flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start! Any Pics with the sand?
First off I need to figure out a way to take decent pictures lol. But I guess I should throw a couple up before I'm inidated with algae lol.

b77a6d463c80f82fc31e8621293df310.jpg
5dc62c4302d8ea3e345e08e335fc5cce.jpg

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really coming together nicely! Looks awesome.

Thank you it means alot for all the pros to throw out compliments. Hopefully in April I'll have a CUC in there. All my plans for live stock and corals are basic so hopefully the tank will be successful. I tend to do simple builds.

REPOWER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The new scape looks nice also! Your initial scape, in my eyes, has more potential as you can gradually add a sloping effect towards the front of the tank if you want to add a flat zoa garden or something, maximizing the entire tank space. But you can also do that with the new scape - lol. Just a thought. Keep it up!

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new scape looks nice also! Your initial scape, in my eyes, has more potential as you can gradually add a sloping effect towards the front of the tank if you want to add a flat zoa garden or something, maximizing the entire tank space. But you can also do that with the new scape - lol. Just a thought. Keep it up!
Thanks Repower. The bottom center is kind of C shaped. I was going to try a small garden there. This isn't going to be anything exciting to you guys. All easy soft coral and maybe a favia and a candy cane.

Checked salinity its on point this morning 1.025. Changed the filter pad out probably didn't need to. I'm not happy with water volume between sump and display. I can't seen to get it right. I moved some out of the back to the front but didn't help. My OCD wants another half inch in the display.

REPOWER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Repower. The bottom center is kind of C shaped. I was going to try a small garden there. This isn't going to be anything exciting to you guys. All easy soft coral and maybe a favia and a candy cane.

Checked salinity its on point this morning 1.025. Changed the filter pad out probably didn't need to. I'm not happy with water volume between sump and display. I can't seen to get it right. I moved some out of the back to the front but didn't help. My OCD wants another half inch in the display.

Everything in this hobby excites me...I love them all! Regarding the display water level, google JBJ surface skimmers. I've seen a couple of IM lagoon 25 tanks with those things in use and successfully raised the level.

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 14
Salinity is good. Still not liking my ATO. Researched sump mechanics and the ATO itself no real solution. Cleaned glass. Floss didn't need replaced. Cycle nearly there. May add more bacteria today. On target for April cuc.

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 21

Already ditched the filter sock. Originally I thought I'd run one at one end of the sump. I have a bag of marine pure gems underneath the sock. So.... I switched to a second IM basket. I'm sure the intank are better but the IM baskets are nice enough IMO. Did my final bacteria dose. I am going to fire up the skimmer today for break in purposes.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note based on observation is that the inTank media basket runs tight against the aquarium walls compare to IM media basket; as least in my tanks. As a result if the filter is dirty, it can raise the water somewhat. With the IM media basket at least there is roomy for water to pas around if filter is clogged.

I use one on either side of the fusion 20 myself.

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note based on observation is that the inTank media basket runs tight against the aquarium walls compare to IM media basket; as least in my tanks. As a result if the filter is dirty, it can raise the water somewhat. With the IM media basket at least there is roomy for water to pas around if filter is clogged.

I use one on either side of the fusion 20 myself.
Yep I've read that but I think I'll be OK. They sure are convienent.

Fired up skimmer... Micro bubble city lol. Tank is coming along I'm getting closer.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider. You may want to put a sponge or something of sort as the water enter the area of the return pump to help with the micro bubbles. It may help somewhat. What could also help is face the water inlet on the return pump the other way (away from the skimmer direction). This would allow as many bubbles to pop before entering the return pump.

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider. You may want to put a sponge or something of sort as the water enter the area of the return pump to help with the micro bubbles. It may help somewhat. What could also help is face the water inlet on the return pump the other way (away from the skimmer direction). This would allow as many bubbles to pop before entering the return pump.
I may go to a sponge I'll give it a week or two to break in. Pods are in route.

REPOWER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

@reef-rc - you're spot on! Facing the return pump water inlet away from the skimmer eliminated the micro bubbles for me as well when I was playing around with orientation.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back