy work, I did not want the hassle of upkeep of a sump and a larger system but wanted something bigger than Biocube or JBJ, so I decided on IM SR-60. I picked this tank because I liked the dimensions with shallow height.

Unfortunately when setting this tank up I could not find much information about this tank. So I was kind of left in the wind with trying to piece together some components.

Tank purchased in March 2020 from craigslist for $600 with stand. Along with the tank/stand I was given about 40lbs of mixed reef saver rock as well as Reef rock (man made and purple).

Tank was cleaned and filled for leak test with passing and then started to work on aquascape. I had decided on bare bottom for this tank again for ease of maintenance.
I had the tank up and running by the first week in March.
Cycled using Microbacter7 since everything was dry and dead when I started. Still waited about 2 weeks of ghosting feeding before adding pair of clowns and clean up crew.

Equipment:
Tank: Innovative Marine SR-60, non-pro model, this is the older tank.
Stand: IM piano black stand.
Returns: Didn't come with originals so went with Mj1200 x 2.
Return chambers: in tank filter floss baskets x 2.
Skimmer: Tunze 9004 DC
Reactor: IM midsize reactor, running carbon.
Lights: AI Prime 16 HD reef x 2 with 18" gooseneck mounts.
Flow: Returns are MJ1200 x 2 with a Nero 5 positioned on the middle back wall
ATO: Tunze ATO 3155
ATO Container: 10 gallon tank, filled half way unless we go for prolonged vacation.
RO/DI: BRS 75gpd unit, will be adding the water saver in the future for 150gpd, but mostly for the less waste production (living in California).
Temperature: Inkbird 306A
Heater: BRS titanium 100w heater
Dosers: Adding Ecotech Versa x4 with base, plans for 2 part, mag and possible carbon dosing in future vs amino acid dosing. Ordered but haven't received yet.

Livestock:
Ocellaris clowns Davinci pair
Clean up crew: ceriths, assorted hermit crabs, 2 emerald crabs. Was a package deal from reefcleaners
Plans? Wife likes Royal Gramma, possible adding a midas blenny, others tbd

Corals:
Local store had some sweet montiporas on sale so I couldn't pass up
Sunburst monitopora
Rainbow monitpora
Mystic Montipora
Chili pepper montipora with tiny fragment left behind of purple cap that is growing so far.
Trachyphyllia x 2, one rainbow and one red with yellow stripes
Button scolymia, green
Hammer coral

The tank is now on pause as the whole pandemic and stores closing and working in healthcare. But I will continue to update this thread and answer questions for those that may have a similar tank or idea of starting a IM SR-60 or SR-80 (same dimensions just foot longer)

Now some photos:
IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1722.PNG
IMG_1723.PNG
IMG_1724.PNG
IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and :

drawing-dolphins-hand-painted-dolphin-cartoon-image-and-fish-images (1).jpg

We are glad you joined us!

#reefsquad, show some love when you can! This tank could be a "365" tank!

@ReddingReefer, start a build thread here:

And you can get a "build thread contributor badge"!

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if you'd like, this can simply be moved over to the members tank forum and become your build thread. Just say the word and we'll make it happen.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave this one here as it's a AIO. Copy your original post and paste it over there. That way you get more views.

Or @dbl can make it happen like magic to the build forum! Lol

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome Flipper4pups!

How do I move this to the build tank thread? Or can a moderator move this thread there?

We were typing at the same time. I moved this one to the members tank forum and went ahead and put the build thread banner on your account, which is also a link to this thread.

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were typing at the same time. I moved this one to the members tank forum and went ahead and put the build thread banner on your account, which is also a link to this thread.
I have deleted the other thread and have changed title to have a moderator delete the thread. Thanks again!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build! I have a Lagoon 25 , kind of looks like a smaller version of your tank. Welcome to R2R

I'm really excited to see this tank grow! I'm really jealous of the scoly!

I've kept chilli pepper in the past and have a rainbow now in the Lagoon. The chilli pepper was a really fast grower.

As a frag
Chilli pepper 14-2-25.jpg

12 months later.
chilli pepper 15-2-27 (1 of 1).jpg

It grew over a cyphastrea which as you can see won the war!

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog Nice I looked into the Lagoons but couldn't find any used locally and came crossed the SR-60 and decided the extra volume was nice. I have read that the Chili pepper grows fast. Its hard to tell from my rock work but there is a large empty space in the back middle that I have trying to have the chili pepper and sunburst grow out towards each other.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog Nice I looked into the Lagoons but couldn't find any used locally and came crossed the SR-60 and decided the extra volume was nice. I have read that the Chili pepper grows fast. Its hard to tell from my rock work but there is a large empty space in the back middle that I have trying to have the chili pepper and sunburst grow out towards each other.

That should be fine, monti on monti isn't too bad....anything on cyphastrea doesn't go well for whoever isn't cyphastrea. :D

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine, monti on monti isn't too bad....anything on cyphastrea doesn't go well for whoever isn't cyphastrea. :D
Yeah I always try and group like with like and spaces in between. Since I am running bare bottom, I did have plans to place some cyphastrea in one corner of the tank and let them grow out across the bottom.

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody running an Ecotech Vectra S2? I don’t necessarily like the Mj1200 as they are pretty loud which I only realize when I turn them off to mess with the tank. Considering adding the Vectra knowing the Mobius app will be able to control in the “future”. Anybody with experience with these pumps? Silent? Heat issues? Thanks again. #reefsquad

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an S2 but have been running the slightly bigger M2 since it first came out. I control mine via Reef Link but honestly I really never change the settings or vary the return rate.

This pump has been bullet proof for me. Absolutely nothing bad to say about it. It's the quietest pump I've ever used. No heat issues at all (can't say that about my Panworld which is relegated to mixing station duty).

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to go with a Reef Octopus Varios 2. I have installed the pump. Overall flow seems less than with the 2 MJ1200s but tank is dead silent now. Still enough flow going through the rear chambers for me and can increase the Nero 5 flow rate to make up for the loss.

Plumbing this thing was a B though. Trying to get the single outlet split to the 4 return lines (also reason why the flow is reduced I'm sure).

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bacterial bloom and then algae shortly after that so I ended up making the back right chamber a refugium. Ordered the IM CheatoMax 9w just for its price and size. I have set it up on a smart timer to go on from sunset to sunrise, opposite my lights. Tanks cleared up and cheato is doing well. I have the Versa plugged but I have yet to decide on containers for 2 part and need the fittings to plumb them so they aren't running wight now. Hanna All checker coming in the mail soon, so should be able to figure out demand and get the 2 part up and running. Added a few more pieces or coral.

IMG_1857.JPG IMG_1859.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1862.JPG IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1874.JPG

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also scored a small torch that looked mostly browned up but with good polyp extension, but when looking closer looks like has potential to be a gold torch. Sometimes the tentacles appear to have the gold shade on the sides. Best part was it was $25 so if it ends up being a gold torch, yay me!

Also FTS included...iPhone quality.

IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1876.JPG

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.6%
Back